Russian draft thread

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Hi! thought we could have a thread were we talk about Russian prospect available in NHL draft for the upcoming years..

2011 is not very deep draft year for russia. But there is some really good players available.

Alexander Khokhlachev: Great talent. Play in OHL and has a good first year in North America. He is a hardworking forward with great hands, speed and shot. He is kinda small but not afraid for body contact. Could be a good in a 2-3rd line.

Vladislav Namestnikov: Dont know too much about him.. but from clips he has good hands and great speed.

Nikita Kucherov: Kinda unknown player before the u18 WC. but after 11 goals and 21 points :handclap: he should had open some scouts eyes. He was named best forward in the tournament. Skill wise he has a deadly shot and good playmaker skills. He skates pretty good and has some nice hands, He is what u can call a typical russian player. He sometimes has bad attitude and he need to put on some weight. The KHL factor is a risk... could be a 1 line player if everything turn out well..

Maxim Shalunov: Skates well, has good hands and pretty good shot. He likes to challenge the defender on the wing and take a quick shot. He can be too selfish sometimes, and questionable attitude but he has some elite talent.. He is either a 1-2 line player or not useful in my mind..

pouskin74*

if there is no 1 or 2 line available for russians lets say in terms of 2-3 years then they just move back to Russia.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I know that Arzamastsev is in this upcoming draft, but what about Nesterov, Pedan and Yarullin?

I like all 4 of these blue-line prospects. All have significant upside.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
I know that Arzamastsev is in this upcoming draft, but what about Nesterov, Pedan and Yarullin?

I like all 4 of these blue-line prospects. All have significant upside.

Yeah i really liked what i saw from Nesterov and Yarullin in U18 WC. Arzamastsev looks good from the few games i have seen. All player should be drafted, they are skilled enough but who knows were they will be select...

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I wouldn't be too surprised to see some overagers in the disscussion for later draftrounds. Especially Gusev (I mean, he's like a smaller even more magic version of Kucherov, and got some phenomenal playmaking skills), Marchenko, maybe Lyubimov or Apalkov or Dvurechensky.

and indeed,Nesterov looked very wellrounded at the U-18 WC.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
CSKA Moscow has some really good young players like Kucherov, Grigorenko, Gusev, Prohorkin and Marchenko.. Wonder who will be playing in KHL next year?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
CSKA Moscow has some really good young players like Kucherov, Grigorenko, Gusev, Prohorkin and Marchenko.. Wonder who will be playing in KHL next year?

who? I think that Kucherov, Gusev, Prohorkin and Marchenko... some games Grigorenko

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
KUCHEROV was a revelation to me at the World U-18's... I don't think this is another Chistov /bust risk ...This kid looks like the best release+shot since Bossy--I also saw hustle in his game...looks easily like the equal in skill to any forward in this draft--the question now is HOW HIGH willhe rise?

THE KHL scare factor with Russkies --especially Russkies not playing in NA --is going to be there-but some team will clearly see him as BPA earlier than expected ...MAYBE he goes in the mid to late teens now -that is how impressive he was....you cannot teach that relese and shot -simply exceptional ...I would even relax my never take a Russkie if you draft for the Blackhawks rule -if this guy is Bossy -a lot of teams wilbe very sorry they passed him by...
The release and shot -nobody in the draft does it better...but the KHL risk -that's what GM's will weigh --will they delay till late rund one or to round two? OR shoot for the moon early and grab him before he goes off the board..

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Kucherov is staying in KHL :handclap:

Форвард "Красной Армии" Никита Кучеров, установивший новый рекорд результативности на ЮЧМ, в эфире телеканала "Россия-2" признался, что хотел бы выступать в КХЛ за ЦСКА:

- Хотелось бы выступать за ЦСКА в КХЛ, закрепиться в составе. Но для этого надо много работать. Буду стараться, тренироваться.

I would like to play for CSKA in KHL to make a team. It is a lot of job, I will do my best, I will train so much...

source
source

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
do you think that Prohorkin is more ready than Grigorenko?

I dont know, Prohorkin played some games in KHL last season, he has some experiance... Grigorenko is younger, good.. who knows? We will see. I am sure that Gusev and Kucherov will play KHL next season, Prokhorkin and Grigs maybe...

UkraineTrain

Jul 9, 2010
Ukraine
Kucherov is staying in KHL :handclap:

Форвард "Красной Армии" Никита Кучеров, установивший новый рекорд результативности на ЮЧМ, в эфире телеканала "Россия-2" признался, что хотел бы выступать в КХЛ за ЦСКА:

- Хотелось бы выступать за ЦСКА в КХЛ, закрепиться в составе. Но для этого надо много работать. Буду стараться, тренироваться.

I would like to play for CSKA in KHL to make a team. It is a lot of job, I will do my best, I will train so much...

source
source

It looks more like he wants to establish himself as a top player in CSKA before coming to NHL than go to NA immediatly. He never said that he won't play in NHL. So keep dreaming. It would be the best for him to play 2-3 years in KHL and then come to NHL and tear it up. Just like OV and Malkin did.:yo:
He will be a steal in upcoming draft for sure.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't think that NHL teams would risk a 7th round pick for an overage Russian, they are better off trying to sign them as free agents, however you never know.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Am I Crazy to even thinking of selecting Alexander Khokhlachev at arround 12 overall in the upcoming draft. I feel this kid is soo skilled and will bea stud in the up coming years.

I feel he'S a steal at 12th or 13th. I know he's rank from 14th overall to 25th. But I feel he soo underrated and that Vladislav Namestnikov is over rated. AM I Wrong?

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Am I Crazy to even thinking of selecting Alexander Khokhlachev at arround 12 overall in the upcoming draft. I feel this kid is soo skilled and will bea stud in the up coming years.

I feel he'S a steal at 12th or 13th. I know he's rank from 14th overall to 25th. But I feel he soo underrated and that Vladislav Namestnikov is over rated. AM I Wrong?

Based on just this season it's probably Khokhlachev. But Namestnikov is much faster (not that Khokh would be slow at all) and taller and especially seems physically well behind Khokh., thus got a bigger potential to improve his game with added weight. I guess Scouts are intrigued by his ceiling if he totally pans out.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
He's played in Russia for the past few years according to eliteprospects. But maybe before that? It's easy to forget pronunciation after a few years though, so I'm still impressed.

And yes Kozlov is his uncle.
I spoke to him last summer, he talked something about childhood in US. He started to play hockey in US

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad