Russian Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
For a long time now there's only been 1 prominant russian goalie in the NHL (2 if you count nabokov as russian), and i was just wondering if there's a reason for it? I know in quebec all the kids want to be the next patrick roy or martin brodeur, is it just the opposite in russia? Is goaltender the position that nobody really wants to play as a kid? It could just be coincidence, but i just found it wierd that a country that makes so many talented players at other positions has almost no depth in goal

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
I think it's just a coincidence. There are not that many Slovakian NHL goalies, and for as many quality skaters the Czech Republic produces the goalie production seems to be a bit behind as well.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
how about tretiak ? who inspired roy ? who in turn inspired the french canadian goalie revolution ?

p.s. bulin is awesome, nabokov carried the sharks into playoffs, felix potvin can pass for a Russian with his name :D

tml_4ever

It's Chaotic
May 24, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
arrbez said:
For a long time now there's only been 1 prominant russian goalie in the NHL (2 if you count nabokov as russian), and i was just wondering if there's a reason for it? I know in quebec all the kids want to be the next patrick roy or martin brodeur, is it just the opposite in russia? Is goaltender the position that nobody really wants to play as a kid? It could just be coincidence, but i just found it wierd that a country that makes so many talented players at other positions has almost no depth in goal
Why exactly can't you count Nabokov as Russian?

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
tml_4ever said:
Why exactly can't you count Nabokov as Russian?

I guess because he was born in Kazakhstan, but there are russians all over the former soviet union. As a matter of fact, 30% of the population of Kazakhstan is russian.

And I'm not sure how the name Potvin can pass for Russian. Seems pretty french to me.

IkeaMonkey*

Because Kahzakstan isnt exactly russia?

*edit: heres to leaving your browser open for an hour and being wicked late on your reponse, Hoke!*

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
thorspartak said:
how about tretiak ? who inspired roy ? who in turn inspired the french canadian goalie revolution ?

p.s. bulin is awesome, nabokov carried the sharks into playoffs, felix potvin can pass for a Russian with his name :D

easy there turbo, Tretiak never played in the NHL, and i'm talking about the last decade or so. The soviets had good goalies, but that's not really relevant. And it doesn't matter who influenced patrick roy. What matters is that the only notable russian goaltenders in the NHL in the last decade or so are Khabibulin and Nabokov (even though he's played for Khazakstan internationally). i just find it odd that russia has like 70-something players in the NHL, and only 2 of the are goalies.

and as for potvin, you can have him ;)

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
arrbez said:
i'm talking about the last decade or so.

Well last decade was crappy for Russia on the whole and Russian sports particulary. 70 players in the NHL is pretty big number but still... let's remember how Russian junior teams were performing in the beginning-middle of 90s, not so good... depth of the rosters wasn't great... so if even skaters were not that great should we be surprised by small amout of good goales?

As for Potvin... even if his name ends with "in" doesn't sound Russian to me at all. It is like Chaplin for instance... not Russian.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Economic collapse of the USSR >>> less money, less food, less people playing hockey, less rinks, less goalies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
thorspartak said:
ok
you got me there. Being quite familiar with the Russian culture, I thought that Potvin was a Quebecois whose parents were of Russian descend.
The name Potvin is very Québécois and many have that name in Québec.

RangsDave

Jun 17, 2004
New York
no goaLIE

besides khabby, since russia has such poor goaltending, but they are awesome in every other position, the goalie won't be tested as much.
Wait, wasn't kiporsuff russian? :eek:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
RangsDave said:
besides khabby, since russia has such poor goaltending, but they are awesome in every other position, the goalie won't be tested as much.
Wait, wasn't kiporsuff russian? :eek:
kiprusoff is finnish

Russia's defense is good, but not great, and i'm sure their goalies will face a lot of shots playing agaist the best players in the world

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Looks like some of their hopes rest in the large frame of one Andrei Medvedev. Here's hoping he's one of the best Russian goalies of his generation! People love to write him off because of his conditioning but all the guy does is win.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
medvedev...was he the same fat goalie who beat Canada in the juniors a couple years back? As a fat goalie myself, i can testify that fat people can indeed play goal effectively ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad