Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2019

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
A just result. Both teams were again boring as f... We got more lucky.

What puzzles me is the level of play of the formerly praised Mr.Shafigullin. Invisible. Even if he was credited with that goal today on a deflection.

Kochetkov was solid aside from the goal that he should have prevented. VHL experience was obvious.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Apparently the final roster for the 4 Nations Tournament looks like this:

GK
Amir Miftakhov
Kirill Ustimenko

D
Danila Galenyuk
Makar Khabarov
Anton Malyshev
Ilya Morozov
Mark Pavlikov
Dmitriy Rodionychev
Igor Usmanov
Daniil Valitov

FW
Nikita Anokhovskiy
Grigoriy Denisenko
Pavel Dorofeyev
Semyon Kizimov
Lev Komissarov
Nikolai Kovalenko
Vitaliy Kravtsov
Kirill Marchenko
Ivan Morozov
Vasiliy Podkolzin
Mikhail Shalagin
Gleb Zaitsev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Injury troubles officially have begun: reportedly Anokhovskiy had to be carried away on a stretcher. No idea what happened, as I couldn't watch the game, but sounds bad, especially considering that the big WJC camp is just a month away.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Denisenko-Kravtsov-Kovalenko line dominated Czechs in a "Brazilian" run-and-gun game (especially comparing it to the CAN/RUS Series) after Kravtsov was moved to center as Anokhovskiy is out. I don't think it is an indicator that this line may have a WJC future though, more like a display of high-end skills of players on that line and relatively not very strong defensive opposition.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Denisenko-Kravtsov-Kovalenko line dominated Czechs in a "Brazilian" run-and-gun game (especially comparing it to the CAN/RUS Series) after Kravtsov was moved to center as Anokhovskiy is out. I don't think it is an indicator that this line may have a WJC future though, more like a display of high-end skills of players on that line and relatively not very strong defensive opposition.
That was a game with no D. Czech fans need to grow up too:laugh:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
That was a game with no D. Czech fans need to grow up too:laugh:

Well, fans will be fans.

I'm actually pretty dissapointed about no D game style, as I was hoping that someone on the 4 Nations part of the roster can step up, since the D on the CAN/RUS Series team doesn't impress me too much so far.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Extremely mixed feelings after watching the game Vs. Sweden, games with Babenko as a coach are so chaotic, that it is chaotic every time in a different way. So yeah, difficult to make any conclusions, but I'd say that out of the 4 Nations roster I'd like to see these guys in the main camp: Ustimenko, Denisenko, Kravtsov, Kovalenko, Morozov, Morozov and Malyshev... oh, and obviously, if Anokhovskiy is out for not that long then him too.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Extremely mixed feelings after watching the game Vs. Sweden, games with Babenko as a coach are so chaotic, that it is chaotic every time in a different way. So yeah, difficult to make any conclusions, but I'd say that out of the 4 Nations roster I'd like to see these guys in the main camp: Ustimenko, Denisenko, Kravtsov, Kovalenko, Morozov, Morozov and Malyshev... oh, and obviously, if Anokhovskiy is out for not that long then him too.

Really? That’s all?

This team has been more impressive then the one facing CHL imo. Other then the Shen line, no one is doing anything.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Really? That’s all?

This team has been more impressive then the one facing CHL imo. Other then the Shen line, no one is doing anything.

Well, giving a second thought to it, I might be too harsh to the 4 Nations roster and guys like Valitov and Galenyuk deserve benefit of doubt too - at least I can't remember anything bad from them and that is already good for our D. Hard to evaluate D guys with this kind of stream quality though.

About the CAN/RUS Series so far I more or less liked Shen's line, Nikolayev and Tsitsyura (don't know what happened to his faceoffs though) and also Slepets (excluding his defensive zone game). Also due to Anokhovskiy situation Lipanov can play as bad as he wants - he still will be invited to the camp. About the D so far I wasn't too dissapointed with Alexeyev, Samorukov, Zhuravlyov, Rubinchik... again, if not beeing too harsh, then maybe Kalabushkin, Baranov and Romanov too. Obviously, Tarasov is totally fine. Still there are some games remaining and some guys from the Q will have their chance too (obviously I mean Chekhovich and hoping for something decent from Khovanov too).

Last edited:

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
High probability Samorukov wears an A this year, what does everyone think the chances are of Toropchenko making the team? I'd like to say at least a 50/50.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
High probability Samorukov wears an A this year, what does everyone think the chances are of Toropchenko making the team? I'd like to say at least a 50/50.

So far he didn't show that he still has something to bring to the table, I'd say today is his last chance, since the competiton for winger roster spots is quite intense.

I like this idea.

It is kind of a two-sided situation: on one hand he clearly benefited from having more space at C, on the other he, for obvious reasons, had face-off issues and overall didn't exactly bring the two-way component that is expected from C (although he tried). So if we can put on his line someone, who will take face-offs for him and do the dirty work - why not.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Wasn't aware that Lipanov, Toropchenko and Prosvetov were available only for the game 1 Vs. OHL, probably at least for Toropchenko it means that his WJC chances are done.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wasn't aware that Lipanov, Toropchenko and Prosvetov were available only for the game 1 Vs. OHL, probably at least for Toropchenko it means that his WJC chances are done.

Lipanov can't even score at the junior level, what good is he either? All he had was one good junior A challenge years ago.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Lipanov can't even score at the junior level, what good is he either? All he had was one good junior A challenge years ago.

Lipanov is kind of enigmatic and inconsistent, hard to tell why. But I can't agree that he didn't have good tournaments, there were plenty of those - for example, a year ago people here actively wanted him on the WJC roster after a good CAN/RUS Series, before he failed in the final exhibition games and Sholokhov took his place.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I foresee a huge debate to put it mildly about the final WJC roster. I guess many won't like the omissions.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Interesting situation at goalie. Tarasov, Ustimenko and Kochetkov are all making strong cases.

I’m assuming that it’ll be those 3.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Agree that Kochetkov took the remaining WJC roster spot last night.

About our CHL-ers it's pretty complicated I think. Obviously Prosvetov and Toropchenko are out. As for Maksimov and Lipanov, they are deficit type of players (right-handed sniper and a center), so I won't be surprised if they are given another chance despite their weak performance.

Another question is what to do with Slepets: he is finally motivated to play some good hockey again, but we are so stacked at wings that I don't really understand where he could be a good fit.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Well, the Q guys are making their case.

Some really tough choices for this year, but it’s not a bad problem. There is definitely depth.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It’s safe to say the Q guys made a very good impression,

If Khavanov and Koltygin are on the roster, that would leave only one C spot (I’m assuming Shen has already clinched his spot).

I’m starting to think Lipanov might not make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad