Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
S
Looks like Bogatov, Sholokhov, Kukshtel and Slepets didn't survive the final cuts for the Can/Rus Series.

About Svechnikov, Bragin told that if he will play at least 5 games until the camp, he will be invited.

Source on the cuts?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So arbitrary. Becoming sick of Bragin.

What exactly is arbitrary? If you mean the cuts, then the only surprise is Sholokhov, but it's not like he would be that important to the team (although I thought he could be a useful piano carrier). If you mean Svechnikov, I think it is related to the issue that the camp for NA-based guys starts a bit later than for Russia-based guys. Anyway, it's always good to remember that Bragin is just a human. ;)

S

Source on the cuts?

http://chlcanadarussia.ca/roster/8/60

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thanks. I get it the cuts will participate in the Balashikha games then and still can be considered WJC candidates.

Iirc, Last year only the ones who had already guaranteed the roster spot before the 4Nations went to the WJC from that roster. Not to mention that the 4Nations roster is a bit weird this year, imo (no Ustimenko or Tarasov and yes, say hi to Mr. Golubovich, I know everyone missed him).

5 games = arbitrary.

If Svechnikov recovers in time, I think he can get those 5 games easily anyway, Colts have pretty tight schedule in December.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thoughts after the first 2 games?

Did Alexeyev show enough to have a chance?

Very early, but while D was expected to be bad, it is still really bad, although it was clear that this tournament is basically for filtering out the worst ones. Looks like even one-legged Dronov, Syomin and hopefully Samorukov can be a noticeable improvements here. Or we need to write a lot of letters to Santa-Yzerman to get a Christmas present that would really help our D. :D

GK is worrisome: Sukhachyov looked shaky and even a bit sleepy in the game 1 and, although he will have some more chances, I'm still worried, as this season he doesn't look as sharp as he was last season. Berdin looked decent, but not perfect and I guess that next time we will see him will be at the last stage of the camp, as he is leaving back to his USHL team (there was a rumour that Zhukov might replace him though). And yes, I'm still frustrated that we won't try Tarasov and Ustimenko at the 4 Nations.

At FW there are Maltsev+Barman and everyone else.

P.s. Svechnikov's doctor promised that he will be back in max 4 weeks.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Thoughts after the first 2 games?

Did Alexeyev show enough to have a chance?

Right now this is a 2 forward team, Polodyan has shown flashes on that line, but thats it. Rasseiken stood out as especially disturbing, blew 2 excellent one timer - open net set ups in game 2 and missed a completely wide open net in game 1. I think he would have a hard time making a canadian jr. B squad let alone making any kind of all star team. Yes he's physical, but is lacking fundamental skills to even be playing in a game like this. Guys like Moseiyev and Romanov also have no business being anywhere near this team. Too much dead weight up front and to make matters worse, Kara is completely invisible.

On D, Minulin has been very good, Alexeyev has struggled at times. Not much else, I am even disappointed in Zaitsev. Someone said he may be similar to a Rykov - its not even close, Zaitsev doesnt have anywhere near the speed or puck skills as Rykov. Zaitsev is a ratty borderline physical type of player. Maltsev and Yelizarov looked better than the game 1 guys, not saying much. To sum up, lacking way too much in the skill department and there are certainly better options.

In net, please let us never see Sukachyov in the national team ever again. As I predicted, too small and acrobatic to play at this level. The elite shooters of the WHL having a field day with him, he was moving around the net like a rat running in a cage. Berdin much more calm and composed, came up huge in the 3rd when there was pressure, thats a big key. Goals that did go in were all power play and the PK unit has been dismal, almost worse than the PP. To date Berdin has still not played a single poor game at the national team level.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Right now this is a 2 forward team, Polodyan has shown flashes on that line, but thats it. Rasseiken stood out as especially disturbing, blew 2 excellent one timer - open net set ups in game 2 and missed a completely wide open net in game 1. I think he would have a hard time making a canadian jr. B squad let alone making any kind of all star team. Yes he's physical, but is lacking fundamental skills to even be playing in a game like this. Guys like Moseiyev and Romanov also have no business being anywhere near this team. Too much dead weight up front and to make matters worse, Kara is completely invisible.

On D, Minulin has been very good, Alexeyev has struggled at times. Not much else, I am even disappointed in Zaitsev. Someone said he may be similar to a Rykov - its not even close, Zaitsev doesnt have anywhere near the speed or puck skills as Rykov. Zaitsev is a ratty borderline physical type of player. Maltsev and Yelizarov looked better than the game 1 guys, not saying much. To sum up, lacking way too much in the skill department and there are certainly better options.

In net, please let us never see Sukachyov in the national team ever again. As I predicted, too small and acrobatic to play at this level. The elite shooters of the WHL having a field day with him, he was moving around the net like a rat running in a cage. Berdin much more calm and composed, came up huge in the 3rd when there was pressure, thats a big key. Goals that did go in were all power play and the PK unit has been dismal, almost worse than the PP. To date Berdin has still not played a single poor game at the national team level.
Agree except for the Minulin part. What did he do to earn that praise?

Oh yeah he ruined a glorious 3 on 1 that became 3 on 2 odd man rush because he decided to shoot it right into the chest of a well prepped goalie instead of choosing one of the two passing options. He wasn't better than other players on that though. Lack of vision is frustrating.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It doesn't sound like many are impressing at 4 Nation either.
Don't jump to quick conclusions. There are underagers there and tgey won the 2nd game.

Also the OHL additions did look like huge improvement in the canadian series.

I'd say it looks like the 2nd row is really weak this year while there is actually good enough talent for the top roster.

Also the previously unheard case of having a defenceman out in the NHL...

"On paper" roster would look pretty good with a look at their chances of making the big National Team in the future.

Still to few and too weak centers. I start wondering what is going on in schools. Somebody tell the kids and their stupid parents that center is the most valuable position in today's hockey. Encouraging and teaching kids to become flashy goal scoring wingers is pretty one sided.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It happened last year also with Provorov.

I won't complain at all if this keeps on happening every season.

Did anyone specifically impress at 4-Nations? Shvyryov?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think Koltygin would be a decent third or fourth line center. Good on faceoffs, good with the body.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
How is it Chekhovich didn’t even get an invite to play in the U20 games against the QMJHL? Is he not considered a top Russian prospect? He had 9 points at the U18 earlier this year I believe…

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
How is it Chekhovich didn’t even get an invite to play in the U20 games against the QMJHL? Is he not considered a top Russian prospect? He had 9 points at the U18 earlier this year I believe…

His position is fairly deep.

And no, I don't think many consider him to be among top Russian prospects.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Still to few and too weak centers. I start wondering what is going on in schools. Somebody tell the kids and their stupid parents that center is the most valuable position in today's hockey. Encouraging and teaching kids to become flashy goal scoring wingers is pretty one sided.

...or they make the idiotic move to NA too early...
Look at what are doing now German "I'm too cool for the KHL" Rubtsov or Klim "Mister AHL" Kostin...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
After 4 games of the Canada-Russia series, despite the fact that Russia outplayed the OHL in both games (opinion), the same old defensive issues beset the Russian team, and probably make winning a medal higher than Bronze unrealistic. Its impossible to win when you allow the opposition to control the puck within 20 feet of your goal for most of the game.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Not sure if Sukachev was injured or Bragin just had enough, I would say 3 of those goals were soft. The one PP goal from the half boards almost identical to the one he let in in game 1 - no screen was just beat clean. I think its safe to say that even Bragin is convinced its going to be Melnichuk/Berdin - barring some drastic events in the next 2 games. Im satisfied with that combo as long as the D is solid.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Tough loss. But the OHLers certainly made a positive impression.

Sokolov was good at both ends of the rink.

BTW what do you guys think of Manyukan with the long stick. To me, it makes no sense to use a long stick unless your a defenseman. From a forwards prospective, even tall guys should be using smaller sticks to get better control in tight spaces. Its hard to watch out there, I think he would be a much more effective player with a foot taken off that stick.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Story tonight nothing new - Abramov disappointing, Kara remains invisible for the entire series, Bragin cant coach a PP, Melnichyuk solid. Surprisingly the D was very solid tonight, reduced the Q to under 25 shots, both goals were scored against on the PP, last goal ref can be blamed 100%

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Before this series, Maltsev and Abramov seemed like guys who had a good chance to make the WJC team. Maltsev showed the ability to score in the first couple of games, but his performance in the last 2 games was dismal, and Bragin was furious last night when, with the goal net empty, instead of trying to rush up the ice to get the puck into the offensive zone for a shot on goal, he makes a lazy back pass on to the stick of a Canadian forechecker, who promptly deposited the puck in the net to put Russia out of its misery. That image will last with Bragin!

Unless Abramov has the best game of his life in Game 6, he is probably out as well. He is another shrimp who handles the puck well but is no threat at all unless he can get a breakaway or a 2-on-1 rush. He is no help at all in traffic in front of the net. With Alty and Manny already filling the role of small playmakers, Bragin will need to have bigger and more physical forwards to handle the load against Canada, the US, and Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad