Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2020

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I’m assuming Askarov is back in goal against USA?
Most probably. And it will be a defining game for his status. If he is brilliant, Bragin and Khabibulllin will have choices to make before every game. I tend to think though that Bragin will rely on the older Miftakhov now as the starter.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Who is doing powerplays coaching? Playing Khovanov and Denisenko on wrong sides almost all the time. They switched one, and the result was beautiful powerplay goal by Voronkov to 3:1.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Trip to the final. Hopefully they take the gold.

I think Miftakhov starts in the final. He has been the more consistent and steady guy. Askarov's time is next year.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Trip to the final. Hopefully they take the gold.

I think Miftakhov starts in the final. He has been the more consistent and steady guy. Askarov's time is next year.

Askarov's mechanics look broken. It's very strange.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
17-year-old on a big stage. Hopefully, this doesn't mess with his confidence.

If I remember correctly, Bob also didn't do so well during his WJC turn.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Team that was pretty much better team on ice in every game. Stupid penalties, low scoring on powerplay cost the final? May be too much defence focus after 3:1 lead?

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Early predictions for 2021 squad?

Podkolzin - Nikolayev - Sheshin
Groshev - Spiridonov - Amirov
Chinakhov - Guskov - Gritsyuk
Afanasyev - Ponomaryov - Abramov

Mukhamadullin - Nikishin
Rogov - Knyazev
Bychkov - Chistyakov
Chayka - Kuznetsov

Askarov
Zherenko
Skotnikov

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Team that was pretty much better team on ice in every game. Stupid penalties, low scoring on powerplay cost the final? May be too much defence focus after 3:1 lead?

How does a team this good lose three times? This is really confusing to me.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
This team had full potential to win the tournament. The boys lost to themselves in the end, which is a shame. The penalties and lack of discipline was the key factor for losing Gold. Hopefully some lessons will be learned. Gold is long overdue by now, hopefully the streak will end in 2021.

jimstark

May 22, 2014
That was a painful loss and a very very bad call from the ref when the puck hit the camera....i feel sorry for them they should have won this and been playing 6 on 3 at the end you but Russia would have scored.

This team is one of the best junior team i have seen from Russia in many years sometimes i felt i was looking at the NT team i was very impressed and still cant understand why they did not win and lost the 3-1 lead in the 3 periode. They was the better team for 50 min....its hard this days beeing av fan av Russia

But as Fantomas says here they lost 3 games so there are some errors here i dont know if the goalies did not live up to their standard?

As always i feel like Russia is their own enemy ( for this game i include the ref as well for the bad call)

Its just sad but they should be proud i think when they were on they was the best team playing almost like men.

Lifes go on now have to wait for this years WC see you then.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
That was a painful loss and a very very bad call from the ref when the puck hit the camera....i feel sorry for them they should have won this and been playing 6 on 3 at the end you but Russia would have scored.

This team is one of the best junior team i have seen from Russia in many years sometimes i felt i was looking at the NT team i was very impressed and still cant understand why they did not win and lost the 3-1 lead in the 3 periode. They was the better team for 50 min....its hard this days beeing av fan av Russia

But as Fantomas says here they lost 3 games so there are some errors here i dont know if the goalies did not live up to their standard?

As always i feel like Russia is their own enemy ( for this game i include the ref as well for the bad call)

Its just sad but they should be proud i think when they were on they was the best team playing almost like men.

Lifes go on now have to wait for this years WC see you then.
I agree that it was a talented Russian team, but it takes 60 minutes to win a game and they weren't the better team in the third period , which was the most important period of the tournament, a gold medal game. Missed call on the camera shot, but Russia takes two undisciplined penalties to nullify a power play and a chance to go up 6-4. In the end, they were not the better team!

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
Early predictions for 2021 squad?

Podkolzin - Nikolayev - Sheshin
Groshev - Spiridonov - Amirov
Chinakhov - Guskov - Gritsyuk
Afanasyev - Ponomaryov - Abramov

Mukhamadullin - Nikishin
Rogov - Knyazev
Bychkov - Chistyakov
Chayka - Kuznetsov

Askarov
Zherenko
Skotnikov
How talented is this team compared to this year`s? The number of rinks and players increase every year and in the long run it must mean more talents and more depth.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
How talented is this team compared to this year`s? The number of rinks and players increase every year and in the long run it must mean more talents and more depth.

Plenty of talent. Not everyone has broken out yet (we'll see next year) but it could be a loaded team.

Of course this is just an early guess, it might be very different.

Reactions: Botta

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
This year was the year to win Gold actually, it was the best junior Team Russia I've seen in a while. Teams from a few years back got to the finals on pure grit, these guys actually got there through skill. However, the discipline problems were a major letdown and cost this year's team the Gold medal. I sure hope someone will draw some conclusions and that this aspect of the game will be treated far more seriously come next year.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Askarov's mechanics look broken. It's very strange.

This might sound crazy, but I think they should check his eyes. He was repeatedly beaten by long shots through a maze of bodies, where he clearly was unable to track the puck. His reactions showed that he had no idea where the puck was. Size and lack of quickness are not his problems, he is cat-quick! True, its always hard to track the puck when you are screened, but the look on his face suggested that he had no idea where the puck was. Maybe he needs contact lenses.

Overall, what killed the team was the inability to kill penalties. One obvious antidote is to stop taking brain-dead penalties, but the other is better coaching. Against Canada, their deadliest weapon on the power play was No. 27, who was a left-handed shooter from the right side of the circle. Romanov could have prevented his goal by cheating to his right to take away his only scoring option, the right corner of the net. Romanov left it wide open, and No. 27 scored with a long-range wrist shot, which should never happen. Penalty killing killed Russia.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Looking at it now, I think we missed some of the classical Bragin's grinders this time, because the PK was pretty bad. Also we had quite some struggles at the PP, unnecessary penalties and face-offs, so if we look at it that way, silver is a very good result.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Looking at it now, I think we missed some of the classical Bragin's grinders this time, because the PK was pretty bad. Also we had quite some struggles at the PP, unnecessary penalties and face-offs, so if we look at it that way, silver is a very good result.

For me was PP looks like a bigger problem then PK. May be some special coach for those situations would be worth.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Recently there have been strong international results from Russian teams at different levels, so in a broader sense I'm pleased.

I would rather see strong teams win silvers, with positive growth and development across the board, than weaker teams clawing their way to golds.

This being said, I would be much happier if Russia was developing elite-level centermen and they're not.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I read that some serious money and investment has been put into Russian junior hockey in recent years. So maybe we are finally starting to see some results?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Slowly, it's getting better. This is the most talent Russia has had since mid-2000s.

It's tough to overcome a string of unproductive drafts.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Slowly, it's getting better. This is the most talent Russia has had since mid-2000s.

It's tough to overcome a string of unproductive drafts.
And they absolutely have to stop the flow of best junior players to North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->