Russian COVID vaccine: why more and more countries are turning to Sputnik V

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
For the high risk people, getting the cold is surely a better outcome than getting the coronavirus

Comes down to risk management
I don't even think Brazil's worry here is how it works but is instead Brazil not liking that it appears to them they got an incomplete application and bad vaccine samples.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
For the high risk people, getting the cold is surely a better outcome than getting the coronavirus

Comes down to risk management

There's more trouble than just that. Check post#21 for the WP article.

Lack of quality control
Little to no adverse effect data
Batches completely different than the ones used in the trials
Flaws in every stage of the clinical studies
Lack of identified manufacturing conditions that demonstrate that the products are consistently produced and controlled
Regulatory agency inspection refusal

Red flag after red flag

Reactions: Luckylarry

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
There's more trouble than just that. Check post#21 for the WP article.

Lack of quality control
Little to no adverse effect data
Batches completely different than the ones used in the trials
Flaws in every stage of the clinical studies
Lack of identified manufacturing conditions that demonstrate that the products are consistently produced and controlled
Regulatory agency inspection refusal

Red flag after red flag

That is not good. I wouldn't take it based upon that then

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Oops:

Was expecting some issues to be found when under bigger scrutiny, but that's a big one.

Oh but there's more:

Brazil rejects Sputnik V vaccine, says it’s tainted with replicating cold virus

"Health regulators in Brazil say that doses of Russia's Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine contain a cold-causing virus capable of replicating in human cells. The unintended presence of the virus in the vaccine can "lead to infections in humans and can cause damage and death, especially in people with low immunity and respiratory problems, among other health problems," Brazil's Health Regulatory Agency, Anvisa, said Wednesday in a translated statement. Russia has unequivocally denied the claim, lobbed legal threats at Anvisa, and accused the respected regulators of being politically motivated to reject the vaccine. Still, Brazil's findings raise serious questions about the quality and safety of the vaccine, which is now being used in many countries. The findings also support concerns of Slovak regulators, who said earlier this month that batches of Sputnik V they received did not "have the same characteristics and properties" as the Sputnik V vaccine that was described in a peer-reviewed publication and found to be 91.6 percent effective.

Moreover, quality-control issues weren't the end of Anvisa's concerns. In an overall evaluation of the Russian vaccine, Brazil's regulators found its safety and efficacy were based on insufficient, limited, and sometimes faulty data and analyses. "Flaws... were identified in all stages of clinical studies," Anvisa said. The agency also reported that its inspectors who traveled to Russia to assess the vaccine's production were barred from vaccine facilities at Gamaleya Institute, which developed Sputnik V. Russia touts that "the safety and efficacy of Sputnik V has been confirmed by 61 regulators in countries where the vaccine has been authorized." However, Brazil's regulators said that of the 51 countries it contacted, only 14 were using the vaccine, and most of those countries did not have a tradition of vigilant drug-safety monitoring."

So to anyone that says the best vaccine is the one you can get I say: you first. Sorry but I won't be trusting my health to either the Chinese or Russian government.

Last edited:
Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
A real shame as it seemed the Russian vaccine would be decent enough. Hopefully other solutions will step up soon.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Imagine quoting the Sputnik V twitter account for anything vaccine related. It's like quoting the NRA for gun safety stuff.

Pure propaganda account.

If I understand correctly, this account is run by the PR guys from the Gamaleya Research Institute (or hired by them), so it is not a propaganda, but an official answer from the Sputnik's developers.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If I understand correctly, this account is run by the PR guys from the Gamaleya Research Institute (or hired by them), so it is not a propaganda, but an official answer from the Sputnik's developers.

I know it comes from the Gamaleya Institute. It doesn't change the fact this account has been spreading propaganda against the other vaccine while pretending the Sputnik V vaccine is perfect.

Just look at the 2nd tweet:
The document shows based on public data from regulators that Sputnik V demonstrates the best safety record of any vaccine. Big pharma opponents of Sputnik V are scared of its success, cannot find any weaknesses and are forced to come up with fake news that are easy to refute.

How can you take that seriously?

It's either pumping his tires against the other vaccines or going on any news pointing at something negative about Sputnik V and calling them fake news/attacks while never providing actual data.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I know it comes from the Gamaleya Institute. It doesn't change the fact this account has been spreading propaganda against the other vaccine while pretending the Sputnik V vaccine is perfect.

The document shows based on public data from regulators that Sputnik V demonstrates the best safety record of any vaccine. Big pharma opponents of Sputnik V are scared of its success, cannot find any weaknesses and are forced to come up with fake news that are easy to refute.

It's either pumping his tires against the other vaccines or going on any news pointing at something negative about Sputnik V and calling them fake news/attacks while never providing actual data.

If you have followed some of the recent statements by the official diplomatic(!) Russian services, then you may have noticed the similar style there, so it is kind of a new official Russian rhetorics. Not too classy I'd say, but that's how it is.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If you have followed some of the recent statements by the official diplomatic(!) Russian services, then you may have noticed the similar style there, so it is kind of a new official Russian rhetorics. Not too classy I'd say, but that's how it is.

I would say that's an additional red flag, not an explanation. :laugh:

Reactions: Jussi

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It is not an explanation either, just a statement like "It is not true. And we are the best.".

I meant the fact that they are copying Russia's diplomacy model, but yes.

I mean, it was shady from the moment they named it Sputnik V (well even before that, but yeah).

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I meant the fact that they are copying Russia's diplomacy model, but yes.

I mean, it was shady from the moment they named it Sputnik V (well even before that, but yeah).

Gamaleya is not a private research facility, you know. And in the whole vaccination process there is a lot of politics and diplomacy involved, including that statement. Basically I see it as an answer to questions from the countries that use this vaccine and simple "It is not true" statement will likely be enough for them.

The pandemics probably made me too cynical, but now I kind of don't care which methods they use, as long as that will help stopping that ******* pandemics.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Imagine quoting the Sputnik V twitter account for anything vaccine related. It's like quoting the NRA for gun safety stuff.

Pure propaganda account.

Yeah, and American (or Canadian) doctor is absolutely unbiased, when talking about Russian vaccine. Sure, 100% true.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If you can't see it, that's on you.

Argentina has already recieved 4.8M doses of Sputnik V. Dozens countries and millions people have already used the vaccine. Even Putin used it, and he would have never used anything, that was remotely dangerous to him.

Now, I've heard, that Brazil was under heavy American pressure to not approve Sputnik, and the case is now in Brazilian Supreme Court.

That's how I see it.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Any statement that leads of with "fake news" needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Yeah, and American (or Canadian) doctor is absolutely unbiased, when talking about Russian vaccine. Sure, 100% true.

I mean, it's Brazilian doctors and researchers that have raised the red flags. I don't think Brazil has any particular bias and in fact they seem to have good relations with Russia these days.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Argentina has already recieved 4.8M doses of Sputnik V. Dozens countries and millions people have already used the vaccine. Even Putin used it, and he would have never used anything, that was remotely dangerous to him.

Now, I've heard, that Brazil was under heavy American pressure to not approve Sputnik, and the case is now in Brazilian Supreme Court.

That's how I see it.

Repeating myself:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/27/sputnik-vaccine-brazil-russia-coronavirus/
Earlier this month, Slovakia’s pharmaceutical regulator scrapped a batch of Sputnik V doses it said did not share “the same characteristics and properties” as those examined by the Lancet.​

Meaning that the doses in the clinical trials (and that Putin received (if he actually did)) may be fine, but that many mass produced doses may not be.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->