Russian Five movie in April (and book in March)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Lion Man

Jan 21, 2008
Windsor
Looks like a documentary about The Russian Five is opening the Freep Film Festival in April:

'Russian Five' documentary world premiere will open Freep Film Festival

(The article also references a separate book on the subject, coming out in March.)

For any hockey fans that never got to see these players together, I would highly recommend checking it out. At their best, they were absolutely poetry on ice.
As a little immigrant boy from serbia that just moved to Windsor Ontario in 1995. They are the reason i fell in love with the wings.
Federov

Reactions: Syckle78 and lilidk

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Saw the movie tonight. Absolutely fantastic. A great mix of international espionage, the tense roller coaster of building success (without knowing if it would ever result in a championship), and heartwarming nostalgia...all wrapped up in some ridiculously great hockey.

A few notes:

1) When Detroit GM Jimmy Devellano first decided to go after Russian players, he was really taking a shot in the dark logistically. He actually admitted that his starting point was talking with the only person he knew that spoke Russian and was knowledgeable about hockey: Keith Gave, a reporter at the Free Press. Devellano met with Gave at a restaurant, and told him of his plans, asking for his assistance in secretly getting information to Fedorov. But in contrast to the cloak and dagger setup, Gave's take on the exchange was hilarious: "I had heard of reporters being used as pawns in dealings of espionage before, and I thought...why not me?" Made me laugh out loud in the theater.

2) I guess I had never fully appreciated the time lapse between when Fedorov, Konstantinov, and Kozlov were drafted, and when they finally played their first game here. For each player, there were years in between using a pick on them, and getting them in the country. And it wasn't a case of scouting a new pool of players, or using an evaluation technique that was ahead of the curve. It was seeing an impenetrable nation of hockey players that the entire world knew contained some elite talent... And somehow finding ways to steal the proverbial gold from Fort Knox (instead of essentially throwing the pick away, as many teams still considered it to draft a Russian).

3) The movie ranged from the Dead Wings era, up through the limo crash and the second championship in 1998. But the icing on the cake was having Konstantinov and McCarty on stage afterwards. My wife and I even left the theater at the same time as Vladdy and his daughter. Very cool.

Overall, I would highly recommend to any hockey fan that they see this film. And for Wings fans in particular, it was tremendous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henkka

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Oh, and one other thing. Back in the 1980's and early 90's, I was following the team on the ice, but I didn't start paying much attention to the front office until circa 2000, so I was never very familiar with Jim Devellano as a person, besides what I occasionally heard in the media.

The guy is a riot to listen to. Several times, the entire audience was laughing at the way he explained things. A very animated and engaging person to hear.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
giTlIeh.jpg

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

GarryMc

Apr 17, 2018
When I saw the headline, I at first thought this was referring to the guys working in Trump's White House.
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/image.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/image.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad