Russians players confident to press

• Thread starter joe_shannon_1983*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
Russian translated straight to english doesn't always flow smoothly. They use terms that aren't really used here in NA and use their vocab. differently. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a tad overembelished.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
MOGiLNY said:
As somebody said, it's hard to translate Russian perfectly into English.

I'm willing to bet, all they said was that they have to play their own game, which is based around skill and if they can do that, they can win.

I see nothing wrong with that. Otherwise, I guess Canadian players saying they have to play defense is them talking trash too :S

Also, I'd like to add. Last year TSN tried to make Ovechkin look like an arrogant ***** too, but then he came to the NHL, and coaches and teammates have had nothing but good things to say about him. TSN again is trying to cause some extra controversy.

The quotes mean nothing, really. If anyone finds offence with a little pre-game verbal sparring they're wound up way too tight. :)

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Adapting Winston Churchill's saying to this occasion: those who do not talk trash when they are teens do not have a heart, those who still do when they are 30, do not have a brain :D

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
"What can I say? Team Canada is a good team. It will be playing with crazy support from the fans. I think it will be a very intersting game. All I have left is to hope that this time, the result will be different from last year". - Evgeni Malkin

http://metallurg.ru/news/21406/

Those damn Russians just won't stop talking trash, eh?

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
lisario said:
And that doesn't even take into account some of the Russian "fashion" choices.

<-----

:biglaugh: So true. What on earth was Ovechkin wearing at the warm-up before the Ottawa/Washington game :p:

joe_shannon_1983*

willie said:
The only thing I take some offense to is the inference that not only is this year Russia's team more skilled than Canada but that Russia has historically been consistently more skilled. (and this is particularly evident amongst Russian posters on these boards) If you look at the most skilled players throughout the history of hockey, Russia might be as talented as Canada. Maybe. I personally don't think so but - admittedly - I am biased on that count.

There is this misconception - at least from Russians - that because Canadian teams are usually the most well rounded teams, they are lacking in the skill department.

Agree completely.

As for the 70's, Russian's top players weren't as skilled as Canada's. I have seen many Kharlamov games (Kharlamov is supposedly the 'kingpin' of skilled Russians), and the guy seems over-rated to be honest with you. I think a guy like Guy Lafleur was more skilled and more dangerous. And the other Russian skill players from the 70's (Mikhailov, Petrov) were inferior to Canadian counterparts as well.

As for the 80's, as good as Makarov/Larionov/Krutov were, they were not nearly as skilled as a primed Gretzky, a primed Lemieux, or a primed Bossy were. This was evident at a few Canada Cup's, when for the most part, the KLM line didn't dominate nearly as much as the top Canadians did (1981 was an exception, mind you).

As for the 90's, Fedorov/Bure/Mogilny were very skilled. But not any more skilled than Sakic, Yzerman, Kariya, Lemieux, or a handful of other Canadians were.

As for the 00's, Russia brings a lot of skilled players to the table in Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and etc. But so does Canada in Crosby, Spezza, Heatley, and etc. Russia doesn't have the distinct advantage in skill.

In addition, Russia has lacked the depth in all 3 decades that Canada has had. This lack of depth is what really damages Russia's claim that they have always been more skilled.

Once you get past the top few Russians from every decade, they begin to slump in the skill department, as opposed to Canada who has had much more depth in skill players.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Chinaski said:
пиздец долбоеб :biglaugh:

Latyshi huzhe... :teach:

It's always the same bullcrap every year. Little something a russian said that is going to be stapled on the board in Canada's dressing room to motivate them.. bla, bla, bla... It's so ridiculous. They should go watch some Molson Canadian ads or lick some maples.. same crap.

Crystal ballz says; TSN will say Russia plays homo hockey because they can dangle and it so gay, russians dive all over, Malkin is good but his attitude is wrong, Russia beat US because US was fatigued; no talent issue there......

TSN turds will prolly speak about the guy who wears the 66 in RSL ( don't remember who, Lemtyogov?).. Might they add that Pogge rocks Patrick Roy's 33 ...Who the hell is Pogge?

lisario

Feb 10, 2005
MOGiLNY said:
those were some hot yellow slippers

Read about the slippers in the Washington paper. What's scarier is some of the Craps are wearing neon pink ones.

But Ovechkin, yeah, he strives to be the height of fashion.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Slick Nick said:
Latyshi huzhe... :teach:

It's always the same bullcrap every year. Little something a russian said that is going to be stapled on the board in Canada's dressing room to motivate them.. bla, bla, bla... It's so ridiculous. They should go watch some Molson Canadian ads or lick some maples.. same crap.

Crystal ballz says; TSN will say Russia plays homo hockey because they can dangle and it so gay, russians dive all over, Malkin is good but his attitude is wrong, Russia beat US because US was fatigued; no talent issue there......

TSN turds will prolly speak about the guy who wears the 66 in RSL ( don't remember who, Lemtyogov?).. Might they add that Pogge rocks Patrick Roy's 33 ...Who the hell is Pogge?

:biglaugh: I stopped licking maples after a severe case of slivers in the tongue. Beavers however are still on the menu :)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
When talking of Russian fashion how can it go three posts without mention of Kovalchuk and his skirts (kilts???)?

Fedorov had some crazy threads back in the day.

Phanuthier*

Russia might have more skill, but that doesn't always mean the more skilled team will win. I'll agree that they do have alot of talent, and a juggernaut with Malkin, but you don't get a prize for being the most skilled - you get gold for the big W, and that's all that really matters.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
MOGiLNY said:
yeah, without Malkin to watch my back, I was really scared to go on this board after last night's Russia-US game :D

I wouldn't be surprised is Malkin isn't watching all kinda "backs" on his team, if ya know what I mean..wink wink, nudge nudge ;)

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
lisario said:
Read about the slippers in the Washington paper. What's scarier is some of the Craps are wearing neon pink ones.

attachment.php

But Ovechkin, yeah, he strives to be the height of fashion.

:biglaugh:
OV looks unsure about wearing that little number himself.

What is he shopping at Baby Gap now? That thing looks like his girlfriend's cruel joke.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
MOGiLNY said:
well the players did say they are big and strong :eek:

Ya see what I mean. Al the signs are there. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

NewHabsEra*

I cheer for team Canada of course but to be honest, it would take a miracle so that we win this game.. Team Russia is just really too strong, basically no weakness in their game... They are playing their game at an impressing pace and playing with as much intensity as team Canada does, they can play really physical like we saw against team USA as well... It would have been an amazing game if team Canada of last year faced team Russia of this year...

Team Canada will have to be perfect defensively, Pogge will have to be god in net cause they just cant open the play against a such russian hockey machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad