Russians stay home

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
After Kuznetsov, Tarasenko anounced that he is going to stay in Russia for another year. Both brightest stars from the 2011 WJC winning roster aren't going to play in NA next season. Is it a sign of the things to come? How willl the "russian factor" affect future NHL drafts?

Fulcrum

I don't think that it will significantly effect future drafts for the Russians. I am sure that there is an understanding in NHL organizations that this is not a rejection, but it is just a thoughtout delay. In the end, these players will join NHL and most likely will be quality players. That's what matters in the end.

At what ages did Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk make the jump?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
At what ages did Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk make the jump?

That's the point. Ovechkin and Malkin came exactly the age of Tarasenko. Kovalchuk even earlier. Kuznetsov would be on pace with Kovalchuk this year. So they are coming later at least a year. Could be a trend.

heutZe

Sep 15, 2010
Norway
It is not hard to understand them. America is far away from home and since the KHL is a much better league to develop than the old Superleague it's easy to see why Russian stars are not coming across the pond as easily as they did before.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
That's the point. Ovechkin and Malkin came exactly the age of Tarasenko. Kovalchuk even earlier. Kuznetsov would be on pace with Kovalchuk this year. So they are coming later at least a year. Could be a trend.

Kovalchuk came over at 18. Ovechkin came over at 19/20 due to the lockout. Malkin came over at 20 (2 years after the draft).

Tarasenko and Kuznetsov aren't as developed talents as the those three, especially Kovy and Ovechkin. It's probably a good thing that they remain in Russia for another year and it doesn't really signal anything other than the belief that they don't think they are NHL ready yet.

Fulcrum

So they are coming later at least a year. Could be a trend.

You're right- it could very well be a trend, and would be a real breakthrough for KHL to keep a young star at home permanently. I think someday it will happen, but I also think we're far away from that, at this point.

It's pretty much the "best league/top level vs ..." argument. On one hand a player should come to NHL to be the best he can be and test himself, on the other hand - it's respectful to stay home and develop not just yourself- but the home league.

I think a good example for Canadians would be their best soccer players coming home to develop the game in Canada.

Fulcrum

That was the plan, the club is expecting him back for next season. Unless he can make Kings' roster, no point for him to stay in N.A.

JesusBouillon

Jan 29, 2009
You're right- it could very well be a trend, and would be a real breakthrough for KHL to keep a young star at home permanently. I think someday it will happen, but I also think we're far away from that, at this point.

It's pretty much the "best league/top level vs ..." argument. On one hand a player should come to NHL to be the best he can be and test himself, on the other hand - it's respectful to stay home and develop not just yourself- but the home league.

I think a good example for Canadians would be their best soccer players coming home to develop the game in Canada.

Develop the game? Isn't hockey already a major sport in Russia?

Fulcrum

Develop KHL to be competitive with NHL, as funny as it may sound to some, those are the goals of KHL...

eventually :)

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
After Kuznetsov, Tarasenko anounced that he is going to stay in Russia for another year. Both brightest stars from the 2011 WJC winning roster aren't going to play in NA next season. Is it a sign of the things to come? How willl the "russian factor" affect future NHL drafts?

Well, it has already affected the draft. That's the reason the sens traded his pick for Rundblad in the first place.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Develop KHL to be competitive with NHL, as funny as it may sound to some, those are the goals of KHL...

eventually :)

Yeah, but so far it leads only to ovepricing of pretty average players. Btw, the same we see in Russian football. It doesn't make leagues better...

Pitlick*

Take Tarasenko, for example. He is a rising star in Russia. Maybe a KHL team will give him $5+ million per year for the next 3 years. His alternative is signing an entry level NHL deal at about $1 million for the next 3 years. I wouldn't blame Tarasenko one bit if he decided to stay home and make way more money.

If Tarasenko does what Yemelin did, wait until he is 25-26 to go to the NHL, he only has to sign a 1-year entry level deal (at $1 mil.), then he can make more money in year 2, and be a UFA in year 2-3.

This is why it's tough to draft Russians early.

Pitlick*

Well, it has already affected the draft. That's the reason the sens traded his pick for Rundblad in the first place.

Sens would have taken someone else. They don't draft Russians. They liked Rundblad way better than this someone else.

The Sens wait until Russians are over 35 and in decline before they are interested.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Well Rundblad is another european. Of course, swedes aren't that hesitant to come over as the russians now, but they still have not a bad league at home and the KHL nearby. Idon't think that was the point for Ottawa. It was definitely more that they wanted a D-man.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, but so far it leads only to ovepricing of pretty average players. Btw, the same we see in Russian football. It doesn't make leagues better...

You have to make that step first (overpricing). Otherwise there is no reason for anybody to come over. That way the trend is created for older guys to play the last years of their careers there. They become metors to the young players first AND they start to raise the bar of the league overall. Of course there is a negative effect of overpricibg average players as you said. But that I think is a necessaary loss if you want to build a serious league in the future. I do not agree with your statement that it wouldn't make the league better. In KHL it already has done exactly that.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think it is an issue that teams will be more hesitant to draft Russians. I think a lot of teams already are and have been for some time. Some more than others.

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Kirill Petrov's contract was a big factor in his draft year - but I think it might be up now... will be interesting to see if he comes over...

Apr 6, 2011
These 2 were already drafted much later than if they had been canadians.

I think every NHL team already has its vision towards the issue. Some teams will never touch a russian with a 7th-rd pick pole, but I guess some teams like both NY / Washington calculate it's worth risking a couple picks to steal elite talent.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
granlund's staying another year in Finland, Fin Factor?

lol anyway, there are lot of different factors to take into account for that kind of decision, especially at that age. I believe senko will come to the NHL when hes ready, which in a way is a good thing. hes mature enough to know if hes ready or not, instead of just coming over prematurely in hopes of playing in the NHL.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
more roster spots for other players to enter the league at 18 and be significantly better developed in all hockey aspects by age 20.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
If the Russian prospect is playing in one of the CHL leagues (Burmistrov or Yakupov for example) then I don't think it's an issue. They'll go the CHL/AHL route if they have to. Obviously the ones in the KHL...if they can't make the NHL teams as a regular then they'll stay in the KHL rather than joining a CHL or AHL team.

There are exceptions and Kitsyn is a good one as someone mentioned because he joined his OHL club after getting little ice-time from his KHL one. Btw, Kitsyn is going back to Russia according to him but not because he doesn't wanna play in the NHL right now. He just hasn't been offered a contract yet I think. He said barring something remarkable he'll return to the KHL meaning that if the Kings don't offer him a contract but I wouldn't worry. He's NHL ready and the Kings should sign him this year but they'll probably do it next year.

VladNYC*

If the Russian prospect is playing in one of the CHL leagues (Burmistrov or Yakupov for example) then I don't think it's an issue. They'll go the CHL/AHL route if they have to. Obviously the ones in the KHL...if they can't make the NHL teams as a regular then they'll stay in the KHL rather than joining a CHL or AHL team.

There are exceptions and Kitsyn is a good one as someone mentioned because he joined his OHL club after getting little ice-time from his KHL one. Btw, Kitsyn is going back to Russia according to him but not because he doesn't wanna play in the NHL right now. He just hasn't been offered a contract yet I think. He said barring something remarkable he'll return to the KHL meaning that if the Kings don't offer him a contract but I wouldn't worry. He's NHL ready and the Kings should sign him this year but they'll probably do it next year.

Just so you know, Tarasenko was promised by the Blues that if he came over it would be straight to the NHL and he would not see any AHL time. So there are other factors then just not wanting to play in the CHL/AHL or not being able to get a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad