Russian hockey journalists

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The only foreign team to elevate the level so far is Jokerit. The rest are middle of the pack at best. How are they supporting the level?

And in the end Jokerit helps developing finnish players not russian. And without trying to hurt anybody's feelings I don't care how finnish players develop. I care about the developmwnt of russian players. And the league should serve this purpose. By expelling russian teams with strong hockey schools it does the opposite.

And so far you could say only one player has benefitted form this (Eeli Tolvanen).

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
And so far you could say only one player has benefitted form this (Eeli Tolvanen).

Not even the best example. Had no prior connection to Jokerit (came up in the Espoo system unless I'm mistaken), and was only there because he didn't get in to Boston College.

The Jokerit junior/prospects are completely in the dark.

Jokerit in the KHL isn't doing Finland much of any favors at all

Reactions: Exarz

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not even the best example. Had no prior connection to Jokerit (came up in the Espoo system unless I'm mistaken), and was only there because he didn't get in to Boston College.

The Jokerit junior/prospects are completely in the dark.

Jokerit in the KHL isn't doing Finland much of any favors at all

Yeah, pretty much. One could easily make an argument that Tolvanen would have easily developed in the Finnish league in the right organization this season as well. Jokerit KHL players don't stand out at Worlds when NHL pros are there, if they even make the team.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
The only foreign team to elevate the level so far is Jokerit. The rest are middle of the pack at best. How are they supporting the level?

And in the end Jokerit helps developing finnish players not russian. And without trying to hurt anybody's feelings I don't care how finnish players develop. I care about the developmwnt of russian players. And the league should serve this purpose. By expelling russian teams with strong hockey schools it does the opposite.
Objectively speaking, Jokerit is barely developing any new players, since the team is packed up with KHL stars. Younger players are leaving the Jokerit organization to play junior hockey elsewhere because the minimal chance of playing senior hockey, and barely any current U20 players are given the chance to play in the senior team (I believe Jussi has touched this subject before), both because of the quality and the cost of registering new players (insurance etc.). With all the injuries Jokerit had this season, they didn't even send a full defensive line-up on a few away games, and even during home games they used forwards as defensemen (both Tomi Mäki and Petteri Wirtanen) if necessary. And to be fair, I doubt any kid would want to play in Jokerit if they moved to the MHL. Not that it would help the junior system anyways.

I agree that the contracted clubs could be in danger. Although teams from cities with a strong hockey culture will most likely continue to produce good players, there will clearly be less money going to the junior systems while playing in the VHL. I sure hope that the KHL and VHL can negotiate a good monetary compensation for clubs developing good players to the KHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Obviously Jokerit is one finnish team out of many. It's not like Liiga stoped being an adequate european league. Jokerit is still a fine place for future finnish prospects to get the nose dirty against men in a strong league.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So, news from today, Ak Bars will offer 50 million rubles for Zernov.
Great. Where should we fit him in? It's not like we have glaring holes on the roster. That is what those teams were good for. Giving guys like Zernov spots. With AkBars his playing time would go down significantly if he indeeed ends up with us. And not because reasons and Bill is a bad coach, but simply because we do have enough guys.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Is all about business at KHL. They do not give fck about developing russian hockey. Teams moved down from KHL to VHL, may loose interest to work with youngsters.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Objectively speaking, Jokerit is barely developing any new players, since the team is packed up with KHL stars. Younger players are leaving the Jokerit organization to play junior hockey elsewhere because the minimal chance of playing senior hockey, and barely any current U20 players are given the chance to play in the senior team (I believe Jussi has touched this subject before), both because of the quality and the cost of registering new players (insurance etc.). With all the injuries Jokerit had this season, they didn't even send a full defensive line-up on a few away games, and even during home games they used forwards as defensemen (both Tomi Mäki and Petteri Wirtanen) if necessary. And to be fair, I doubt any kid would want to play in Jokerit if they moved to the MHL. Not that it would help the junior system anyways.

I agree that the contracted clubs could be in danger. Although teams from cities with a strong hockey culture will most likely continue to produce good players, there will clearly be less money going to the junior systems while playing in the VHL. I sure hope that the KHL and VHL can negotiate a good monetary compensation for clubs developing good players to the KHL.

And as I've said numerous times before, it's also pretty much impossible to have club in MHL (plus I think Kohonen or someone else said it would also be too expensive), because the players in theat age group 17-20 years old have school or army obligations in Finland, making travelling abroad very difficult.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
So Slava Malibu gambled in NA media and lost big time. Looking at Tryamkin’s Terrific KHL Season and Olympic Snub
He gambles very carefully and only goes when he truly believes in his odds. SKA was a huge favorite to win, so obviously it was an easy decision to come up with sensationalist statements hoping to gain more followers. However that did not pan out unfortunately and now he is exposed as a big fraud. Another thing he gambles again is that Ovi with the Caps will never win the Cup. Hopefully they do so this "Russian Writer" goes away. Life is very dynamic that way, at the end things get sorted out.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
So many idiots who retweeted and liked it
upload_2018-4-8_12-50-51.png

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Yes the NA news media created an obsession with anything Russian, this is not surprising. If anyone is interested I can find the link, there was a very informative interview with highly regarded player agent Dan Milstein. He was asked directly about this guys twitter comments and gave a direct answer. Said simply that this guy is not an expert and is basically exaggerating reality.

Brought up an interesting story about CSKA having there own hardships before securing funding. Claims that Kucherov would have extended a deal in the KHL but CSKA could not afford surgery he required, Yzerman said if he signed in Tampa that year that he would get the best doctors money could buy etc.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yes the NA news media created an obsession with anything Russian, this is not surprising. If anyone is interested I can find the link, there was a very informative interview with highly regarded player agent Dan Milstein. He was asked directly about this guys twitter comments and gave a direct answer. Said simply that this guy is not an expert and is basically exaggerating reality.

Brought up an interesting story about CSKA having there own hardships before securing funding. Claims that Kucherov would have extended a deal in the KHL but CSKA could not afford surgery he required, Yzerman said if he signed in Tampa that year that he would get the best doctors money could buy etc.
That's the part of the story people don't see/know when talking about Kucherov and the ever recurring discusdion about development. Each player is in a unique situation and I would never blame Kucherov. CSKA was a joke of an org at the time. He made an obvious choice.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Here goes Malamudilo's last bit of credibility. Farewell.

He was still right:

There is a slight possibility of a loss, if the opponent is CSKA, owning to the Moscow team's legacy and the "patriotic value" of their potential victory, but it's a small chance. Putin wants SKA, and SKA it shall be... The KHL even has an official explanation for this...

The only team that would be allowed to beat SKA, manages to do it. Igor Sechin, another one of Putin's friends, sees CSKA to the finals. My mentions may be full of Kremlin bots again, but this is an eventuality I did predict.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
He is covering all bases simply because SKA and CSKA we're favorites to win the Cup. He is really playing the odds and trying to get more followers via such gamble. What will he say if AK Bars beats CSKA? He is desperately cheering for the Moscow club even though he hates all Russian. There is certain irony in this.

I am just laughing at this situation - Putin sitting in the room with the list of KHL clubs and crosses off the clubs that can't win.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Did CSKA not eliminate SKA from the playoffs then?

Malamud’s explanation for CSKA’s victory is where he is incorrect. The assertion that CSKA was the only team ‘allowed’ by the dark lord Putin to defeat SKA is pure comedy. Anyone with a functioning brain knew they were the only club talented enough to defeat SKA.

Tonight on Finnish TV, Jussi talks hockey:
Download-File

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
This is the exact black&white, comic book mentality that's cultivied by American media. "Russian journalist" try to use it.

Can KHL be just a decent league with its problems and achievements?
Nah, that's boring and not hateable enough. Let's present it as a toy for a evil lord of darkness :darth:, who steals players from good old hard-working American teams and puts them on his favorite team so he can see it win the championship and have one more final evil laugh like that: MWAHAHAHA!

What, another top contender is sponsored by an oil company whose manager is close to the state leader? Sure, the hockey league is now a battle of the supervillains! No other team can win because the dark lord engaged his minion in a mortal kombat that can only be decided by a Gagarin Cup matchup!

I wish I could draw better. I'd make one hell of a comic book series on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->