Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Which Canada Cup team was better?

1981 team:

Goalies: Vladislav Tretiak, Vladimir Myshkin
Defensemen: Vyacheslav Fetisov, Alexei Kasatonov, Sergei Babinov, Valeri Vasilyev, Vasili Pervukhin, Zinetula Bilyaletdinov, Vladimir Zubkov
Forwards: Vladimir Krutov, Igor Larionov, Sergei Makarov, Vladimir Golikov, Alexander Maltsev, Nikolai Drozdetsky, Sergei Kapustin, Sergei Shepelev, Viktor Shalimov, Andrei Khomutov, Viktor Zhluktov, Alexander Skvortsov, Irek Gimayev

1987 team

Goalies: Sergei Mylnikov, Evgeny Beloshejkin
Defensemen: Vyacheslav Fetisov, Alexei Kasatonov, Vasili Pervukhin, Igor Kravchuk, Igor Stelnov, Alexei Gusarov, Anatoli Fedotov
Forwards: Vladimir Krutov, Igor Larionov, Sergei Makarov, Valeri Kamensky, Vyacheslav Bykov, Andrei Khomutov, Andrei Lomakin, Anatoli Semenov, Sergei Svetlov, Yuri Khmylev, Alexander Semak, Sergei Pryakhin, Sergei Nemchinov

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
81 team had better goaltending, but I'd give the 87 team the slight edge, mainly due to the famed green unit, being closer to their prime in 87 than in 81.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
i'd give the edge at forward to the 87 team but on defence and in goal to the 81 squad. Overall edge 81.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Chili said:
i'd give the edge at forward to the 87 team but on defence and in goal to the 81 squad. Overall edge 81.

How come?

I think the 81 team was far more superior in goaltending, defense AND forwards, especially forwards. The 1981 had a lot more depth on forward line with great veteran players like Kapustin, Zhluktov, Shalimov, Maltsev, Shepelev, Drozdetsky and Golikov playing behind the KLM line. The team also had the great Andrei Khomutov on 4th line! Although Khomutov was only 20 then.

The 1987 team had KLM line which was great (though Larionov was slumping because of an injury), a very good second line (Kamensky, Bykov and Khomutov) but after that is was thin. The third line really missed Sergei Svetlov who was injured against Sweden.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I think the '87 team was one of the poorer Soviet squads (no solid goaltending; a lack of depth at forward and defense).

I could be wrong, but I don't think they even won the world championships that year either.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah its hard to arguew against a team that bombed Canada 8-1. Tretiak is the big difference in those two teams. Mylnikov had trouble stopping a beach ball at times. That '87 team is very very good though. They are a hair behid Canada that year, just a hair. Fetisov and Kasatonov can play on my team if they'd like to!

But the '81 team had a good blend of veterans sprinkled with some youth. This is the best Russian team ever. Their only vicotry in a tourny at the top end so I give it to '81. Here's my top 5 list though just in case your wondering.

1. Canada '76
2. Canada '87
3. Russia '79-81
4. Russia '87
5. Canada '02/Canada '84

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Peter25 said:
How come?

I think the 81 team was far more superior in goaltending, defense AND forwards, especially forwards. The 1981 had a lot more depth on forward line with great veteran players like Kapustin, Zhluktov, Shalimov, Maltsev, Shepelev, Drozdetsky and Golikov playing behind the KLM line. The team also had the great Andrei Khomutov on 4th line! Although Khomutov was only 20 then.

The 1987 team had KLM line which was great (though Larionov was slumping because of an injury), a very good second line (Kamensky, Bykov and Khomutov) but after that is was thin. The third line really missed Sergei Svetlov who was injured against Sweden.

That's a long time ago but from memory KLM impressed me more in 1987. Second line was very good. Anatoli Semenov had a strong tournament. 1981 team had some great players who were nearing the end of their career (Maltsev, Zhluktov). I don't see ithe forwards as easily better for either year. I do remember that the 87 team was scary offensively. I would like to see the 1981 games again to refresh my memory though.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Yeah its hard to arguew against a team that bombed Canada 8-1. Tretiak is the big difference in those two teams. Mylnikov had trouble stopping a beach ball at times. That '87 team is very very good though. They are a hair behid Canada that year, just a hair. Fetisov and Kasatonov can play on my team if they'd like to!
I would even take Myshkin over either Mylnikov or Beloshejkin.

IMO the 81 team was better. The only Russian squad I ever saw that had a clear edge on Canada's best.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I think the best single Russian team (probably the best team ever) was the 1979 Soviet squad. Absolutely steamrolled through the '79 WC and took 2 out of 3 from the NHL all-star team - including a 6-0 shutout in the final game.

Vladislav Tretiak, Vladimir Myshkin

Valeri Vasiliev, Vasili Pervukhin, Yuri Fedorov, Gennady Tsygankov, Zinatulla Bilyaledtinov, Sergei Starikov, Sergei Babinov, Sergei Gimayev

Vladimir Petrov, Boris Mikhailov, Valeri Kharlamov, Alexander Maltsev, Sergei Kapustin, Mikhail Varnakov, Viktor Zhluktov, Vladimir Golikov, Alexander Golikov, Vladiir Kovin, Alexander Skvortsov, Helmut Balderis, Sergei Makarov, Viktor Tyumenev,

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Psycho Joe said:
I would even take Myshkin over either Mylnikov or Beloshejkin.

Myshkin is one of the best Russian goalies of all time, it's a shame that he had to play during the "Tretiak Era".

Overall, I'm taking the '81 team as well here, even though the '87 KLM line was an absolute monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad