Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Slitty said:
Yes, but you see: Russia was a lot more heavily penalized than the US throughout the game. Just on other US powerplays Malkin would block a shot or steal the puck and go for a relaxed skate in the US zone, deke a few US defenders, and either shoot himself or pass to a teamate.

In the 2nd period Malkin did not kill as many penalties and was in the box for 4 minutes himself (doubleminor). Russia was not completely dominated in the 2nd, even shorthanded they looked the better team and were on the attack. I remember some very pretty short handed tic-tac-toe rushes and a two-on-one along with the usual Malkin plays. The US did come out strong at the begining of the 2nd though (as Canada should if they want to win) and Russia was not as dominant as in the first period when their offensive flair was largely uncontested by the US. Yet there were some bleak moments when things looked grim for Russia in the 2nd as well. The delayed penalty call when the US controlled the puck for a couple of minutes seemed like ages and had me on the edge of my seat in nervousness.

I know, I've seen the game. That's what I meant: too many penalties=outshot. But with the exception of two-three shots and piles ups, most of them were pretty harmless. Unlike the three or so Russian shorthanded counterattacks.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Team Canada is doomed.

Hmmm, you said exactly that about Russia before their game against the US. How ironic.

Anyway, Russia is stronger on paper and certainly Malkin just adds another dimension to the game, but I think the Canadian D is the strongest in the tournament and we'll see how well they measure up. If Cogs has finally got it going and Pouliot finds his game, I think we'll be able to bury some of these chances we've been missing and come out on top.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Exactly, offense and skill against hard work and defense. One school vs. another, one philosophy of hockey vs. another. Will be good game anyway.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Team Canada is doomed.

The same guy who said Russia had no chance against the clearly superior US and that Malkin sucked has seen the light and is full fervorent zealous belief in Russia's chances. My, I've seen everything.

I don't know if that means you will be cheering for Russia or not, but welcome aboard if yes. Although I must agree, doomed is a little harsh, they have decent chances if they play their cards right.

Geese_Howard*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Team Canada is doomed.

lol previous posts suggest you dont know what your talking about

Canada will have a hard game, but if you think russia is gonna steam roll us and destroy is 10-0 think again, unlike the americans, we have a very good coach

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Den said:
That's too harsh...

I don't mince words. Would you like the fluffed up "diplomatic" version of that?

Team Canada will try Sutter's "positionally sound" defense first system and try to initiate a strong forecheck. Pogge will shine early until the defense starts looking like a midget league holding up dainty-naps to stop the Johnstown Flood of 1889, and then the painfully slow defense of the Canadian team will start to look like pylons before Sutter throws in the towel and Pogge starts looking for the exit doors. 12-3 Russia.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Red said:
Hmmm, you said exactly that about Russia before their game against the US. How ironic.

No I didn't. Find the quote and link us all. In fact I think that's the first time I've used the word "doomed" on this board. I did predict a US win over Russia, but never said "doomed". Do you always fabricate, or just to entertain yourself?

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Rush5Collapse5 said:
I don't mince words. Would you like the fluffed up "diplomatic" version of that?

Team Canada will try Sutter's "positionally sound" defense first system and try to initiate a strong forecheck. Pogge will shine early until the defense starts looking like a midget league holding up dainty-naps to stop the Johnstown Flood of 1889, and then the painfully slow defense of the Canadian team will start to look like pylons before Sutter throws in the towel and Pogge starts looking for the exit doors. 12-3 Russia.
You're Americans are nothing more then bronze medalists get it through you're head.

4-3 Russia, Canadians just won't be able to handle the Russians but there hard work will make it close.

GPF

US Bandwagon
Oct 22, 2004
Barcelona, Spain
Wow, I've been the tie vote for russia so far ... 53 - 53 !!

Russia!!

I just listeneed to one period this morning .. but Russia!! Just a heart vote .... a boat loaded with talent!

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Do you know what you are trying to say?

I do, there will be a game day thread for the championship game, until then this is closed. If I were some of you, I would cool it if you want to make it to the championship game and not be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad