Russian U20 team

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
what squad did finns have in this game? A/B?

C roster. No Granlunds, Pulkkinen, Armia etc.

Like ChadS said, only 2-3 players from that roster have a change of making the WJC, and they will not get major roles. And the coach of that horrible U-20 team was Raimo Helminen, a good player doesn't always make a good coach. :facepalm:

pouskin74*

You'd have to have half a brain to leave Yakupov, and Nemestnikov off. I understands last years success with largely MHL roster, but other than Kuznetsov, Tarasenko Orlov and a couple others with decent showings like Kitsyn, Sobchenko, Burdasov the rest of the team were not a significant contributors by any stretch.

Panarin? Dvurechensky? Urychev? short memory or what??

pouskin74*

C roster. No Granlunds, Pulkkinen, Armia etc.

Like ChadS said, only 2-3 players from that roster have a change of making the WJC, and they will not get major roles. And the coach of that horrible U-20 team was Raimo Helminen, a good player doesn't always make a good coach. :facepalm:

no 2-3 key players and view more and its C team ??

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
no 2-3 key players and view more and its C team ??

No, there was only 2-3 players who could make the WJC team, so most of the top players were missing. So more like 10+ key players were missing. :laugh: I just listed couple of examples, I could continue that list with Donskoi, Salomäki, Jokipakka etc. etc. The best U-20 players are with their SM-Liiga/FEL teams now. I know that the Russian team wasn't the best possible either, but Finland is a small country, so when you take away most/all of the top players the drop in the talent is significant.

Last edited:

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
I find it interesting most Russians always say a 17-year old is too young...I understand the WJC's is a "19-year-old tournament" but are there 12 forwards that have more skills then Grigorenko that are eligible taking age out of the question?

I mean it has worked in the past not taking Yakupov last year but I like to know some of posters reasoning to quickly write off Grigorenko chances?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I find it interesting most Russians always say a 17-year old is too young...I understand the WJC's is a "19-year-old tournament" but are there 12 forwards that have more skills then Grigorenko that are eligible taking age out of the question?

I mean it has worked in the past not taking Yakupov last year but I like to know some of posters reasoning to quickly write off Grigorenko chances?

It's not exclusively about skills, it's about age, maturity and experience for WJC. It's why, despite a high talent level, why players likeDumba and Reinhard are unlikely to make Team Canada.

Age, Experice > talent.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
They had good tournaments but nothing outstanding, imo nothing Galiev or Namestikov or other Na guys could not have contributed as well.

Wow!!, you seem rather uneducated about Russian players. I'd take a Panarin or Dvurechensky over Galiev any day of the week.

Fulcrum

I wouldn't take anything away from Galiev, who is a solid player and plays a pretty NA type game. But you're right, Panarin and Dvurechenskiy are very underrated. They have always stood out no matter where they played, and now with Vityaz KHL (although probably the weakest team there).

Grigorenko will need to have a Yakupov type season to at least be considered! for the team. Especially considering how deep the selection for U20 this year is going to be. It's more fierce than ever before, I think. You have a couple of lines of talented '93 pushing the '92 born, who are solid players themselves. It'll be interesting to see.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Absolutely agreed. Namestnikov, maybe, but Galiev, not at all. Telegin would have made the roster if it wasn't for his injury, though.

I like Telegin....good 2 way player. I think likely would have made Voronin's spot last year if not injured. But, yeah, he and Galiev aren't as good as 1991 Panarin and Dvurechensky.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wow!!, you seem rather uneducated about Russian players. I'd take a Panarin or Dvurechensky over Galiev any day of the week.

Simply speaking based on his experiance on Na rinks and with NA hockey perhaps the other two may be better on larger ice surface and have more of a future with KHL and National team but Galiev is a pretty good player in his own right who shows an ability to play both styles of hockey.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Simply speaking based on his experiance on Na rinks and with NA hockey perhaps the other two may be better on larger ice surface and have more of a future with KHL and National team but Galiev is a pretty good player in his own right who shows an ability to play both styles of hockey.

Nobodys saying Galiev sucks or will be less of a player than Panarin/Dvurechensky in the future, but for last years WJC, he was not as good as those two. The older Panarin much better offensively and the older Dvurechensky was assistant captain and a better 2 way player and leader.

Han Solo

Laugh it up, fuzball
Aug 16, 2011
Nobodys saying Galiev sucks or will be less of a player than Panarin/Dvurechensky in the future, but for last years WJC, he was not as good as those two. The older Panarin much better offensively and the older Dvurechensky was assistant captain and a better 2 way player and leader.

Galiev wasnt on the team..

Fulcrum

Any fun predictions on who will be the highest scoring player on this team? tournament?

I would expect Kuznetsov to have good stats this tournament. I think Kucherov might surprise with goals again.

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
Any fun predictions on who will be the highest scoring player on this team? tournament?

I would expect Kuznetsov to have good stats this tournament. I think Kucherov might surprise with goals again.
Kucherov-leader in goals, Kuznetsov- leader in points. But frankly speaking I think that for Kuzya this WJC might be not as impressive as it was last year cause he has nothing to prove. If Grigs is on the team and plays with Kucherov I expect Kucherov to be leader both in goals and points and even maybe the tournament's MVP.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Kucherov-leader in goals, Kuznetsov- leader in points. But frankly speaking I think that for Kuzya this WJC might be not as impressive as it was last year cause he has nothing to prove. If Grigs is on the team and plays with Kucherov I expect Kucherov to be leader both in goals and points and even maybe the tournament's MVP.

Judging by this post Team Russia is 100% surefire winner of this years WJC?

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
Judging by this post Team Russia is 100% surefire winner of this years WJC?
Not of course:) Kucherov may lead in points, but that doesnt mean Russia will be 100% winner. If Im not mistaken last year Schenn was absoulutley the best and almost set new WJC record but Canada didn't win it. Nevertheless we all hope that there will be another one gold just because we have a very solid roster this year.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not of course:) Kucherov may lead in points, but that doesnt mean Russia will be 100% winner. If Im not mistaken last year Schenn was absoulutley the best and almost set new WJC record but Canada didn't win it. Nevertheless we all hope that there will be another one gold just because we have a very solid roster this year.

The next year doesn't look bad either. Kucherov, Yakupov, Grigorenko...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->