Russian hockey journalists

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So the problem is that they're criticizing for the sake of criticizing, without clearly defining what exactly is wrong and what should be done to fix things?

Actually it's more like they haven't got enough talent, but they still want the popularity, so they make articles with loud titles like "Why the KHL is a shame for all the humankind!!111", so people would read it. Inside the article there is usually some doubtful (to say at least) argumentation, but since bad news sell pretty good, it doesn't actually matter.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Sportfakt.ru published a list of top 30 salaries in KHL. That is how journalists should work. I translated it to english a tweeted.

Kalnins took my list (even with my notes about no bonuses, exchange rate, Radulov but WITHOUT source: sportfakt.ru)

Sportsnet reported it

This information was reported by Sportfact.ru as part of a list of the 30 highest-paid KHLers and tweeted out in English by KHL reporter Aivis Kalnins — who notes that these numbers do not include bonuses.

That is how some "russian" journalists work....

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I have followed russian hockey media for 5 or 6 years so I have my opinion about journalists.

Almost all influencial journalists are NHL lovers in my opinion- Lysenkov from SovSport, Dekthyarov from SportFM, Shevchenko from Sport-Express to name a few. It was nicely showed during World Cup when almost everyone published stories about great World Cup and how bad KHL is compared to NHL. They use every opportunity to kick to KHL and its management.

What do you think about russian hockey journalists?

For counterbalance you have a hurrah-patriotic Vitaly Slavin

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
We have talked about Sevchenko. Here is his last article. Honestly what do you think about it? Especially quoted parts.

Все какие-то общие и бессмысленные фразы, типа "драйверы успеха", ничем не подкрепленные цифры, опять какая-то стратегия, на этот раз семилетняя, но мы видим, что прежняя стратегия, которую никто в глаза не видел, приводит непонятно к чему.

He says that Chernyshenko is not concrete in his interviews. Sevchenko claims that nobody has seen current KHL strategy of development, so it means the strategy is not succesfull. And new 7y strategy will fail as well (because current one failed too)

As I know Biznis Online published an article about this current strategy (they say they read it) that was approved by KHL BoD in Feb 2015. So Sevchenko lies here.

На должность президента должен прийти другой человек, у которого был бы авторитет в бизнесе и который любит хоккей.

KHL President should be a guy with authority from bussiness and hockey community. He has to love hockey as well.
That is demagogia from Sevchenko. It is clear he does not like Chernyshenko. What do you think about Cherny´s job so far? I am positive. Am I only one?

This Sevchenko´s article is reaction to this interview of Chernyshenko. See

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Russian broadcaster Channel One cancelled broadcasting of Channel One Cup matches due to low ratings. Channel One gave rights to MatchTV, which director is Chernyshenko.

Chernyshenko commented the situation that russian journalists are responsible for spreading misinfomation about russian doping all the time. They dont even try to find out the truth, only citing western media and talking all russian sport is doping positive. It all creates athmosphere that russian people(fans) tend to believe "everything is about doping" and dont care about watching sport anymore. So ratings are low.

Great speech by Chernyshenko!!! Some russian journalists are in panic!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Shevchenko has attacked Chernyshenko and his team today. His campaign against the league has begun again.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Here is Shevchenko´s article from today. I will quote some parts.

Shevchenko has problem with Chernyshenko because he works for Gazprom Media as well, so "does not know players, does not visit hockey games, reads statments from notebook even I (Shevchenko) can do it" if I should quote Shevchenko words. Chernyshenko has his team who is working on daily basis, who is doing good marketing (if compared to Medvedev), but Shevchenko does not mention this for some reason. I can visit KHL games every day, but it does not mean that I would be better KHL President than Chernyshenko.

Зрителей стало ходить меньше.
Less fans going to games now
Average 8050 fans in first round of Gagarin Cup 2017, the record of the league.

По телевидению и интернету мы не имеем возможности посмотреть все матчи, а с некоторых стадионов такая картинка, что даже жутко.
We can not watch all matches in TV or on internet, TV coverage from some clubs is bad.

Does Shevchenko say that KHL broadcasted all matches in Medvedev´s era? Is he serious? And that TV coverage of today is worse than in Medvedev´s era? Really?

И ни в коем случае нельзя говорить, что все команды должны стремиться стать такими, как СКА.
It is not correct to say that all teams should try to reach SKA level

Timchenko said after final game that all teams should try to reach SKA level. Of course Shevchenko does not agree. Does he want to make every team equally poor? Would KHL become better if all teams were equally poor like Yugra? Really?

This Shevchenko has some agenda, some people are behind him.. and of course these guys dislike Chernyshenko for some reason. It was Shevchenko, if I remember, who said a few years ago that Chernyshenko leave the league soon. Of course, this did not happen. Has Shevchenko appologise to Chernyshenko publicly? As I know, he has not.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Does Shevchenko say that KHL broadcasted all matches in Medvedev´s era? Is he serious? And that TV coverage of today is worse than in Medvedev´s era? Really?

The fact that it was worse in Medvedev era doesn't mean it's good now. It only means it is better and whether it is enough or not is open to debate. Honestly, he's not wrong about that. TV coverage in general sucks.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The fact that it was worse in Medvedev era doesn't mean it's good now. It only means it is better and whether it is enough or not is open to debate. Honestly, he's not wrong about that. TV coverage in general sucks.

We know that not all arenas have great coverage, some sucks like Alessandro said. But Shevchenko says "we can not see ALL matches on TV or internet" That means there was a period of time when we could watch ALL matches. Which is not true! So Shevchenko lies. TV coverage 2017 is definitelly better than in 2008, especially matches broadcasted by MatchTV (Chernyshenko again) are quite good. Plus there is a pre-game studio. Do you know how it worked in pre-MatchTV era (before 2015) when the channel was called Rossiya2? Many matches were broadcasted in delay in the middle of night, analytic pre-game studio was sci-fi, ratings low close to zero, overal coverage very bad. So no suprise that KHL did not make money at the time.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Shevchenko published another article today, here. The article is about contraction, but I will leave it here, because it is about Shevchenko.

The idea of the article is that some famous audit company (I would say Ernst & Young because they have logo among KHL partners on the league web) proposed the league to decrease number of teams to 24 (15 Russian + rest of Asia, Europe I would say). The problem for Shevchenko is that the company has no experience with sport (I can not verify) and the company made their conclusion from bussiness point of view.

Now it is absolutelly clear for me, Shevchenko is against expansion, he wants the league to have only Russian teams.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I just run into another "pearl" by Yakov Smirnoff aka Slava Malamud. So many lies and conspiracies in one article. A comment at the bottom called this person exactly right - fake news agent. This is the crap they are feeding to sports fans in North America. It's is utterly disgusting.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/r...sured-ilya-kovalchuk-to-abandon-nhl-comeback/

Its been my complaint for a long time. TSN and Sporsnet source these kind of guys too. Like Kalnins was TSNs Russian "insider" last on last years July 1st tsn show. Arent there any real english speaking Russian journalists?

BTW the article tried to make some comparison of the leafs being owned by the government (crown corp). They didn't mention that up until 2012 the maple leafs were owned by the Ontario teachers pension fund (full tax payer funded entity providing generous defined benefit plans) which owned 80% or $1.3billion worth.

Last edited:

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Its been my complaint for a long time. TSN and Sporsnet source these kind of guys too. Like Kalnins was TSNs Russian "insider" last on last years July 1st tsn show. Arent there any real english speaking Russian journalists?

BTW the article tried to make some comparison of the leafs being owned by the government (crown corp). They didn't mention that up until 2012 the maple leafs were owned by the Ontario teachers pension fund (full tax payer funded entity providing generous defined benefit plans) which owned 80% or $1.3billion worth.

What do you think of his latest twitter rant?

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015

They're not "full taxpayer funded" (how much teacher's and the employer pay towards their pension is part of their salary/compensation negotiations)

If the salary/benefits they make makes their pension plan "full taxpayer funded" then EVERYTHING every teacher, doctor, nurse, firefighter, paramedic, etc spends money on is "full taxpayer funded" because the money ultimately came from taxpayers

Would you hold the same standard for yourself? Whatever you spend your earnings on is not your decision being funded by you (from money you earned), but that of whoever is paying your employer?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre

No, there aren't.

English speaking journalism is no better. In twitter era the best they can do is find unemployed bums who sit on a computer in North America and scan Russian media- then translate the news and post on their feed hoping to get some retweets. Journalism as I knew it 20 years ago is dead. It's now a cheap fast food, that is quickly consumed and then forgotten next day. There are still dinosaurs here and there, like Eric Duhatschek (who always tries to find depth), who are still around but not for long.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre

It's shallow as everything he does and another sensasinalism by Yakov Smirnoff to uneducated public. We discussed this issue here in much better detail. Problem here is if hockey in Russia does not sell tickets for $50 - it can't survive without subsidizers. However, there is even more to that. In Russia all pro-sports are subsidized, outside perhaps of professional boxing. The choice is to stop subsidizing and lose a lot of sports as Russia had in 1990's or continue subsidizing and hoping that 10-15 years from now the wealth will be enough to support many pro-sports with true sponsorships and ticket sales. I think the answer is easy.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
They're not "full taxpayer funded" (how much teacher's and the employer pay towards their pension is part of their salary/compensation negotiations)

If the salary/benefits they make makes their pension plan "full taxpayer funded" then EVERYTHING every teacher, doctor, nurse, firefighter, paramedic, etc spends money on is "full taxpayer funded" because the money ultimately came from taxpayers

Would you hold the same standard for yourself? Whatever you spend your earnings on is not your decision being funded by you (from money you earned), but that of whoever is paying your employer?

Wrong, look up defined pensions and shortfalls being publicly funded. Thats a huge difference from the mass majority of Ontario residents who typically have defined contribution or nothing. Im a CPA at a partnership where I get squat for a pension because that's what the market demands (as would be the case for the teachers if the union was ditched). So I have my own fund using ETFs. Huge difference. At the time of the OTPP was selling TMLSE there was a massive shortfall in the plan and they were having the tax payer match contributions to fill the shortfall.

If you cant see the irony in the article that was making fun of publicly funded hockey team (obviously different scales, but the author forgot to do a 2 second google search) then please dont bother me anymore.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
No, there aren't.

English speaking journalism is no better. In twitter era the best they can do is find unemployed bums who sit on a computer in North America and scan Russian media- then translate the news and post on their feed hoping to get some retweets. Journalism as I knew it 20 years ago is dead. It's now a cheap fast food, that is quickly consumed and then forgotten next day. There are still dinosaurs here and there, like Eric Duhatschek (who always tries to find depth), who are still around but not for long.

Yes Duhatschek did a good article years back, he called up Barry Smith and got detailed for his article.

Lots of English speaking guys willing to do interviews but you rarely have it. Keenan did a great interview for the KHL web page where he said things that would be painful for Malamud to reproduce on his twitter feed. Of course all of the NA news outlets produced the news about Keenan going to Kunlun but none reproduced any of his interesting quotes regarding the league. Go figure

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

He has followed that up the past 5 hours or so with continued political trash, the reason people watch sports is to get away from all that. He has even managed to bash Ovi and Kovi regarding political issues. If you have an opinion, that's one thing if to post it. If you are going to bash someone else opinion by insulting them... Especially Ovie

Wonder if he ever lurks around this forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->