Russia's Goaltending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
Russia's goaltending is definately their weak spot. I heard that Bryzgalov might be their starter? Is this true? If so do you think he will be able to hold up against all that talent? How's it looking.

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
Well it all depends on who the starting goaltender is. Evgeny Nabokov had knee surgery, so he's a question mark yet. But I think (though I maybe wrong here) that Nabokov has be cleared to play. Maybe someone else could give you a clearer answer on that. I feel better with him as a starter than Bryzgalov (I still wish Khabibulin was playing :shakehead ). Always go with the guy who has the NHL experience since this is basically an NHL tournament.

Phanuthier*

I wonder if Andrei Medvedev will be given a shot

I believe he's the most successful Russian goalie in international tournament play?
(I read that somewhere, but I have a hard time believeing he's more successful then Tritek, or however you spell his name.)

AK-63

Jan 4, 2004
Nabokov has not been cleared to play and goaltending coach Tretiak just declared that if he is unable to play Bryzgalov will be the first choice keeper. After then Fomichev (ex-Oiler prospect I believe) and only then Sokolov. He explained his reasoning by experience on North American soil which the latter doesn't have.

Last edited:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
AK-63 said:
Nabokov has not been cleared to play and goaltending coach Tritiak just declared that if he is unable to play Bryzgalov will be the first choice keeper. After then Fomichev (ex-Oiler prospect I believe) and only then Sokolov. He explained his reasoning by experience on North American soil which the latter doesn't have.
Is there a deadline for Nabby's decision?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This is beginning to sound like one of those stories where Russia is deemed to have no chance because of their goaltending, and Bryz is named World Cup MVP.

Or, my imagination's getting to me again. Either way, good for Bryz is he starts. He could definetely prove himself worthy to alot of people.

AK-63

Jan 4, 2004
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Is there a deadline for Nabby's decision?

He will have an examination with team medics this week. If there is a slightest chance he can recover (even if it'll happen for the end of the tournament), he will be included on team's roster.

And in that case, despite Tretiak's priorities, I think Fomichev will be left out of the squad, not Sokolov. This last senetnce is my speculation, not what he said.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
AK-63 said:
Nabokov has not been cleared to play and goaltending coach Tretiak just declared that if he is unable to play Bryzgalov will be the first choice keeper. After then Fomichev (ex-Oiler prospect I believe) and only then Sokolov. He explained his reasoning by experience on North American soil which the latter doesn't have.
It is highly likely that if Nabokov does not play, then Bryz will be given a shot at no. 1. Bryzgalov is close to Tretiak and attends his goalie camp, as does Nabokov.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Splatman Phanutier said:
I wonder if Andrei Medvedev will be given a shot

I believe he's the most successful Russian goalie in international tournament play?
(I read that somewhere, but I have a hard time believeing he's more successful then Tritek, or however you spell his name.)

Andrei will likely be the backup (or even the 3rd goalie, behind both Volkov & Glebov) for Spartak next year. I think the Russians can come up with someone better, if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad