Russian ranking by stickhandling

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
I just want to know your ranking by stickhandling ! Here's mine but I don't know much of players in KHL, so help me!

Datsyuk
Malkin
Kovalchuk
Zherdev
Semin
Ovechkin
Kuznetsov
Radulov
Tarasenko
Zaripov ??
Yakupov
Grigorenko
Zinoviev ??
Mozyakin ??

Make yours please!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
My top 5:

Kharlamov
Datsyuk
Makarov
Mikhailov
Kovalev

Not too many current players, because stickhandling skill is not as much developed and perfected.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I just want to know your ranking by stickhandling ! Here's mine but I don't know much of players in KHL, so help me!

Datsyuk
Malkin
Kovalchuk
Zherdev
Semin
Ovechkin
Kuznetsov
Radulov
Tarasenko
Zaripov ??
Yakupov
Grigorenko
Zinoviev ??
Mozyakin ??

Make yours please!

Datsyuk
Kovalchuk
Semin
Radulov
Ovechkin
Malkin(Malkin is more of a brilliant skater)
Zaripov
Kuznetsov
Mozyakin

After that there is pretty much a big bunch of guys pretty similar in skill. AND ofcourse the list is for stickhandling ONLY.

Importatnt thing the stickhandling and passing skill level is higher overall in the KHL than in the NHL. The top guys in the NHL are of course great stickhandlers, but the bottom six guys in the NHL are just atrocious.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
My top 5:

Kharlamov
Datsyuk
Makarov
Mikhailov
Kovalev

Not too many current players, because stickhandling skill is not as much developed and perfected.

Then please put Bobrov on your list if you are going all time. Btw, Datsyuk is a better stickhandler than Kharlamov was. Kharlamow was like Malkin(better than Malkin actually of course) a superb skater. He used his whole body to fool defencemen about his intentions and walked through them without having Malkin's size to help him that is.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Then please put Bobrov on your list if you are going all time. Btw, Datsyuk is a better stickhandler than Kharlamov was. Kharlamow was like Malkin(better than Malkin actually of course) a superb skater. He used his whole body to fool defencemen about his intentions and walked through them without having Malkin's size to help him that is.

No disrespect to Datsyuk, he is an absolutely magical stickhandler. The difference is that the value of outstanding stickhandling is absolutely magnified when you are moving very fast and just walking around people. On youtube, check out the video of Kharlamov's goal late in the first period against the New York Rangers on December 28, 1975. Four defenders are lined up along side each other on the blue line as Kharlamov approaches. Kharlamov just blows through the middle of them untouched and walks in and scores a goal against John Davidson in goal. Its hard to imagine Datsyuk duplicating that feat because he lacks the speed to do it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No disrespect to Datsyuk, he is an absolutely magical stickhandler. The difference is that the value of outstanding stickhandling is absolutely magnified when you are moving very fast and just walking around people. On youtube, check out the video of Kharlamov's goal late in the first period against the New York Rangers on December 28, 1975. Four defenders are lined up along side each other on the blue line as Kharlamov approaches. Kharlamov just blows through the middle of them untouched and walks in and scores a goal against John Davidson in goal. Its hard to imagine Datsyuk duplicating that feat because he lacks the speed to do it.

You are way overrating Kharlamov's speed compared to Datsyuk. It happens often due to Datsyuk's unconventional skating style. He is fast and he pulled pretty similar feats off too. Btw, Kharlamov wasn't that fast on that move, just elusive as always. Change of pace, nice fakes and the D never moved actually, just watched him. Pretty much the same Datsyuk is doing at times.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
If your talking purely stickhandling I wouldn't put Ovechkin up there, he has moves but loses the puck often when stickhandling through traffic. He uses a massive curve which is more suitable for toe drags and a big shot, so it is easy to see why this happens...
Some guys in the KHL with lightning quick hands -Kugryshev, Parshin, Zherdev, Chistov to name a few off the top of my head. Tolchinsky will be the next star with quick stickhandling skills.
Guy up there is right about Malkin. He has good puck control, speed, strength and passing skills as well as his crafty play making skills to make him the player he is. He doesn't have super quick stickhandling ability. There is a difference in having quick hands and good moves/deception with the puck.
Datsyuk is not only a master of stickhandling but also master of deception and manipulation. The combo makes him the best guy with the puck in the world.

markz*

If you asking who is the overall best stick handler ever? It's Kovalev.

If you're talking about the most effective stick handler ever? It's Bure (going a full speed)

Fulcrum

If you asking who is the overall best stick handler ever? It's Kovalev.

If you're talking about the most effective stick handler ever? It's Bure (going a full speed)

I would also add Malkin for his ability to position the puck for perfect passes, very effective stickhandler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->