Russia's roster : first 10 players announced!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
TEAM RUSSIA World Cup ROSTER

D Sergei Gonchar, Bos.
D Andrei Markov, Mon.
D Alexander Khavanov, Stl.
D Oleg Tverdovsky, Omsk

F Alexei Yashin, NYI
F Sergei Samsonov, Bos.
F Dainius Zubrus, Was.
F Maxim Afinogenov, Buf.
F Andrei Nikolishin, Col.
F Alexander Ovechkin, Dynamo
F Oleg Kvasha, NYI
F Alexei Zhamnov, Phi.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ZBORNAJA said:
Ok list so far except Khavanov but since Zubov,Zhitnik and maybe some other D wont play he is ok :yo:

Don't get me wrong, he has talent and plays well for a stretch, but I have seen few players prone to such massive brain farts. Oh well, hopefully he'll play as much for you as he did for the Blues.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
wilka91 said:
Viktor Tikhonov gave Sport Express (link) the names of 10 players who will play a the World Cup this summer. These players have already been contacted, and gave their consent to play.

Here's the 10-man list :

D Sergei Gonchar, Bos.
D Andrei Markov, Mon.
D Oleg Tverdovsky, Omsk
F Alexei Yashin, NYI
F Sergei Samsonov, Bos.
F Dainius Zubrus, Was. (I didn't even know he's Russian!!!)
F Maxim Afinogenov, Buf.

The rest of the list should be announced early tomorrow, but it's important to notice that nobody refused to play so far of the 26 players that were contacted, but 16 of them didn't give an answer yet.

With the exception of Khavanov this looks pretty decent. Guys like Nikolishin will prove very valuable.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
Alexander "Sasha" Khavanov? Mr. Healthy Scratch for the Blues? Yikes.............
Some players are better suited for International hockey... not the NHL.

He may be one of those guys that plays well for the national team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
Some players are better suited for International hockey... not the NHL.

He may be one of those guys that plays well for the national team.

You mean international hockey played on a NHL sized ice surface? We'll see how much of a contribution he can make, positive or otherwise.

Vic Rattlehead*

Congrats to Samsonov and Gonchar! :yo:

Khavanov is surprising. :p:

joe_shannon_1983*

So Ovechkin made it as an 18 year old.

I wonder if he will actually play, or just sit and watch?

Regardless, I am excited to see Ovechkin against NHL competition as there has been a lot of hype around him.

I have heard people say that he makes Ilya Kovalchuk look like Wade Belak.

joe_shannon_1983*

By the way, what time tomorrow is the rest of the roster supposed to be named?

The Eastern Time Zone is 8 hours behind the time zone Moscow uses.

I am curious as to if I may see this roster before I go to bed, probably around 2AM Eastern time.

joe_shannon_1983*

Alex Kovalev said:
Who ever told you that is nuts

I have heard more than one person say that, or similar things.

Someone told me specifically that Ovechkin made Kovalchuk look like Belak.

And then another guy said that Ovechkin in his prime will outscore Kovalchuk in his prime by 30 points.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
jcs_1983_shannonman said:
I have heard people say that he makes Ilya Kovalchuk look like Wade Belak.

I haven't seen him play much, but from what I've seen, Ovechkin is like Kovalchuk minus Kovalchuk's stupidity, that is to say Ovechkin makes passes and doesn't just shoot the puck from everywhere hoping it will bounce in the net. :banana:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Boomhower said:
I think you can put Afinogenov in the same category as Khavanov, why include him?

Why include Khavanov? He's not a very good defenseman, plain and simple. He's got some offensive talent, but that's it.

NewHabsEra*

wilka91 said:
Viktor Tikhonov gave Sport Express (link) the names of 10 players who will play a the World Cup this summer. These players have already been contacted, and gave their consent to play.

Here's the 10-man list :

D Sergei Gonchar, Bos.
D Andrei Markov, Mon.
D Oleg Tverdovsky, Omsk
F Alexei Yashin, NYI
F Sergei Samsonov, Bos.
F Dainius Zubrus, Was. (I didn't even know he's Russian!!!)
F Maxim Afinogenov, Buf.

The rest of the list should be announced early tomorrow, but it's important to notice that nobody refused to play so far of the 26 players that were contacted, but 16 of them didn't give an answer yet.

This is a pretty weak top 10!! Guys like Zubrus, Nikolishin, Yashin, Tverdovsky, Khavanov would even not crack team Canada #3!

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Why include Khavanov? He's not a very good defenseman, plain and simple. He's got some offensive talent, but that's it.

Why include Afinogenov. You said Khavanov was the only one who didn't belong, I agree he doesn't belong, but neither does Afinogenov IMO.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
NewHabsArea said:
This is a pretty weak top 10!! Guys like Zubrus, Nikolishin, Yashin, Tverdovsky, Khavanov would even not crack team Canada #3!

First of all it's not a top 10, and second of all, Yashin and Tverdovsky would be on Canada's A team.

As for Khavanov and Afinogenov, they were simply selected for their value at international level.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Boomhower said:
Why include Afinogenov. You said Khavanov was the only one who didn't belong, I agree he doesn't belong, but neither does Afinogenov IMO.

Gotcha. You're right, Afinogenov, and perhaps Tverdovsky are questionable as well.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
wilka91 said:
First of all it's not a top 10, and second of all, Yashin and Tverdovsky would be on Canada's A team.

As for Khavanov and Afinogenov, they were simply selected for their value at international level.

I don't think Tverdovsky would make Canada's A team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad