Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I was sure Russia was a weak team with Malkin there to prop them up, but it turns out they are actually pretty good. They are the biggest surprise of the tournament for me. I think the final could go either way.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
After seeing Russia three times, they have a more skilled team than Canada. But at the same time, this is a very winnable game for Team Canada - especially if the players are buying what Brent Sutter is selling.

Russia should win, but it's Canada's game to lose. That sounds like a very contradictory statement, but it's true.

The_Cube

Dec 17, 2005
Sweden
I voted Canada just as a biased point of view. I think it's going to be a really close game. Except for Emelin and Zubov, the Russians don't have that strong of a defensecore. And I'm not convinced on their goalie yet (just as I'm conviced about Pogge), but we shall see.

Yureeka47*

Emelin apparently got a game misconduct according to the IIHF scoresheet.. will he be playing vs Canada? I hope so, Americans completely provoked that whole mess.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Looks to me like an extremely close game. I see something like a 2-2 tie late in the third.

It'll just depend on who gets that big break, who makes that crucial mistake.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is as it should be. The 2 greatest hockey nations of all time battling it out - and 2 Countries that actually understand the game!

Russia is a powerhouse and by all rights should win gold. But if the Canadians play mistake free, stay out of the box, and grind Russia down, they have a good chance at winning.

Bottom line, though we've had some big battles in the past, these 2 countries respect one another as hockey powers and it won't be a shameful situation for the team that loses.

It's gonna be a humdinger of a game, just hope our Russian fans watching on TSN can handle the serious bias.

GO CANADA GO!

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I Voted for Russia

Too impressive not to be favored. The whipping of the US puts an exclamation point on it for me. Win or lose, good tournament for our kids. :)

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Yureeka47 said:
Emelin apparently got a game misconduct according to the IIHF scoresheet.. will he be playing vs Canada? I hope so, Americans completely provoked that whole mess.

yeah, i also am wondering about this. i think only a match penalty causes an automatic suspension?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Russia has skill on their side. Canada has the lunch bucket, the better goalie (by a large margin) and home ice. very tough call. This should be one of the best finals we've seen in years.

I must say, I'm not shocked, but surprized these very young Canadians have done so well.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Le Golie said:
Russia has skill on their side. Canada has the lunch bucket, the better goalie (by a large margin) and home ice. very tough call. This should be one of the best finals we've seen in years.

I must say, I'm not shocked, but surprized these very young Canadians have done so well.
You know, after last WJCs sicne late 90's it's our home ice too ;)

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Le Golie said:
Canada has the better goalie (by a large margin)

Both goalies are hot right now and that's all that matters.

Pogge hasn't impressed me too much yet, but thats mostly cuz he gets no shots.

Still, though Canada has a better goalie as far as season stats go, both are good and I dont think either will let the flood gates open.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Before this tournament, I was saying Russia will probably win gold. After watching tonights game, and taking it consideration the preliminary thumping Russia took from Canada, I think Canada wins this.

What I saw tonight I felt that Russia should be concerned about:

1. Zone clearing ability. Wow...the first two periods, they made little in zone passes that they were lucky not to have come bite them in the rear.I saw some instances where they could not clear the puck out of their own zone for what must have been periods of close to a minute.I'll add sloppy passing....altho the two somewhat fit into each other

2. Finishing checks/physicality they can hit, however often don't. I saw plenty of plays that were pretty weak looking stick checks that could have been punishing body checks.

3. Shots against....USA totally dominated them in the second period, despite being theoretically the more tired team.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
If Canada plays their game - the game that saw them surrender one even strength goal all tournament - and if Pogge plays like he has in the first five games, Canada can definitely win the game. The Russians are more physical than we thought, but we'll see how they handle a non-stop, physical onslaught.

If Canada gets away from they're game and tries to beat the Russians in an offensive contest, Canada is finished.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Other than Malkin, what is the main difference between the Russian team that lost 8-1 to Canada and the current incarnation? Cause this Russian team doesn't seem too likely to lose like that....

That said, given the way the Russian played at the end of the the semifinal game, I hope we cream them.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Canada is much more competent defensively than the US, and it won't be as easy for the Russian forwards to enter their zone and create plays.

On the other hand, I think/hope, Canada doesn't have offensive weapons like Kessel, Schremp, Wheeler or Skille this year, so that hopefully makes the Russian defensemen's job a little easier.

Lastly, I hope we see some great hockey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad