Russia Wants 2 Million For Ovechkin!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I think it is about time.

Russia and several countries have been taking it up the butt for years. One of these days, I'll have to write more on this.

I understand the figure is outrageous especially since there is a new CBA coming up but there needs to be proper compensation, especially un Europe.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
They can want it all they want. If the Caps wish to, they can leave Ovechkin in Russia for one more season, and then his contract is up, and they'll get zilch.

Which, with a possible lockout looming, may not be a terrible idea. Better he play a full season in Russia, than half a season in the RSL and then some shortened NHL campaign. Hey, it would give Washington a shot at Crosby, so GM GM should be all over this. :rolleyes:

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
They can want it all they want. If the Caps wish to, they can leave Ovechkin in Russia for one more season, and then his contract is up, and they'll get zilch.

Which, with a possible lockout looming, may not be a terrible idea. Better he play a full season in Russia, than half a season in the RSL and then some shortened NHL campaign. Hey, it would give Washington a shot at Crosby, so GM GM should be all over this. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Gonna be a tough 04-05 season (if there is one) for Caps' fans. They are going to be abysmal.

The Rage

Vlad The Impaler said:

Russia and several countries have been taking it up the butt for years. One of these days, I'll have to write more on this.

I understand the figure is outrageous especially since there is a new CBA coming up but there needs to be proper compensation, especially un Europe.

Exactly. NHL fans need to understand they don't have a birth right to the best talent in the world. If the NHL wants a player, they should compensate the team they are taking the player from, if said team has a contract with the player. It's only fair.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
If the fee gets to be too big, why would any talented young kid with a shot ever sign more than a 1-year deal with a team?

Mr.Brownov*

I'm just down cause their's a big possibility Ovy won't come across next season because of this.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Marshall said:
Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Gonna be a tough 04-05 season (if there is one) for Caps' fans. They are going to be abysmal.
But at least they'll be young. As a Penguins fan, I can tell you that it's easy to watch a team lose as long as there is hope.

ceber said:
If the fee gets to be too big, why would any talented young kid with a shot ever sign more than a 1-year deal with a team?
Problem is that in Russia, they get these kids to sign like, 10 year deals when they're 14 or 15 years old. Nobody is going to pass up that kind of financial security.

Malkin is going to be even tougher, as he's signed for 4 more years. Although there's supposedly a clause in the deal that lets him exit Metallurg freely, the RHF is still going to want a couple million.

capman29

The Rage said:
Exactly. NHL fans need to understand they don't have a birth right to the best talent in the world. If the NHL wants a player, they should compensate the team they are taking the player from, if said team has a contract with the player. It's only fair.

And why should they if the player contract is over ? Since ther will be no season this fall the payment is moot anyway . If they want him and he wants to play there then the will have to put up big dollars but he want to play in the NHL so end of story .

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
No way are they getting 2 million. That would set a very bad precedent. Sonn they would be asking for millions of dollars for each and every player. They are asking for 10 times the amount they would get under the present agreement. Even if the Caps wanted to pay 10 times more than they are supposed to, it isn't a wise move for the future.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
No way are they getting 2 million. That would set a very bad precedent. Sonn they would be asking for millions of dollars for each and every player. They are asking for 10 times the amount they would get under the present agreement. Even if the Caps wanted to pay 10 times more than they are supposed to, it isn't a wise move for the future.
They're probably well aware that an agreement with the IIHF could be in place by next summer, so they're wanting to get as much money as they can.

Because, as you may or may not know, Ovechkin was the youngest player to lead Dynamo Moscow in scoring (with 13 goals).

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Burke's Evil Spirit said:

It is exactly what I would do, to be honest. Not only will Ovechkin be more seasoned, but the entry level contracts will also likely have alot more restrictions, etc. So not only is there no Dyanmo fee......there also isn't as much money that has to be dished out to sign him (i.e. bonus clauses, etc.)

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:

Here, Here!! The Russians should get something for losing their best players to the NHL. Too bad the real losers in this deal(the fans) don't get "compensated for growing up watching their best players go overseas. Thank god for direct TV.

Any Russian fans have an opinion on this?

Two million sounds about right as it was rumored to be as high as 3 mil. Who's to say they Russians won't conscript him into the Army. Isn't that what happened to Zherdev so he defected? In the former USSR, defection now means a hockey player wanting to escape to the US to make millions playing hockey. :dunno:

So Malkin costs about half that? Being a Pens fan, I can only imagine my sadness when we got the first pick, picked Ovy and then couldn't afford his airfare over here. :lol

Bottom line is the Russians develop these kids. However, I fail to see why they have to pay 2 mil (up front) when the kid hasn't played yet. Write it into the contract and then the Russian get the money.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
The Rage said:

It's not only about paying fees to an euro , it's more about compensate a country hockey federation who develop those kids to become those TOP picks in any draft.

The problem I have with the NHL is that they wish to pay the minimal fee as possible & saying to the IIHF or any hockey country federation ''Thank you for developing this player, we wish you good luck on developing the next one''.

The problem I have with the Dynamo asking for 2,000,000$ is for which purpose they intend to use that money. If a large part of that money goes to the ''system'' & that it help more kid from Russia to play hockey & get better equiped, I'M ALL FOR IT.

It's all about perception. NHL screw too many hockey nations that are in a lot of trouble to get the kids equiped & played hockey that I understand completely the Russian Federation (not the Moscow Dynamo) to ask for a better compensation.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
NHL should be wary of playing hardball. Cooperation in European hockey is still underdeveloped and has a lot room to improve. If things get ugly, we may soon find ourselves in a situation where all the young players are signed through four years or so. Also, if teams manage to win the players' trust, they could sign contracts with a different kind of NHL clause due which the team commits itself to release the player through negotiating an acceptable (but relatively high compared to current figures) transfer fee.

The problem is, even if the NHL forks enough money over to the IIHF, that will keep the richest clubs happy for only some time. If the rest are "only" satisfied, Russians probably won't be in a couple of years' time.

...And on the subject, a one-time payment of $2 million is realistic for Ovechkin.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
How much would Atlanta ask if someone would like to buy out Kovalchuk's contract? What would Florida want for Bouwmeester? Chicago for Ruutu? Would two million dollars be enough? You tell me.

Actually I think it is only fair to the fans of Dynamo that the team is asking big money. Either the fans will see their favorite player if Caps don't want to pay, or if they will, Dynamo could sign some nice replacement with the money.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Coder said:
Chelsea paid Rennes what... $20 million for a 20-year old goalkeeper named Peter Cech... interesting parallell.

Yeah, compared to soccer, 2 million for a player who is considered the top hockey prospect in the world and one of the best talents to come along in years isn't exactly a whole lot, to put it mildly...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Does anybody know the current values assigned as development fee payments to European, junior, and other amateur clubs or associations?

I totally agree that all of these teams that were involved in the development of a player need to be compensated by the NHL, but I think it is important that it is done under a formally structured system.

For example, there should be a set value for 1st round picks, a lower value for 2nd rounders, etc, etc, on down, with perhaps some strings attached to the age of the player, as development fees. These would probably be best paid to the hockey federations or associations, as opposed to the current clubs of the drafted player, so that the money can be put to development purposes and spread throughout the feeder system. (E.g. In Canada, CHA allots a certain amount to the major junior team, but also to the midget, bantam, etc programs that contributed to the player's development).

Much of this is (or was) already in place with the CHA and IIHF.

What we should not get into is a situation in which individual teams decide to hold a player for ransom with their own asking price. I don't think this is necessarily a large problem in most countries, even where young players are competing in pro leagues, because most organisations have a heart for the desires of the player, and are willing to support the player in his efforts to reach the pinnacle of his aspirations.

However, in Russia in particular, I can imagine situations in which certain teams would shamelessly poach young players from various other feeder systems, and I don't necessarily think that they would feel obliged to re-invest any ransoms they received back into hockey, instead of into lining their own pockets. It sounds like part of the problem now in Russia too is that the Federation itself is susceptible to this.

I don't really know how the league can solve this issue. It probably has to ultimately defer the problem to the IIHF, negotiate with the IIHF, and encourage the development of a strong and fair system that way, while resisting the temptation to jump in and act alone on an individual-by-individual basis. The league should probably direct the Capitals (and other teams) to hold off on making any independent deals.

Mr.Brownov*

I don't understand this,"Oh it's about time!The Russians have been getting f'd up the arse for years!"Give me a break!If it wasn't for the NHL,we wouldn't even know about them.Sure Russia has a great development program for their players,but it's the NHL and affiliates who make them who they are today!Besides having world tournaments,would we really recognise the Fedorov's and Markov's if the NHL didn't bring them across seas?

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Mr.Brownov said:
I don't understand this,"Oh it's about time!The Russians have been getting f'd up the arse for years!"Give me a break!If it wasn't for the NHL,we wouldn't even know about them.Sure Russia has a great development program for their players,but it's the NHL and affiliates who make them who they are today!Besides having world tournaments,would we really recognise the Fedorov's and Markov's if the NHL didn't bring them across seas?

I don't really understand this... You have to understand that people have different point of views. I could as well say something like "Do we really recognise them now as NHL took them away, across the seas". I guess it depends on who the "we" are. It's not all about NHL and North Americans fans.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Mr.Brownov said:
I don't understand this,"Oh it's about time!The Russians have been getting f'd up the arse for years!"Give me a break!If it wasn't for the NHL,we wouldn't even know about them.Sure Russia has a great development program for their players, but it's the NHL and affiliates who make them who they are today!

The NHL's made Ovechkin what he is today, yeah right. :joker:

Besides having world tournaments,would we really recognise the Fedorov's and Markov's if the NHL didn't bring them across seas?

I guess Russian clubs (and fans) would be much better off if Fedorov or Markov were not "recognized" in NA...

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Blind Gardien said:
What we should not get into is a situation in which individual teams decide to hold a player for ransom with their own asking price. I don't think this is necessarily a large problem in most countries, even where young players are competing in pro leagues, because most organisations have a heart for the desires of the player, and are willing to support the player in his efforts to reach the pinnacle of his aspirations.

However, in Russia in particular, I can imagine situations in which certain teams would shamelessly poach young players from various other feeder systems, and I don't necessarily think that they would feel obliged to re-invest any ransoms they received back into hockey, instead of into lining their own pockets. It sounds like part of the problem now in Russia too is that the Federation itself is susceptible to this.
Isn't that how it works in football ? It's far from perfect, but it works and I'd say it sounds better than anything the NHL would come up with, unless they eventually accept to pay the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad