Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2020

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Recently there have been strong international results from Russian teams at different levels, so in a broader sense I'm pleased.

I would rather see strong teams win silvers, with positive growth and development across the board, than weaker teams clawing their way to golds.

This being said, I would be much happier if Russia was developing elite-level centermen and they're not.

I believe this year team had best stock on centers for a long time. Khovanov, Voronkov, Morozov, Alexandrov have some potential and skill.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
btw, loved to watch the line of Podkolzin - Morozov - Marchenko to play for the SKA yesterday against Dynamo Moscow. They looked better than many established players like Plotnikov and Koskiranta.

Hopefully these young kids start to break up the lineups of good KHL teams more often in the future.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
And they absolutely have to stop the flow of best junior players to North America.

While I agree that CHL route isn't the best option for Russian prospects, staying with their home teams isn't always ideal either.

Prospects from top KHL teams like SKA, CSKA, etc seem to have it the worst. They are often times blocked from playing time by veteran players.

I wish there would more "loan" transfers in KHL, where top teams with surplus of talent send talented youngsters to lower teams where they will get more playing time.

If you look at the top Russian players right now, a significant percentage of them developed by getting playing time for mid-to-lower KHL teams.

Tarasenko and Zaytsev with Sibir
Panarin with Vityaz
Kuzy with Traktor
Dadonov with Traktor, then Donbass
Bob, Orlov and Kaprizov in Novokuznetsk
Varly and Gavrikov with Loko

That's the most ideal route, clearly.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
For the last 2 years in the WJC, Russia has had, at least arguably, the best players on the ice, but has found a way to lose. Nothing comforting about that. I favor turning the page on the coaching staff, but I would be interested to hear other solutions. Like every other team, Russia should be motivated only by Gold.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Larionov is officially taking over. As some of you might now I am not a fan. I don't want this man anywhere near russian hockey for what he represents. But he has some very big shoes to fill. Let's see what happens, but I am definitely less excited about russain U20 NT games from now on.

Ths also means Bragin is most certainly getting a job with seniors. Probably both SKA and NT even.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Larionov is officially taking over. As some of you might now I am not a fan. I don't want this man anywhere near russian hockey for what he represents. But he has some very big shoes to fill. Let's see what happens, but I am definitely less excited about russain U20 NT games from now on.

Ths also means Bragin is most certainly getting a job with seniors. Probably both SKA and NT even.

While I understand that it is a pretty likely scenario, "officially" is not exactly the right word here, at least yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad