Russians in the NHL. General Discussion.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
On the recent draft.

As always NHL scouts and GMs prove that they have no idea about drafting Russians. Again a bunch of picks that will go nowhere. Players which should go low, go high. Players that should get the attention end up in lower round or undrafted.

The only picks I can agree on are the top 2 of Podkolzin at 10, right around projection and Kochetkov as a promising goalie prospect early in the 2nd, Knyazev is okay in the 2nd. The other guys from the 2nd are obviously 'Murica picks. They play in NA so they get picked... too high. While the complete 3rd round of picks are guys playing in Russia and except for Misyul they should have been picked in the 2nd and Dorofeev is the most laughable pick of all. Guy is a 1st rounder. You tell me the Russian Factor is gone?

Minesota might have landed a good gamble pick with Guskov in the 5th. He is no Kaprizov though.

Otherwise they go on picking guys where at 90% of the names you go WHO?

Most of all I am pissed about the Dorofeev pick. Not where he was picked. I don't care about that at all. It is who picked him. Why is Vegas picking up players that won't fit their style and system? Dam' waste if he is not traded.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Russian factor is clearly still there, I think they pick players they are most familiar with and at some point best available. Since some are still under the contract in Russia, they know they might not come, come late, etc....

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What a uneventful free agency so far:)

All goes as predicted.

Panarin's girlfriend gets her wish. But hey, great for the Rangers.

Bobrovskiy's wife gets her wish. But yeah, great for the Panthers(10 for a goalie is still an overpayment, but it is the market for a two time Vezina goaltender I guess. Everybody thank Price and his agent).

Varlamov is a much better option for the Isles. When Sorokin arrives he could be a great mentor to show him around.

Zaytsev learns the hard way you have to choose wisely as a FA. Never understood his choice of Toronto. Let's see how he likes the Eugene Show after Toronto.

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Agree about Zaytsev. Toronto had him play a stay-at-home role.

Hopefully he rediscovers his game in Ottawa.

It will be weird seeing a Russian player in Sens' jersey.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
What a uneventful free agency so far:)

Zaytsev learns the hard way you have to choose wisely as a FA. Never understood his choice of Toronto. Let's see how he likes the Eugene Show after Toronto.
Well at that time Toronto had bad D, and by comparison he looked good. He got a 30+ million dollar contract with Toronto, I doubt he regrets that. Nor would many teams have thrown that much money at him.

When he signed the deal I recall the general concensus was its a mistake for someone with such defensive flaws. Its been what, 2 years since that deal was signed? That concensus has already been proven correct.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well at that time Toronto had bad D, and by comparison he looked good. He got a 30+ million dollar contract with Toronto, I doubt he regrets that. Nor would many teams have thrown that much money at him.

When he signed the deal I recall the general concensus was its a mistake for someone with such defensive flaws. Its been what, 2 years since that deal was signed? That concensus has already been proven correct.
I don't care what Toronto fans believe. I fdon't buy that narrative. It's just bad asset management. He deserves his contract and his so called defensive flaws... I have to see them to believe it.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I don't care what Toronto fans believe. I fdon't buy that narrative. It's just bad asset management. He deserves his contract and his so called defensive flaws... I have to see them to believe it.

From the 10 or so games I saw of him, I think the criticism of poor defensive play is correct.

You generally don't throw that kind of term/money for a player who'se got 1 season.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Gusev probably should have stayed in Russia. Vegas treating him even worse than they did Shipachev.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Can someone shed some info on the Montreal pick in the 6th round Arsen Khisamutdinov? The explanation after the draft from the assistant GM Trevor Timmins, was that with so few players they really liked available at that point, they decided to take an older player who they felt was trending upwards, and who if undrafted they would have to compete to sign when his KHL deal is up in 2 years. By using the pick he would be their property rather than a UFA in 2 years.

Do you think this is going to become a future strategy of NHL clubs to get older players currently under contract to KHL or other Euro teams, by using late round picks which rarely work out anyways to secure their rights, rather than wait for their contracts to expire, and pursue them as UFA's?

Montreal already did it many years ago when they selected Mark Streit as an older player in the draft.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
34 players starting the season on the NHL rosters:

Andrei Svechnikov

Carolina Hurricanes

Vladislav Kamenev

Colorado Avalanche

Valeri Nichushkin

Colorado Avalanche

Nikita Zadorov

Colorado Avalanche

Vladislav Gavrikov

Columbus Blue Jackets

Denis Guryanov

Dallas Stars

Anton Khudobin

Dallas Stars

Alexander Radulov

Dallas Stars

Sergei Bobrovski

Florida Panthers

Yevgeni Dadonov

Florida Panthers

Ilya Kovalchuk

Los Angeles Kings

Nikita Gusev

New Jersey Devils

Semyon Varlamov

New York Islanders

Pavel Buchnevich

New York Rangers

Alexandar Georgiev

New York Rangers

Vladislav Namestnikov

New York Rangers

Artemi Panarin

New York Rangers

Artyom Anisimov

Ottawa Senators

Nikita Zaitsev

Ottawa Senators

Ivan Provorov

Philadelphia Flyers

Yevgeni Malkin

Pittsburgh Penguins

Danil Yurtaikin

San Jose Sharks

Ivan Barbashev

St. Louis Blues

Vladimir Tarasenko

St. Louis Blues

Nikita Kucherov

Tampa Bay Lightning

Mikhail Sergachev

Tampa Bay Lightning

Andrei Vasilevskiy

Tampa Bay Lightning

Ilya Mikheyev

Toronto Maple Leafs

Valentin Zykov

Vegas Golden Knights

Yevgeni Kuznetsov

Washington Capitals

Dmitri Orlov

Washington Capitals

Alexander Ovechkin

Washington Capitals

Ilya Samsonov

Washington Capitals

Dmitri Kulikov

Winnipeg Jets
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Paxton Fettel

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I can see why people dislike Hynes. "Rewarded" Gusev with a demotion for a great first game only to record an embarassing loss. Gusev is in for a tough ride until something changes on the team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
34 players starting the season on the NHL rosters:

Andrei SvechnikovCarolina Hurricanes
Vladislav KamenevColorado Avalanche
Valeri NichushkinColorado Avalanche
Nikita ZadorovColorado Avalanche
Vladislav GavrikovColumbus Blue Jackets
Denis GuryanovDallas Stars
Anton KhudobinDallas Stars
Alexander RadulovDallas Stars
Sergei BobrovskiFlorida Panthers
Yevgeni DadonovFlorida Panthers
Ilya KovalchukLos Angeles Kings
Nikita GusevNew Jersey Devils
Semyon VarlamovNew York Islanders
Pavel BuchnevichNew York Rangers
Alexandar GeorgievNew York Rangers
Vladislav NamestnikovNew York Rangers
Artemi PanarinNew York Rangers
Artyom AnisimovOttawa Senators
Nikita ZaitsevOttawa Senators
Ivan ProvorovPhiladelphia Flyers
Yevgeni MalkinPittsburgh Penguins
Danil YurtaikinSan Jose Sharks
Ivan BarbashevSt. Louis Blues
Vladimir TarasenkoSt. Louis Blues
Nikita KucherovTampa Bay Lightning
Mikhail SergachevTampa Bay Lightning
Andrei VasilevskiyTampa Bay Lightning
Ilya MikheyevToronto Maple Leafs
Valentin ZykovVegas Golden Knights
Yevgeni KuznetsovWashington Capitals
Dmitri OrlovWashington Capitals
Alexander OvechkinWashington Capitals
Ilya SamsonovWashington Capitals
Dmitri KulikovWinnipeg Jets
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It's funny because the Czechs have about 26 or so.. looks like ONLY 8 less than the Russians. Then you look at the Russian list and realize most these guys are top 6, Top 4 and Starting Goalies. The Czech list doesn't even come close to the depth. I'm also thinking Russia might be the new hockey goalie factory as I feel like the goalie prospects are heating up and it could already be argued that you have 2 of the top 3 goalies in the NHL to begin with.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Interesting season so far for Russian NHL players:

- Most of the established top guys are playing as expected. Top goalies, Vasi and Bob, are struggling this season. Radulov is starting to show his age. Kovy is close to being finished, although I still think he could contribute on a better team then the Kings.

- Good to see that we have a new young elite player in Svech. Hopefully, he can be consistent top guy for the next decade plus.

- Provorov is playing the best hockey of his career and might be the best Russian D since Gonchar and Zubov were in their prime. Unfortunately that's not saying much. It has been a putrid decade for Russian blueliners.

- Sergachev is steadily improving. He still has room to grow, especially defensively, but it's good to see a talented young D growing as a player.

- Buchnevich has added to his game. I doubt that he'll ever be a star, but he is absolutely has a game to be a first liner.

- Barbashev is showing some signs of growth offensively. He has always had upside, but has been mostly a bottom 6, energy player. The sad reality is that he already could compete for Russia's #3 center spot.

- Prokhorkin has been hot lately. He is getting a chance on a terrible Kings team, and he is taking advantage of it. He doesn't have star upside, but his overall game is very interesting, especially if he can be a productive player offensively.

- Gurianov has been showing signs of improvement, but is still inconsistent. No question about his talent level, but he still has learning to do. Kamenev is similar also. Hopefully both guys will continue to get their chance and improve their games.

- Mikheyev is a pleasant surprise, including defensively. He is the sort of all-around player that could make a very positive contribution to a team full of scorers. Namestnikov is similar in that regard also.

- I always hope to see more from Orlov, Zaytsev, Zadorov and Kulikov, but I guess they are who they are, decent NHL players.

- Gavrikov is a solid stay-at-home guy, that's probably his upside.

- A number of young guys are knocking on the door. I don't know if this group will produce any stars, but it's not unreasonable to think that there could be a number of good NHL contributors.

Overall, there is a little bit of an improvement in the Russian NHL talent pool, but it certainly is still a far cry from what it was even a decade ago.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Tough to get a good read on stay-at-home defender without seeing all of his games, but Gavrikov is absolutely KILLING his possession metric stats:

52.2 CF%
53 FF%
54.5 dZs%

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Well, one thing is for sure - we’re set at goalie position for the foreseeable future

What do you think about Gavrikov? I have only seen a couple of Jackets games, but his possession stats suggest that he is very strong stay-at-home D.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What do you think about Gavrikov? I have only seen a couple of Jackets games, but his possession stats suggest that he is very strong stay-at-home D.
Right now he looks like the perfect DD complement to Provorov/Sergachyov on the NT.

Reactions: MaxV

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Interesting season so far for Russian NHL players:

- Most of the established top guys are playing as expected. Top goalies, Vasi and Bob, are struggling this season. Radulov is starting to show his age. Kovy is close to being finished, although I still think he could contribute on a better team then the Kings.

- Good to see that we have a new young elite player in Svech. Hopefully, he can be consistent top guy for the next decade plus.

- Provorov is playing the best hockey of his career and might be the best Russian D since Gonchar and Zubov were in their prime. Unfortunately that's not saying much. It has been a putrid decade for Russian blueliners.

- Sergachev is steadily improving. He still has room to grow, especially defensively, but it's good to see a talented young D growing as a player.

- Buchnevich has added to his game. I doubt that he'll ever be a star, but he is absolutely has a game to be a first liner.

- Barbashev is showing some signs of growth offensively. He has always had upside, but has been mostly a bottom 6, energy player. The sad reality is that he already could compete for Russia's #3 center spot.

- Prokhorkin has been hot lately. He is getting a chance on a terrible Kings team, and he is taking advantage of it. He doesn't have star upside, but his overall game is very interesting, especially if he can be a productive player offensively.

- Gurianov has been showing signs of improvement, but is still inconsistent. No question about his talent level, but he still has learning to do. Kamenev is similar also. Hopefully both guys will continue to get their chance and improve their games.

- Mikheyev is a pleasant surprise, including defensively. He is the sort of all-around player that could make a very positive contribution to a team full of scorers. Namestnikov is similar in that regard also.

- I always hope to see more from Orlov, Zaytsev, Zadorov and Kulikov, but I guess they are who they are, decent NHL players.

- Gavrikov is a solid stay-at-home guy, that's probably his upside.

- A number of young guys are knocking on the door. I don't know if this group will produce any stars, but it's not unreasonable to think that there could be a number of good NHL contributors.

Overall, there is a little bit of an improvement in the Russian NHL talent pool, but it certainly is still a far cry from what it was even a decade ago.
Where you see improvement I see degradation. What use are the third liners? There is no upcoming top talent on F except for Svechnikov. Gurianov is a bright spot after fighting through AHL. Should have just stayed in Russia and he would have been be a better player in 1-2 years from now. It looks like he has broken through the wall though for now.

And rest assured - no one is knocking at the door.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Where you see improvement I see degradation. What use are the third liners? There is no upcoming top talent on F except for Svechnikov. Gurianov is a bright spot after fighting through AHL. Should have just stayed in Russia and he would have been be a better player in 1-2 years from now. It looks like he has broken through the wall though for now.

And rest assured - no one is knocking at the door.

It's an improvement relative to recent years. Obviously, it's still a far cry from what Russian hockey was at it's peak.

Still compare this year's talent depth to what was available in 2016 WC and that epic defensive corps of Marchenko, Yemelin, Nesterov and old man Markov.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Trenin might be adding his name to the list. He has played really well so far in limited minutes. Hopefully Preds give him a chance to play more and on a more skilled line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad