Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
According to you who are the Fowards most likely to be cut off this week?

If we are making an assumption that Abramov plays at RW-only like he has done for NT before (which is not the safest assumption, as he has played mostly at C in the Q this season) then I'd say it's Kravtsov, one of Kayumov/Manukyan/Veryayev (likely Veryayev) and one of Svechnikov/Sokolov.

I'd prefer to fit into the line-up both Sokolov and Svechnikov and cut Manukyan, but I don't think it is a likely scenario.

But if Bragin thinks that Abramov can play center at least in case of emergency, I'd say there are a lot of possibilities, like cutting Sholokhov or Lipanov or even Ivanov.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
And just as I made those smart predictions, Bragin tries Sokolov at LW and separates Kayumov from Ivanov:

Altybarmakyan-Maltsev-Polodyan
Sokolov-Rubtsov-Abramov
Manukyan-Sholokhov-Kayumov
Veryayev-Ivanov-Kravtsov
Kostin-Lipanov-Svechnikov

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Boy if I were able to read Bragin's mind... I'd be just as poor as I am now because there would be absolutely no money in it.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I have very low expectations going into this WJC. Lowest in many years. So if they surprise me I'll be happy, but mostly I'm just hoping to see an entertaining, skilled, hard working group.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
There may be enough offensive talent there to do well, provided that they don't commit suicide in the defensive zone. I keep waiting for the unveiling of a "quick exit" strategy - removing the puck from the defensive zone as quickly as possible and allowing the quick forwards to forecheck in the neutral zone and the offensive zone. I keep waiting for an abandonment of the strategy of allowing the opponent to carry the puck into the D zone under control, while collapsing into a shell around the goal. Against bigger and tougher teams who can muscle in close to the goaltender, that strategy is so self-defeating, and yet they just keep on using it. The performance of the D will tell the tale as to whether this team medals.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Didn't see the game Vs Denmark, but heard that Melnichuk was pretty bad there, so looks like it's up for Berdin to take the starter's role now.
Melnichuk's two GA pictured below. You can click on the gfycat logo to enlarge the clips as I sized them small here.

Reactions: Caser

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Melnichuk's two SO GA pictured below. He did save three SO attempts not pictured. Meanwhile, I thought the missed Russian attempts were rather poor.

Reactions: Caser

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Just watched the yt feed for last exhibition game Vs Slovakia, some quick thoughts:

Goalies were solid: Berdin was confident, especially at the handling the puck, couldn't blame him for the goals too and Sukhachyov was the good ol' Sukhachyov I used to know - just stopped everything today including all of those 5 SO attempts. I'd go with them as #1 and #2.

D was a bit shaky, but not so bad after all. Samorukov was a bit error prone at defensive end, but contributed at the attack. Syomin played physical game of a very good quality, but still got an unnecessary penalty and also lost the battle at the second goal.

Maltsev's line was dynamic as always, couldn't produce though.

Rubtsov's line isn't hopeless, but still makes me wish for more: Abramov is playing too fancy, Sokolov doesn't look to be too comfortable at LW at all and Rubtsov got the goal on an individual effort, but didn't always remember that he is the most defensively gifted guy there.

Lipanov's line was not as good as I'd hope: Svechnikov can generate at the attack, got the goal, but the defensive game totally doesn't look to be there; Manukyan was good and hard working, got a nice assist on Svechnikov's goal, but you can still feel that he lacks that size for the small rinks. Lipanov looked lost, imo.

4th line was interesting: Kayumov was possibly the best player out there, extremely dangerous and dynamic. Kostin wasn't too good, but not exactly bad. Sholokhov is hard working and mobile, but again the size here is lacking. Ivanov replaced Sholokhov for the third period and I really liked him there in those few shifts, I'll be very dissapointed if he gets cut in the end, also because he is one of the rare guys out there who can park his big arsenal in front of the net.

Totally didn't like the PP, no proper thoughts and ideas out there.

So yeah, about the cuts, I guess 4 are almost certainly known, as they didn't play today (Alexeyev, Shepelev, Veryaev and Kravtsov), hard to tell who will be the fifth. Ivanov would be the obvious candidate as he was on the fifth line today, but he was very good in those limited shifts, also scored on the last game, so I kind of won't understand if Bragin will get rid of him especially considering that Sholokhov and Lipanov aren't looking exactly great.

Edit: Bragin told that 2 or 3 positions are undecided yet, so Alexeyev, Shepelev, Veryaev and Kravtsov might still have some hope.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Can we go with Ivanov and Sholokhov as our 3rd and 4th centers? I think I agree with Lipanov isn't cutting the mustard.

Maybe there is a good reason for it, but I remain mystified by the decision to leave off Shvyrev.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Barrie Colts have already tweeted that Lipanov and Svechnikov made the team. So it seems they were informed.

Correction: misinformed.

Seems Barrie just sort of assumed that Lipanov made it. Which makes sense because why would Bragin tell them before the media.

Last edited:

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
I don't understand Bragin, a guy like lipanov would have been much more useful than a guy like sokolov

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't understand Bragin, a guy like lipanov would have been much more useful than a guy like sokolov

If Lipanov would be good Vs Slovakia then quite possibly - we could move Sholokhov or Ivanov to wing and cut Sokolov, but unfortunately Lipanov wasn't exactly worth it at this point. I didn't like Sokolov (especially at LW), but I hope at least we can use him as a dangerous weapon on the PP.

Reactions: JayZIH

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
I am just a fan of russian hockey player not a Russian. I saw Kravtsov at some KHL games and he look solid on that level. What was his big problem to make the team?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
giphy.gif

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't even know what to say... were coaches on holidays all that time?

Melnichuk over Berdin and/or Sukhachyov?
Svechnikov on the PK?
Knyzhov on the PP?
Special teams?
Maybe some line changes after they didn't look great Vs Slovakia?
If you want to shoot the puck from the blue line all the time on the PP, maybe send Syomin there and Ivanov for some screen a bit earlier than last moment?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You guys need some more right hand shots, too late for that now but at least put Sokolov on his proper wing.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
That was pretty bad game from Russia. Mistakes at own zone, zero improvisation at offense( for example static powerplay´s system), low speed, not good goalkeeping. What is wrong with this team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->