Russia National Team discussion thread

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think your attitude is more annoying. What ui I start complaining about english nicknames and shorts? Would be absurd.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
With emotions cooled down a bit, I can say I'm not impressed by Vorobyov at all.

At the attack only the first line showed any chemistry, everyone else were more like a bunch of individuals (some of them occasionally succeeded though). Buchnevich is the biggest disappointment - just invisible, while I expected him to be one of the guys responsible for secondary scoring. Shalunov screwed up everything he could (no disappointment here though, as it's not like it would be a huge surprise), but if he got deservingly demoted to a 13th FW role, then what is Grigorenko doing on the 2nd line all the time is something what I can't understand - bad decisions both at defense and attack, soft when it comes to physical plays... at the same time Barabanov was on the 4th line most of the time. Speaking about Barabanov, obviously he is the biggest positive surprise (ok, Mikheyev was fine too), but again, so often he was just going solo with no one to support him. And yes, returning to the first line, Canadian coaches quickly noticed that it is a bit too lightweight, so when they applied some extra physicality there, chemistry quickly got noticeably worse.

Defense actually wasn't that bad: I mean, Gavrikov and Kiselevich were very solid and Zaitsev also got his game going in the end and you couldn't really expect anything good from everyone else. Maybe the only exception here would be Tryamkin, he wasn't too good, but I still think he was benched too quickly there.

GK situation is just absurd: at the beginning of the tournament they are clearly showing that Koshechkin is the starter and in the decisive game they are putting rusty Shestyorkin in the net. L - logic.

Roster decisions were also rather strange: ok, I can understand that you couldn't predict that Buchnevich would be so disappointing and probably even Grigorenko (but not on the 2nd line!!), but what was Shalunov doing there, I can't believe Byvaltsev or Tkachev would be worse. Additionally I don't like the idea of inviting borderline NHLers like Soshnikov and Mamin, not like they would be bad, but I think that here we should invite only established NHLers... ok, that's just a personal opinion.

P.S. journalists are defending Vorobyov, but I think that is mostly because finally they got a coach that doesn't tell them at the press conference who they really are. :sarcasm:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It was a dumb decision to call Buchnevich to this tournament. He had his confidence destroyed in the second half of the season by Vigneault whose disliked him for two years almost certainly due to his nationality. After the new year his play wasn't the same because he was getting moved around to all sorts of different roles. He could never find any rhythm. He said as much in interviews. He needs a full off-season to regroup and get his confidence back under the new coach. Vorobyov used fatigue as the reason to not call in Tkachyov, but didn't seem to realize Buchnevich wasn't mentally in form for this tournament.

Is there someone in the Russian federation who watches these players NHL matches? I get its the middle of the night in Russia, but its kind of their job to know the form of their NHL players. The drop in form should've been obvious, if they just watched his form in the first half of the season and the second half. He was never in mental shape to play at this tournament, and I think the criticism needs to go more to the decision makers to include him than him. He was a rookie to the National Team. Not like he's going to turn down a spot.

Last edited:

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Tryamkin, he wasn't too good, but I still think he was benched too quickly there.

He doesn't need time or second chances: won't play for SKA.

GK situation is just absurd: at the beginning of the tournament they are clearly showing that Koshechkin is the starter and in the decisive game they are putting rusty Shestyorkin in the net. L - logic.

Even too logic: SKA goalie needed to gather experience

Roster decisions were also rather strange: ok, I can understand that you couldn't predict that Buchnevich would be so disappointing and probably even Grigorenko (but not on the 2nd line!!), but what was Shalunov doing there, I can't believe Byvaltsev or Tkachev would be worse. Additionally I don't like the idea of inviting borderline NHLers like Soshnikov and Mamin, not like they would be bad, but I think that here we should invite only established NHLers... ok, that's just a personal opinion.

Need to scout players for SKA (Soshnikov) and to get to play CSKA players. Nothing to be surprised about. Tkachev doesn't play for the right team.

P.S. journalists are defending Vorobyov, but I think that is mostly because finally they got a coach that doesn't tell them at the press conference who they really are. :sarcasm:
With all this being said, I think you're trashing Vorobyov too fast. It was his first experience and got to coach the national team like two weeks before a WC. Didn't do too bad IMHO. I just hope that he won't coach SKA.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Is there someone in the Russian federation who watches these players NHL matches? I get its the middle of the night in Russia, but its kind of their job to know the form of their NHL players.

Unfortunately in Russia there is a big role played by the trashy mentality that everything that is Russian sucks and if it's from Germany or America then it's 100 times better, thus the free pass for NHL "stars" like Mamin or Soshnikov. And this without even considering C/SKA's needs.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He doesn't need time or second chances: won't play for SKA.

Even too logic: SKA goalie needed to gather experience

Need to scout players for SKA (Soshnikov) and to get to play CSKA players. Nothing to be surprised about. Tkachev doesn't play for the right team.

With all this being said, I think you're trashing Vorobyov too fast. It was his first experience and got to coach the national team like two weeks before a WC. Didn't do too bad IMHO. I just hope that he won't coach SKA.

About Shestyorkin, I'm all for giving him experience, but then give him 5 group stage starts, not Koshechkin.

About Vorobyov, I might be a bit spoiled here as all of the previous coaches were doing pretty good on their NT starts, but for me the issue is that I didn't see any thought in our game (yes, even with Znarok and Bill I saw it) and it is a bit depressing.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It was a dumb decision to call Buchnevich to this tournament. He had his confidence destroyed in the second half of the season by Vigneault whose disliked him for two years almost certainly due to his nationality. After the new year his play wasn't the same because he was getting moved around to all sorts of different roles. He could never find any rhythm. He said as much in interviews. He needs a full off-season to regroup and get his confidence back under the new coach. Vorobyov used fatigue as the reason to not call in Tkachyov, but didn't seem to realize Buchnevich wasn't mentally in form for this tournament.

Is there someone in the Russian federation who watches these players NHL matches? I get its the middle of the night in Russia, but its kind of their job to know the form of their NHL players. The drop in form should've been obvious, if they just watched his form in the first half of the season and the second half. He was never in mental shape to play at this tournament, and I think the criticism needs to go more to the decision makers to include him than him. He was a rookie to the National Team. Not like he's going to turn down a spot.
With the depleted roster Buchnevich was a lock. Nobody expected him to carry the team though. All good. He gathers experience.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
B-team roster for the Sochi Hockey Open (3rd-8th of August):

GK
Alexei Krasikov
Alexei Melnichuk
Igor Shestyorkin
Ilya Yezhov

D
Nikolai Demidov
Nikita Lyamkin
Andrei Mironov
Ziyat Paigin
Roman Rukavishnikov
Yegor Rykov
Vladislav Syomin
Alexander Yelesin
Andrei Yermakov

FW
Denis Alexeyev
Andrei Altybarmakyan
Vladimir Bryukvin
Andrei Chibisov
Grigoriy Denisenko
Artyom Ilyenko
Vitaliy Kravtsov
Andrei Kuzmenko
Mikhail Maltsev
Kirill Marchenko
Ivan Morozov
Andrei Svetlakov
Vladimir Tkachyov (1995 born)
Daniil Vovchenko
Denis Zernov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
B-team roster for the Sochi Hockey Open (3rd-8th of August):

GK
Alexei Krasikov
Alexei Melnichuk
Igor Shestyorkin
Ilya Yezhov

D
Nikolai Demidov
Nikita Lyamkin
Andrei Mironov
Ziyat Paigin
Roman Rukavishnikov
Yegor Rykov
Vladislav Syomin
Alexander Yelesin
Andrei Yermakov
FW
Denis Alexeyev
Andrei Altybarmakyan
Vladimir Bryukvin
Andrei Chibisov
Grigoriy Denisenko
Artyom Ilyenko
Vitaliy Kravtsov
Andrei Kuzmenko
Mikhail Maltsev
Kirill Marchenko
Ivan Morozov
Andrei Svetlakov
Daniil Vovchenko
Denis Zernov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'd like to see the kind of rosters sent to the WHC. Then add some NHLers. Much better to let those guys play than the usual suspects.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Karjala Cup (8th-11th of November) roster:

GK
Ilya Konovalov
Igor Shestyorkin
Ilya Sorokin

D
Viktor Antipin
Denis Barantsev
Artyom Blazhiyevskiy
Nikita Nesterov
Andrei Pedan
Nikita Tryamkin
Alexei Vasilevskiy
Alexander Yelesin
Artyom Zub
FW
Alexander Barabanov
Alexei Byvaltsev
Alexander Dergachyov
Anatoliy Golyshev
Mikhail Grigorenko
Alexander Kadeikin
Kirill Kaprizov
Yevgeniy Ketov
Pyotr Khokhryakov
Andrei Kuzmenko
Andrei Loktionov
Ilya Mikheyev
Maxim Shalunov
Ivan Telegin
Denis Zernov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Karjala Cup (8th-11th of November) roster:

GK
Ilya Konovalov
Igor Shestyorkin
Ilya Sorokin

D
Viktor Antipin
Denis Barantsev
Artyom Blazhiyevskiy
Nikita Nesterov
Andrei Pedan
Nikita Tryamkin
Alexei Vasilevskiy
Alexander Yelesin
Artyom Zub
FW
Alexander Barabanov
Alexei Byvaltsev
Alexander Dergachyov
Anatoliy Golyshev
Mikhail Grigorenko
Alexander Kadeikin
Kirill Kaprizov
Yevgeniy Ketov
Pyotr Khokhryakov
Andrei Kuzmenko
Andrei Loktionov
Ilya Mikheyev
Maxim Shalunov
Ivan Telegin
Denis Zernov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Good to see Konovalov.

Pedan and Vasilevsky are big question marks.

Dergachyov and Ketov probably getting a SKA free pass.

Otherwise an experimental thing that is altogether. Can't have younglings there too.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
B-team roster for the Deutschland Cup (8th-11th of November):

GK
Ivan Bocharov
Vasiliy Demchenko
Nikita Serebryakov

D
Roman Abrosimov
Nikolai Demidov
Igor Isayev
Rushan Rafikov
Roman Rukavishnikov
Damir Sharipzyanov
Andrei Yermakov
Dmitriy Yudin
Artyom Zemchyonok

FW
Denis Alexeyev
Andrei Chibisov
Daniil Ilyin
Artur Kayumov
Maxim Kazakov
Alexei Kruchinin
Artyom Manukyan
Nikita Mikhailov
Konstantin Okulov
Pavel Padakin
Nikolai Prokhorkin
Kirill Semyonov
Andrei Svetlakov

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Roster for the Channel One Cup (13th-16th of December).

GK
Igor Bobkov
Igor Shestyorkin
Ilya Sorokin

D
Viktor Antipin
Artyom Blazhiyevskiy
Vladislav Gavrikov
Mikhail Naumenkov
Nikita Nesterov
Andrei Pedan
Vasiliy Tokranov
Alexei Vasilevskiy
Alexander Yelesin

FW
Sergei Andronov
Alexander Barabanov
Anton Burdasov
Pavel Datsyuk
Mikhail Grigorenko
Nikita Gusev
Ilya Kablukov
Alexander Kadeikin
Kirill Kaprizov
Yevgeniy Ketov
Andrei Kuzmenko
Andrei Loktionov
Sergei Plotnikov
Nikolai Prokhorkin
Maxim Shalunov
Anton Slepyshev
Ivan Telegin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Nice performance by KHL guys. I still think Russia has the best non-NHL talent, even with several guys going to NA.

Gavrikov thinks that he is a sniper all of a sudden. :)

Good performance by the defense. And it kind of raises a question of whether or not a best possible Team Russia D would be all NHL guys. Most of us seem to think so.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Roster for Swedish Hockey Games.

Goalkeepers: Ilya Konovalov (Lokomotiv Yaroslavl), Igor Bobkov (Avangard), Pyotr Kochetkov (HC Sochi).

Defensemen: Zakhar Arzamastsev (Salavat Yulaev), Artyom Zub (SKA Saint Petersburg), Viktor Antipin, Alexei Bereglazov (both Metallurg Magnitogorsk), Andrei Mironov (Dynamo Moscow), Alexei Vasilevskiy (Avtomobilist), Rushan Rafikov, Alexander Elesin (both Lokomotiv Yaroslavl), Andrei Pedan (Ak Bars Kazan), Nikolai Demidov (Sibir Novosibirsk).

Forwards: Dmitry Kagarlitsky, Vadim Shipachyov (both Dynamo Moscow), Anatoly Nikontsev (Spartak Moscow), Sergei Shumakov, Denis Zernov, Ilya Mikheev (all Avangard), Andrei Kuzmenko, Alexei Kruchinin (both SKA Saint Petersburg), Andrei Svetlakov, Konstantin Okulov (both CSKA Moscow), Alexander Kadeikin, Anton Burdasov (both Salavat Yulaev), Grigory Denisenko, Denis Alexeev, Kirill Slepets (all Lokomotiv Yaroslavl).

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Roster for Swedish Hockey Games.

Goalkeepers: Ilya Konovalov (Lokomotiv Yaroslavl), Igor Bobkov (Avangard), Pyotr Kochetkov (HC Sochi).

Defensemen: Zakhar Arzamastsev (Salavat Yulaev), Artyom Zub (SKA Saint Petersburg), Viktor Antipin, Alexei Bereglazov (both Metallurg Magnitogorsk), Andrei Mironov (Dynamo Moscow), Alexei Vasilevskiy (Avtomobilist), Rushan Rafikov, Alexander Elesin (both Lokomotiv Yaroslavl), Andrei Pedan (Ak Bars Kazan), Nikolai Demidov (Sibir Novosibirsk).

Forwards: Dmitry Kagarlitsky, Vadim Shipachyov (both Dynamo Moscow), Anatoly Nikontsev (Spartak Moscow), Sergei Shumakov, Denis Zernov, Ilya Mikheev (all Avangard), Andrei Kuzmenko, Alexei Kruchinin (both SKA Saint Petersburg), Andrei Svetlakov, Konstantin Okulov (both CSKA Moscow), Alexander Kadeikin, Anton Burdasov (both Salavat Yulaev), Grigory Denisenko, Denis Alexeev, Kirill Slepets (all Lokomotiv Yaroslavl).
This is a great great roster. If only it wasn't only to relieve the C/SKA stars before the playoffs... sigh...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->