Russian Coaching Staff's

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Den said:
Many Russian NHLers are full of themselves as you put it: Zuby, Khaby, little Bure, S. Kozlov, Mogilny, Fedy, Samsonov... Kovalev seems to be joining the camp.

Those guys aren't full of themselves....at least not in the NHL. They're just smart enough to know not to put up with the BS of the Krikunov's, Mikhailov's, Steblin's etc. That's starting to extend beyond NHLers as well to RSLers (Morozov, Zinoviev, Yushkevich).

The Nabokov interview from a new months ago says it all.
http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/default.asp?date=2006/3/15&id=217207

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
Zine said:
Those guys aren't full of themselves....at least not in the NHL. They're just smart enough to know not to put up with the BS of the Krikunov's, Mikhailov's, Steblin's etc. That's starting to extend beyond NHLers as well to RSLers (Morozov, Zinoviev, Yushkevich).

Exactly what I think. Once players see how things are done professionally, it must feel awkward to go back to the same old BS. It's Krikunov who is full of himself, but I don't blame him since he is old and doesn't know any better.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Icekube said:
Exactly what I think. Once players see how things are done professionally, it must feel awkward to go back to the same old BS. It's Krikunov who is full of himself, but I don't blame him since he is old and doesn't know any better.

Wishful thinking. None of these guys would ever go to WC under any coach.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Zine said:
That's starting to extend beyond NHLers as well to RSLers (Morozov, Zinoviev, Yushkevich).

You didn't get invited to the OG - suck it up, and come next time when you are called upon. Like Crosby and Shannny did. Nooooooo, we have to pout. :thumbd:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Tell me, Den, how can you call someone a good coach or expect to win when:

There is 2 minutes left in sudden death overtime, before a shootout in which your team would be heavily favoured, and you send out Emeleev to take a defensive zone faceoff when Emeleev is the worst center on your team in terms of faceoff percentage and the worst center on your team period. Noreover, given the critical situation, you back up your worst center with your worst two defenders in Misharin and Kruchinin. How can you possibly call Krikunov a good coach or expect to win anything? An NHL coach would be shot if he did this in a preseason game.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Slitty said:
Tell me, Den, how can you call someone a good coach or expect to win when:

There is 2 minutes left in sudden death overtime, before a shootout in which your team would be heavily favoured, and you send out Emeleev to take a defensive zone faceoff when Emeleev is the worst center on your team in terms of faceoff percentage and the worst center on your team period. Noreover, given the critical situation, you back up your worst center with your worst two defenders in Misharin and Kruchinin. How can you possibly call Krikunov a good coach or expect to win anything? An NHL coach would be shot if he did this in a preseason game.

It begs the question as to why those 3 were even in Riga. I know Russia was missing quite a few top RSLers, but there's no rational explanation as to why those guys even made the team.....let alone trusted to take a key face-off in overtime.

And its not like the Canadian olympic situation where you could debate a Lecavalier being taken over Staal or Crosby. Guys like Emeleev and Kruchinin aren't even in the same league as some of the players they were chosen over.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Zine said:
It begs the question as to why those 3 were even in Riga. I know Russia was missing quite a few top RSLers, but there's no rational explanation as to why those guys even made the team.....let alone trusted to take a key face-off in overtime.

And its not like the Canadian olympic situation where you could debate a Lecavalier being taken over Staal or Crosby. Guys like Emeleev and Kruchinin aren't even in the same league as some of the players they were chosen over.

To sleep: perchance to dream of better teams: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of sorrow what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this grief and frustration,
The realization that Krikunov always takes his boys.

Like Kharitonov + Bykov (orginally) to the Olympics, this is purely Kharitonov's favouritism. Both Emeleev and Kruchinin played for Krikunov at the club level at some point in time. Emeleev is absolute excretory substance, while Krichunin has been described by Krikunov himself as an average defenceman who I've known since my days at *some team he coached*. Both, like Kharitonov at the Olympics, don't corrsepond to the level of competition in terms of quality.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
This adds more fuel to the fire that a foreign coach who has no club loyalties Dinamo in this instance be chosen.

The coachs professional caliber must be sufficient that the players will respect him & play his system.The fact is these players are millionaires they are no longer property of the state & will blindly follow the coachs instructions.

They need a coach whose professionalism matches their own & a backup staff to match.With Larionov at the helm I'm sure such a possibility would be looked at far more seriously than it has ever been before.

The cult of personality has afflicted the national soccer team too & at last after a sucession of ineffective domestic coaches a man with an iron will but ALSO a good man manager Hiddink is being brought in.

The same applies to the hockey team.13 years of barren failure with the level of stellar talent available is a disgrace an utter disgrace.

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
Some russian official called Klaus Zaugg, IIHF hockey "expert", they want Ralph Krueger as the new head coach:

source (German, not complete, only the printed version of Blick newspaper is complete): http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey/artikel37180

He asked Zaugg for the cell # of Ralph Krueger. In the article Zaugg said they (Russian officials) are clueless why they never succeded since 1993. They think Krueger has enough charisma to unite the russian players to an actual team. He has enough authority.
But Swiss officials will deny any offer.

Don't know if that's REALLY an option, but hey, rumours are still interesting!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Even with Tretiak at the helm, I can't see a foreign coach being let anywhere near a national team bench - no matter who it is. That's like admitting failure.
I heard that Bykov is being considered; he did a real good job with CSKA this year. For some reason I always though a lot of NHLers didn't mind Yurzinov. :dunno:

To truely be able to bring the NHLers in the fold, I think they're gonna need an ex-NHLer as coach. Don't know if anybody's competent or experienced enough at that level yet.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Den said:
Ahh, an overtime loss and "everything needs to be changed"
True, people often overreact to events like this. But honestly, I thought Ovechkin was going to win the game every time he stepped on the ice. It's hard to understand why they wouldn't get him out there every chance they had, at least in OT.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
My personal preference would be Dave King. He knows the RSLers so he would be good for coaching at the Eurotour and such. He also has NHL experience, doesn't have any gripes with NHLers, and approaches coaching with proffessionalism. Igor Larionov to be his GM in a perfect world.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
TORRUS said:
IGOR LARIONOV is the answer to all Russia's problems.

If Sergei Nemchinov showed interest in a more international role (both Russia + NHL) I would prefer him if we onyl have 1 single GM. Optimally I would appoint Larinov or alternatively Bure as the head GM with Nemchinov as the North American helper and Igor Tuzik as the Russian helper.

My coach of choice would be Scotty Bowman, if not him then Dave King. He needs to assistants in a young Russian upandcommer who can take over the reigns in the future in Bykov and a likeable more experienced guy like Yurzinov.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Slitty said:
If Sergei Nemchinov showed interest in a more international role (both Russia + NHL) I would prefer him if we onyl have 1 single GM. Optimally I would appoint Larinov or alternatively Bure as the head GM with Nemchinov as the North American helper and Igor Tuzik as the Russian helper.

My coach of choice would be Scotty Bowman, if not him then Dave King. He needs to assistants in a young Russian upandcommer who can take over the reigns in the future in Bykov and a likeable more experienced guy like Yurzinov.
I agree about Dave King. Dave King had some success with Canada's international teams, he has experience coaching in RSL, he's professional, I like his defense-first approach too. About Bykov - is it the same Bykov from CSKA's 2nd line? As in Bykov-Khomutov?

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Slitty said:

I'd like to see Bowman too but I do remember reading an article in which Larionov said he spoke to Bowman on becoming Russias coach .Bowman said it would be a great honour but as a very proud Canadian he would have to decline & also added that such a great hockey nation as Russia should not have to resort to using foreign coaches.

In this case then King is a viable option with Bykov as assistant or Yursinov.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
alcoholyca said:

He didn't have a good experience at the '96 world cup and has refused to play since.
There were also rumors going around about something that happened between his wife and one of ex-Hockey Federation Presidents. Can't remember if it was Steblin or Sych. :dunno:

Last edited:

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
Zine said:
He didn't have a good experience at the '96 world cup and has refused to play since.
There were also rumors going around about something that happened between his wife and one of ex-Hockey Federation Presidents. Can't remember if it was Steblin or Sych. :dunno:
It was Steblin :confused:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad