Russia National Team discussion thread

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Tkachyov was one of the best Russian players in the WC last year. He was dangerous every time he was on the ice. Brilliant stick handler who isn't afraid to get his nose dirty in front of the goal, which is very valuable against NA teams. The biggest source of pessimism for me is that Znarok is the coach. I can't think of a single instance in which he has done a credible job. His most successful season was 2014, when he was banned from the bench for the final. Somehow, his absence made Russia all the better for it. I think it validates the old adage, "if you look like an idiot, you must be an idiot!"

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Znarok isn't a terrible coach, but he is at his best when he has blue collar guys that can play anti hockey.

He just isn't a good fit for Russia, which always relies on skill.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So since the KHL is dragging its feet on its commitment to the Olympics, can someone explain what this is all about? And if there is some sort of negotiation taking place what is the KHL negotiating for?

That's in reference to this:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
So since the KHL is dragging its feet on its commitment to the Olympics, can someone explain what this is all about? And if there is some sort of negotiation taking place what is the KHL negotiating for?

That's in reference to this:

I read something in the media about Chernyshenko holding out the threat of cancelling KHL participation if the IOC pulled something like they did with the Women's team, banning 6 players for drug infractions, and causing the Women's team to decide against competing. What I read suggested that if the IOC did something similar to the men (e.g., suddenly announcing that Datsyuk, Kovalchuk,etc. are disqualified for drug violations) that the KHL would cancel the month break in schedule for the Olympics and order everyone to report to their teams. The NHL is boycotting the Olympics, so this would not be unprecedented.

Reactions: Fantomas

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I read something in the media about Chernyshenko holding out the threat of cancelling KHL participation if the IOC pulled something like they did with the Women's team, banning 6 players for drug infractions, and causing the Women's team to decide against competing. What I read suggested that if the IOC did something similar to the men (e.g., suddenly announcing that Datsyuk, Kovalchuk,etc. are disqualified for drug violations) that the KHL would cancel the month break in schedule for the Olympics and order everyone to report to their teams. The NHL is boycotting the Olympics, so this would not be unprecedented.
Would be the best thing to happen at this point. We, the fans, don't need those events. The IOC and IIHF need them now. Hockey is not foorball. Losing one of rhe big 6 renders the event questionable at best.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
People say they will win gold but I will believe it when I see it. The IIHF had a US ref in a US vs. Russian game that took away the winning goal at a home Olympics in Russia. So I am not too confident of Russia being allowed to win gold.

Then politically uninviting some players 2 weeks before the games further hurts the roster.

I would also like to see players from more teams. I feel this is the mistake Leonid Slutsky made in football Euros a couple years back where he took so many of his CSKA players. They should have just put Tryamkin and Tkachev on the main roster. And Golyshev or something.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
People say they will win gold but I will believe it when I see it. The IIHF had a US ref in a US vs. Russian game that took away the winning goal at a home Olympics in Russia. So I am not too confident of Russia being allowed to win gold.

Then politically uninviting some players 2 weeks before the games further hurts the roster.

I would also like to see players from more teams. I feel this is the mistake Leonid ****sky made in football Euros a couple years back where he took so many of his CSKA players. They should have just put Tryamkin and Tkachev on the main roster. And Golyshev or something.
Oh, just wait till they find heroine in every russian player's urine after they win gold. I have no idea why we're going. But Znarok's roster made it much easier for me. Not going to watch this travesty anyway.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
So this team should win, as it has the better pro players vs the field.
If they win, it officially doesn't count under Russia/Soviet Union all time Olympic titles?? or does it?
They won a gold under the CIS title back in the 90's.
Also, confusing, as I thought Russia was banned from playing due to doping, not specific to the Russian hockey players, but will they be tested by IOC doping ??

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
Who cares what it counts as. Everyone knows they are Russians regardless of the political games played.

They are tested all the time and almost every one of the people they have attacked in all this never failed a doping test. Not before the Sochi Olympics, not during, not after.

The last 3 years their domestic doping tests have been done by the UK. These tests have been 99.3% clean. So they are the most vetted athletes there is, plus they aren't allowed to abuse the TUES (approval for using banned items) system like Western athletes.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
As I have said before, the Russians could have a) boycotted, b) announced they would play under protest, c) pre-announced a future boycott. Preferably (IMO) a combination of b) and c).

Instead they went to the courts and struck out with their appeals: Pyeongchang 2018 set to begin with Opening Ceremony

What is darkly funny about Russia's appeal is that the CAS ruled that the IOC could not be overruled because it was in charge of putting the team together (due to the suspension of the Russian Olympic committee). In other words, the Russians acquiesced and paid for it.

Also see:

Last edited:

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
On my Instagram I made a good post about all this. The IOC and WADA are just destroying themself to do this political attack. Banning exonerated athletes and athletes never even charged with anything is just passing the smell test of Russophobes out for blood lust. For anyone sensible it stinks.

The saving grace now is they hopefully get gold in womens skating and mens hockey, the two most marquee things. Other than that its a completely waste of a games because all the top medal contenders were politically uninvited.

I have gone back and forth on how to have responded in this games. The elite wants Russia to take these provocations and back away so they can push fake news about being isolated. Showing up, let these idiots get their jollies saying OAR and winning politically tainted medals isn't going to give the satisfaction they think it will.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
[Mod] There is absolutely no basis to bar people like Viktor Ahn, Shipulin, Yustugov, etc. These people have never been charged with anything.

Theres two groups of athletes they are excluding.

A) The athletes recently exonerated of doping at Sochi by CAS. Whether the IOC likes or not these athletes have had their Olympic ban overturned.

B) Athletes the IOC randomly decided 2 weeks before the games to un-invite with no allegation, no charge. The IOC even says their non inviting is not an accusation. They have never been charged with anything and theres no question they are clean.

Also as I have said over and over and over they are the most vetted athletes in the world. They haven't even controlled their internal testing for 3 years and these tests have been 99.3% clean

After all this BS when its all said and done Russia is only going to lose 4 medals, on super flimsy evidence. And this could be further reduced to only 2 as hearings on two medal winners didn't happen yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Russia just needs to win the hockey gold medal and get the hell out for a while. This is what I would do.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russia has been banned, not individual athletes (other than for regular violations).
Athletes are not allowed to participate under the russian flag. That is allowing them what? It is an insult to a nation and racism.

Banning a country is plain nazi.

There you go. The truth as it is. Deal with it.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yakovlev replaces Khafizullin on the roster, Koshechkin will be the starter.

P.s. just a friendly reminder that off-topic (especially political one) discussion is not welcome due to forum rules. While I totally understand that this year the whole situation is, let's say, kind of complicated (yeah, I wanted to use another word), those rules are still there.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I hope Rodchenkov enjoyed this final in his roach-infested bungalow in Godforsaken, Indiana.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
btw, I've read that Yeryomenko should've been on the roster too, but also wasn't invited by the IOC.

So the main question now is if Znarok wants to stay or not. If not, apparently it will be Ilya Vorobyov, hard to tell if that's an improvement or not though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad