Russia National Team discussion thread

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Shipachyov soon. Hopefully more Russian players take a cue from what happened to him and stay home.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I'm not against top Russian players going to NHL, I actually think players that never played in NHL are in disadvantage.

CHL on the other hand...

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm not against top Russian players going to NHL, I actually think players that never played in NHL are in disadvantage.

CHL on the other hand...

And yet Russia-based players routinely outperform NHL-based Russians in international tournaments.

I think it is becoming more and more clear that unless you are elite, a la Kucherov, you should think about staying home unless you want to be jerked around in a foreign country. I understand that players are curious and want to experience America, but America is becoming a depressing and increasingly anti-Russian dump.

Can you imagine actually living in Nevada? The horror. The Shipachyovs should be overjoyed to leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas2000

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Are Kovalchuk and Datsyuk injured?

It would also have been interesting to see Khokhlov and Vasiliev.
Dats is on the IR. Kovalchuk is just being rested. He will probably be on the Channel One Cup roster.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
And yet Russia-based players routinely outperform NHL-based Russians in international tournaments.

I think it is becoming more and more clear that unless you are elite, a la Kucherov, you should think about staying home unless you want to be jerked around in a foreign country. I understand that players are curious and want to experience America, but America is becoming a depressing and increasingly anti-Russian dump.

Can you imagine actually living in Nevada? The horror. The Shipachyovs should be overjoyed to leave.

When the tournament is held on big ice, it doesn't make a difference, but there is certainly a difference on smaller ice. It is a different game.

Ship was benched in favor of Nesterov during the World Cup.

I imagine if there will be best-on-best future tournaments, it will be in NA market.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Russians should just boycott NA-dominated World Cups. And I am completely serious.

It wouldn't do anything. Keep in mind that it's really the players and maybe some of the fans that are pushing for this, the league doesn't care.

And they especially don't care if European fans are unhappy.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It wouldn't do anything. Keep in mind that it's really the players and maybe some of the fans that are pushing for this, the league doesn't care.

And they especially don't care if European fans are unhappy.

Russian fans do not care about World Cups. Some players might but they'll get over it. Do not legitimate this event any further.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
What else have we?

World Championships and Olympics. As it should be.

I always hated it when the Soviets caved to NHL preferences over the Canada Cup, and accepted crucial rule changes concerning referreering which foreshadowed their losses after 1981. Hockey is politics; you compromise, you lose.

Playing in tournaments where the odds are already severely stacked against you is pure madness. The recent decision to shift most World Junior events to North America is also concerning, and something should be done about it.

Reactions: Atas2000

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russians should just boycott NA-dominated World Cups. And I am completely serious.
Given the format World Cup is dead if Russia bows out. They destroy the Olympics, we should sabotage their Fake Cup. I am all for it.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Given the format World Cup is dead if Russia bows out. They destroy the Olympics, we should sabotage their Fake Cup. I am all for it.

It is always hard to boycott events that are universally popular with long histories, like the World Juniors. But the World Cup is such a bloody joke that it presents the perfect opportunity for Russians to flex their muscle.

The Russian hockey program needs to recoup the kinds of attitudes about the sport that were pervasive in the Soviet times: that the game was valuable for reasons of national pride and prestige first and foremost, and not solely profit.

There is no pride in showing up at these kinds of events and getting crushed on foreign ice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shipachyov soon. Hopefully more Russian players take a cue from what happened to him and stay home.

Vegas is very dumb, run by the worst GM in the league, I don't think their actions are indicative of other teams.

I think the other 30 teams in the league would regard him as a top 6 forward, and the 3rd liners they stacked up with in the expansion draft would have their ice time come after his. But I can understand if Shipachyov wants to return, Vegas screwed him over.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It is always hard to boycott events that are universally popular with long histories, like the World Juniors. But the World Cup is such a bloody joke that it presents the perfect opportunity for Russians to flex their muscle.

The Russian hockey program needs to recoup the kinds of attitudes about the sport that were pervasive in the Soviet times: that the game was valuable for reasons of national pride and prestige first and foremost, and not solely profit.

There is no pride in showing up at these kinds of events and getting crushed on foreign ice.
If it wasn't about politics and national prestige there would be no McLaren report and no WADA slander campaign.

Right now Russia plays the white knight while in particular US and Canada are all involved in some Don Corleone strategies and tactics.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Shipachev had so much fun in the NHL he even refused a trade Vegas had on the table to another team.

I hope he becomes a spokesman in convincing the new generation of Russians to spurn America for good.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Shipachev had so much fun in the NHL he even refused a trade Vegas had on the table to another team.

I hope he becomes a spokesman in convincing the new generation of Russians to spurn America for good.

He wasn't playing because he couldn't adjust and didn't want to put in the time. Don't blame him since he is older but these things happen often to North Americans as well so.....

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Also the B-team will play in Norway at that time:

GK
Vasiliy Demchenko
Ilya Samsonov
Alexander Sharychenkov
D
Alexei Bereglazov
Yevgeniy Kulik
Mikhail Naumenkov
Vladislav Provolnev
Yegor Rykov
Nikita Tryamkin
Alexei Vasilevskiy
Albert Yarullin
Artyom Zub

FW
Alexander Barabanov
Anatoliy Golyshev
Maxim Karpov
Alexander Khokhlachev
Yegor Korshkov
Pavel Kraskovskiy
Andrei Kuzmenko
Roman Lyubimov
Alexei Makeyev
Sergei Shumakov
Andrei Svetlakov
Nikolai Prokhorkin
Viktor Tikhonov
Vladimir Tkachyov (1993 born)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
According to the IOC ruling, there will not be a Russian hockey team at the 2018 Olympics. Unless they would consider dressing up in a plain white uniform with no markings on it. My understanding is that all KHL players will boycott the Olympics now that Russia has been banned.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I'm a bit confused why Tryamkin and Tkachyov are on team B, while Lyubushkin and Kablukov are on team A.

That graphic of Team A is hilarious, only Kishechkin and Lyubushkin are not from either CSKA or SKA.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm a bit confused why Tryamkin and Tkachyov are on team B, while Lyubushkin and Kablukov are on team A.

That graphic of Team A is hilarious, only Kishechkin and Lyubushkin are not from either CSKA or SKA.
You are not the only one. At least Tkachyov scored in Znarok's face yesterday.

While I am not confused. More like losing interst in that Znarok-SKA-show they are running.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->