Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2019

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Anyone attend this tournament?

I didn't, also wasn't able to watch the stream, but let's face it, this tournament usually has minimal impact on the WJC team (comparing, for example, to Sochi tournament). The only notable thing for me here is that Bragin sees Shen as a center and Yaremchuk as wing, although again, we don't even know if Bragin will stay after his contract expires in May.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
I saw some parts of stream. Against Finland team look very bad. Absolutely outplayed Czech Republic. With Slovaks there were better parts and worser ones. For me good players were Filin, Shashkov, Trishin, but I am no expert.

Reactions: Fantomas

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Black Sea Cup camp roster (26th-28th of May). Top draft guys are not there, as the draft combine will be held around the same time.

GK
Arseniy Akhmetov
Ivan Prosvetov
Shamil Shmakov
Daniil Tarasov
Kirill Ustimenko
Maksim Zhukov

D
Veniamin Baranov
Bogdan Denisevich
Yevgeniy Kalabushkin
Makar Khabarov
Oleg Kholodenin
Alexander Lyakhov
Ilya Morozov
Bulat Motygullin
Saveliy Olshanskiy
Mark Pavlikov
Semyon Perelyayev
Mark Rubinchik
Dmitriy Samorukov
Vadim Shepelev
Vladimir Sychushkin
Akim Trishin
Ivan Vasin
Artyom Volkov

FW
Yaroslav Alexeyev
Nikita Anokhovskiy
Mikhail Bitsadze
Ivan Chekhovich
Yegor Filin
Artyom Galimov
German Grachyov
Yevgeniy Kanitskiy
Pavel Koltygin
Klim Kostin
Nikolai Kovalenko
Alexei Lipanov
Denis Mikhnin
Ivan Muranov
Artyom Nikolayev
Daniil Ogirchuk
Alexander Oskin
Vladislav Rybakov
Bulat Shafigullin
Nikita Shashkov
Pavel Shen
Kirill Slepets
Stepan Starkov
Razat Timirov
Alexei Toropchenko
Vladislav Tsitsyura
Alexander Yaremchuk
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
After watching the BlackSea Cup games I can't say I'm too impressed.

• On the bright side, nobody really dissapointed and looks like there is quite some depth this year. But on another hand it like almost everyone were just rather decent and some times even mediocre. I mean, it's like 8 middle-six lines played there and no real first line. Of course, one can say that it is because Kravtsov isn't there, but still.
  • Second tournament in a row Shen-Shashkov connection is used as a first line core. At the start, Kostin was placed as the third guy, but it wasn't too successfull, so he was quickly replaced by Muranov. Maybe someone disagrees with me, but Muranov-Shen-Shashkov doesn't sound like a WJC first line at all.
  • Kostin wasn't exactly lights out, especially at the beginning of the tournament, I had an impression that he spent too much time trying to chaotically figure out what a trueъ captain and leader of the team should do, which resulted in him sitting in the box all the time. In the end he was placed back to his natural habitat with Bitsadze and Alexeyev and things got better, but again, 'decent', not too good.
  • Really impressed by the Anokhovskiy-Kovalenko connection, I think they got all the chances now to get to the WJC.
  • In terms of the goalie situation, to me it looked like Tarasov got a slight edge on everyone else with Ustimenko as a close second. Zhukov and Shmakov allowed some stuff they shouldn't have. Prosvetov didn't play though, apparently for some reason he joined the team at the last moment.
  • Roster was kind of weird this year. Ok, Kravtsov, Denisenko and Alexeyev are not available, but why no Galenyuk and Morozov and/or other 2000 borns? Kirill Maksimov also wasn't invited for some reason and it's not like we have a lot of right-handed guys there.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I wouldn't read to much into who wasn't invited. Often times these tournaments are used to evaluate the borderline or guys who have little shot.

I thought defense was very solid for both White and Red against Denmark and Swiss (not the strongest competition, but still). White D outplayed Red D by a significant margin in the final game.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
BTW, don't be surprised is Shamil Shmakov gets drafted. In ever draft there are "under the radar" guys who we don't expect to get drafted but do get picked. I think Shmakov (6'-6" goalie) has the sort of tools that NHL teams like.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I wouldn't read to much into who wasn't invited. Often times these tournaments are used to evaluate the borderline or guys who have little shot.

I thought defense was very solid for both White and Red against Denmark and Swiss (not the strongest competition, but still). White D outplayed Red D by a significant margin in the final game.

Well, in previous years basically all or almost all candidates were in Sochi. For example, if we take previous WJC roster, I think among healthy players at that time only Berdin wasn't there (although possibly he had some injury too, but it wasn't announced).

About the D, I liked Kalabushkin-Lyakhov pairing on the team White.

BTW, don't be surprised is Shamil Shmakov gets drafted. In ever draft there are "under the radar" guys who we don't expect to get drafted but do get picked. I think Shmakov (6'-6" goalie) has the sort of tools that NHL teams like.

I'm totally failing to make up my mind on Shmakov: on one hand he is really solid in the MHL regular season, on another he is awful in the play-offs and even here he managed to let in a pretty bad goal Vs. Denmark in just 20 minutes or so. Anyway, GK position depth is really nice this time.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Btw, Golubovich also mentioned that players were coming to the tournament in a surprisingly bad shape even for this time of the year.

Well, I think, it's understandable. Considering, camps KHL/VHL/MHL have, you don't need to be in a good shape at this time or even at the camp's start. It's not NA leagues, where you gotta be good from the camp's day one or risk to be thrown away.

SergeyRus

Jan 12, 2018
Stats from BlackSea Cup:
1 Lipanov (TBL, 3-rd Rd (# 76)) 6 (2G+4A)
2 Yaremchuk (undrafted) 5 (4G+1A)
3 Anokhovsky (undrafted) 5 (2G+3A)
4 Kostin (STL, 1-st Rd (#31)) 4 (3G+1A)
5 Kovalenko (2018 Draft eligible) 4 (2G+2A)
6 Nikolayev (undrafted) 4 (1G+3A)
7 Starkov (undrafted) 4 (1G+3A)
and 9 players with 3 points

Yaremchuk (5 points) - Lipanov (6 points) - Starkov (4 points) were first line for Russian Team (white). That line looked really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: cska78

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Hate to disagree with you, but I don’t see it.

Looked good to me in Sochi, also competition at LW is not that deep, don't see a lot of guys clearly ahead of him. Additionally, imo, he is one of those guys, who you can put basically on any line and still he will be contributing there.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Camp roster for the 4 Nations in Sweden:

GK
Ivan Prosvetov
Daniil Tarasov
Kirill Ustimenko

D
Veniamin Baranov
Yevgeniy Kalabushkin
Oleg Kholodenin
Alexander Lyakhov
Ilya Morozov
Semyon Perelyayev
Mark Rubinchik
Akim Trishin
Ivan Vasin
Artyom Volkov

FW
Yegor Filin
Artyom Galimov
Yevgeniy Kanitskiy
Vitaliy Kravtsov
Kirill Marchenko
Ivan Muranov
Artyom Nikolayev
Daniil Ogirchuk
Bulat Shafigullin
Nikita Shashkov
Pavel Shen
Stepan Starkov
Yevgeniy Tsaryuk
Vladislav Tsitsyura
Alexander Yaremchuk

More or less everyone is there except the Loko guys, as they are busy at the JCWC already.
Upd.: Ivan Morozov is absent though, which is strange, as he was playing at the Sochi Hockey Open. Additionally Galenyuk and Bitsadze are also not there, but I can see that they are not playing in the preseason games, so probably they are not healthy enough. Shmakov is also not invited, but it is understandable, as coaches need to look at Prosvetov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->