Russia's roster : first 10 players announced!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
wilka91 said:
First of all it's not a top 10, and second of all, Yashin and Tverdovsky would be on Canada's A team.

As for Khavanov and Afinogenov, they were simply selected for their value at international level.

Neither of those players would make Team Canada. Oleg Tverdovsky in particular is a depth defenseman. There's a reason he couldn't, or wouldn't stick over here. It's not because he's too good for the NHL that's for sure.

joe_shannon_1983*

wilka91 said:
First of all it's not a top 10, and second of all, Yashin and Tverdovsky would be on Canada's A team.

As for Khavanov and Afinogenov, they were simply selected for their value at international level.

No, neither of them would make Canada's A team.

Especially Tvedovsky. Who is he going to replace: Pronger, Blake, Niedermayer, Foote, Redden, Jovanovski, Brewer, and Regehr?

And Yashin would not make it either. Too many good centres ahead of him in the Canadian system.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
wilka91 said:

Tverdosky probably wouldnt crack Canada's B team let alone the A team and that goes for Yashin as well.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Tverdovsky, a guy no NHL team wanted this year, would make Canada's A team? I think not. Neither would Yashin, for that matter. The guy has proven time and again in his career that he disappears in big games.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think this is Ovechkin's unofficial tryout for the NHL. Washington scouts are going to watch this guy for every second he's on the ice, and many other NHL teams. Depending on how he plays in this tournament will probably determine what teams are willing to trade, or if Washington will want to trade at all.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
wilka91 said:

i understand he's mentionned of this has the top10 russia players can have made you a little mad but come on ;) I mean... Lecavalier have not been put on Team Canada and I could probably add 1-3 centers from Canada you need to pick before Yashin that are not making Team Canada. He would make team B possibly team C depending of the needs.

And Tverdovsky!!!!! ????????? There's at the very least another 10 (not counting Team A defs.), probably a lot more who need to be rank ahead of him.

Eldrick

Apr 23, 2004
wilka91 said:

Afinogenov has consistently answered the call for Russia internationally and has played well for them, particularly in the Olympics where he was a very pleasant surprise for the team.

NewHabsEra*

wilka91 said:

If only Yashin has a heart..

Last edited by a moderator:

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
wilka91 said:
I haven't seen him play much, but from what I've seen, Ovechkin is like Kovalchuk minus Kovalchuk's stupidity, that is to say Ovechkin makes passes and doesn't just shoot the puck from everywhere hoping it will bounce in the net. :banana:

You also have to mention that Ovechkin doesn't have Kovalchuk's sniping ability. He has to work harder for his goals, but imo is a better overall player. I've see Ovechkin play live twice and on tv in this years WJC and WC around ten times.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Andrei Andrei Andrei!!!!!!!

So glad to see him on the roster, those who don't know Markov, will discover an incredible d-man, I'd say he's russia's top 3 d-man. Technical, great passer, great shot, smart on PP, smart on defence..

Scary moment; Khavanov, Zubrus, Nikolishin and Tverdovsky. They are good, but are they as good as what we expected? mnnyeaaaaaah; I always liked Khavanov and Zubrus (? nash :D ?)..lately thought that Nikoishin was overated ( Korolyuk seemed better) .. Tverdovsky..means a better d-man isin't on the roster.

ilvins

Apr 6, 2003
Latvia
Visit site
I don't get it how Zubrus could play for Russia? He has no connections with Russia whatsoever - he was born in Lithuania; learned to play hockey in Ukraine and went to North America as teenager. I'm sure he don't have Russian citizenship. Things must really be bad in Russian Ice hockey, if they are looking to Lithuanian Ice hockey players to play in Russian National team.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:

:lol Please stop it already. Tverdovsky wouldn't even crack Canada's B team. And what has Yashin accomplished lately to merit a spot on Team Canada? Vincent Lecavalier who is a much more valuable player has not been selected and you think Yashin would? :joker:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Have any of you seen Tverdovsky play last season? This was the best season of his career. Now I'd like to remind you that he has ranked in the NHL's top 5 defensemen in scoring a couple of times, and now he's obviously playing better. I'm not saying he has been included for his physical play, but at least 3 D-men on the Canadian roster are worse than Oleg.

As for Yashin, it's funny how you guys like to compare him to players who didn't make Canada's team. Let me remind you that Steve Yzerman is on your team, so it's not worth arguing. And if you're questionning Yashin's heart, all I can say that playing for the Islanders or Senators is not the same for a Russian as playing for your country.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
jcs_1983_shannonman said:
No, neither of them would make Canada's A team.

Especially Tvedovsky. Who is he going to replace: Pronger, Blake, Niedermayer, Foote, Redden, Jovanovski, Brewer, and Regehr?
Brewer!

Eric won´t be playing much anyway...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Kronblom said:
Brewer!

Eric won´t be playing much anyway...

The question is not who he could replace who, but once again, and I repeat myself, a player's value is NOT based on his play in the NHL. If you think so, you're making a mistake. And I know most Canadians think that way.

A player like Pronger would never be included on Russia's team, he would be useless. So would be Foote, Brewer, Redden and Regehr. They're all great, but they simply wouldn't fit into Russia's system.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
wilka91 said:
The question is not who he could replace who, but once again, and I repeat myself, a player's value is NOT based on his play in the NHL. If you think so, you're making a mistake. And I know most Canadians think that way.

A player like Pronger would never be included on Russia's team, he would be useless. So would be Foote, Brewer, Redden and Regehr. They're all great, but they simply wouldn't fit into Russia's system.
Both you and I had Oleg Tverdovsky as a lock on the russian World Cup team. And I know that canadians play different than europeans..........

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
wilka91 said:

All good and nice but Russia doesnt have a system right now ,these is their biggest problem...Well new coach,lets wait and see ;)

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Mistake to include Ovetchkin imho.
He was out of his depth on the top lines at the World Championships, there he was good enough for a 3rd/4th line role but wasn't good enough for the top 2 despite Tikhonov playing him there.

Now with an alien surface (NHL sized) against far bigger players... tsk tsk..

If Ovetchkin wasn't good enough for top 6 in World champs, how would he be possibly good enough for top 6 in world cup?
And he's a waste as a bottom 6 player, rather have the guys who can do that job properly..

Unless they're taking him along for experience, but he won't light up this tournament, he's not now what Eric Lindros was in the Canada Cup in '91. Ovetchkin is not a star at this level now, and won't be.

Next season he'll be frontrunner for Calder, sure, and he'll have a great career... but he's not ready for the World Cup.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Zubrus is actualy Lithuanian

WHy did Khavanov get named so early? And Oleg Tverdovsky must have called in a favor to get named this early. Has he ever even played for Russia? I do not recall, I know he's from Ukrane but I know he didn't play for them. I guess he was in the Olympics.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dark Metamorphosis said:
yea, let's draw conclusions based on video highlights.

While everything I've heard about Ovechkin has been positive, I agree with what you're getting at. Let's wait until he actually makes a NHL team and sticks for a couple of years before anointing him the messiah. There have been too many players who have looked good on tape, or have had their moment in the sun that have flamed out. Jani Rita anyone? I'm not saying Ovechkin won't be great. but let's hold our horses.

Last edited:

Macman

May 15, 2004
wilka91 said:

The World Cup is going to be played on NHL ice with NHL rules, so you're making a huge mistake if you don't pick players based on their value in the NHL. As for a guy like Pronger not being able to make the Russian team, that's preposterous. The guy's huge, can skate, hit, pass and score. Precisely the qualities Fetisov had, as I recall. As for Tverdovsky having his best year ever, who knows? It was in Russia, not the NHL, so there's no way of really knowing what that means. I guess we'll find out in August.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Macman said:
The World Cup is going to be played on NHL ice with NHL rules, so you're making a huge mistake if you don't pick players based on their value in the NHL.

Canada Cup 1987. That team was full of nobodies. They still managed to play evenly with Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad