Russia National Team discussion thread

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't know, I woldn't mind Namestnikov on a line like Kaprizov-Namestnikov-Kucherov. And definitely I'd like to see Vasya getting those starter duties.

From the KHL and NHL teams that are currently out of the play-off zone + the Blues (as they're potential play-off bracket looks not very hopefull), I'd like to see lines like that:

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Tarasenko
Kaprizov-Namestnikov-Kucherov
Gusev-Shipachyov-Dadonov
Kulemin-Tkachyov-Telegin

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Its impossible not to love the way Kaprizov is playing. Unbelievable talent, but more than talent, he plays with so much courage and confidence, and he is always there when a goal is needed to keep his team in the game. He has an amazing goal scorers' touch. He is a little bit small, but like Golyshev, he finds a way to use his size to his advantage.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
No.

Not in a million years.

Not a starter.

I think you are being too harsh here.

Namestnikov made the World Cup roster, why would he not make the World Championship roster?

I don't know about Grigorenko. I feel like you have to evaluate a player at face value, rather then whether he is living up to his potential. Grigorenko isn't a bad player by any means and he could be an asset at WHC under right circumstances. It's not like there is a fierce competition at center behind Kuzy and Malkin (assuming both will be unavailable).

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think Namestnikov would be a passable depth player, but hopefully not a second liner.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Vasilevskiy may be slumping with an S team in front of him, but he has unbelievable talent combined with great size. He will recover and be better than before.

Once again... sigh He should never have taken the path through AHL. That killed his development momentum.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't know, I woldn't mind Namestnikov on a line like Kaprizov-Namestnikov-Kucherov. And definitely I'd like to see Vasya getting those starter duties.

From the KHL and NHL teams that are currently out of the play-off zone + the Blues (as they're potential play-off bracket looks not very hopefull), I'd like to see lines like that:

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Tarasenko
Kaprizov-Namestnikov-Kucherov
Gusev-Shipachyov-Dadonov
Kulemin-Tkachyov-Telegin

Two snipers on one line never works. You can't have Kovalchuk and Tarasenko together.

Btw tht's what is not working with Ovechkin and Malkin. Malkin is not a pure playmaking center he loves to score too, but Ovechkin needs a center to create plays like Dats. Malkin is good fit with Kucherov who can be a great playmaker. Kulemin as a Palat-clone can fit in or a Mozyakin to make it a all-creative-offence line.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thoughts? Of course, thats assuming a bunch of teams get to round two and certain teams don't.

World Championship roster

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Kucherov
Radulov-Namestnikov-Tarasenko
Gusev-Shipachyov-Dadonov
Mozyakin-Grigorenko-Kaprizov
Kulemin

Provorov-Zaitsev
Zadorov-Voynov
Tryamkin-Nesterov
Yakovlev

Vasilevskiy
Shestyorkin
Sorokin

Thoughts:

Shestyorkin or Sorokin will be the starter on that team.

Your roster is oviously too NHL heavy. As bad as our center situation is Grigorenko shouldn't make it. Maybe only to reunite him with Gusev and Kucherov, but I doubt it would work now. And by now it looks like STL will catch up while MTL is slipping fast...

I'd say:

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Radulov/Tarasenko
Gusev - Shipachev - Dadonov
Mozyakin - Prokhorkin - Kucherov
Golyshev - Tkachyov - Kaprizov
Namestnikov, Telegin, Nichushkin

Provorov-Zadorov
Zaytsev-Denisov
Voynov-Belov
Antipin-Bereglazov
Rykov, Tryamkin

(If you really expect MTL to lose then add Yemelin to the list)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thoughts:

Shestyorkin or Sorokin will be the starter on that team.

Your roster is oviously too NHL heavy. As bad as our center situation is Grigorenko shouldn't make it. Maybe only to reunite him with Gusev and Kucherov, but I doubt it would work now. And by now it looks like STL will catch up while MTL is slipping fast...

I'd say:

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Radulov/Tarasenko
Gusev - Shipachev - Dadonov
Mozyakin - Prokhorkin - Kucherov
Golyshev - Tkachyov - Kaprizov
Namestnikov, Telegin, Nichushkin

Provorov-Zadorov
Zaytsev-Denisov
Voynov-Belov
Antipin-Bereglazov
Rykov, Tryamkin

(If you really expect MTL to lose then add Yemelin to the list)

I still can't figure out who's preferred between Shestyorkin and Sorokin. And then when you add Vasilevskiy into the equation, it makes it even more complicated. I think the goalies could be in any order and it wouldn't surprise me.

As much as players like Namestnikov and Grigorenko aren't doing so well in the NHL, you could say the same for Prokhorkin, Golyshev in the KHL. How effective will Telegin be in a tournament where the best teams bring all-star teams?

I don't think Rykov is ready. Let him move up to a bigger role with SKA before he's playing in a big tournament like the World Championships. I don't know why Yakovlev gets no respect. Its not just you, I see it many places. He stands out way more on SKA than Belov who I think is very overrated.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I still can't figure out who's preferred between Shestyorkin and Sorokin. And then when you add Vasilevskiy into the equation, it makes it even more complicated. I think the goalies could be in any order and it wouldn't surprise me.

As much as players like Namestnikov and Grigorenko aren't doing so well in the NHL, you could say the same for Prokhorkin, Golyshev in the KHL. How effective will Telegin be in a tournament where the best teams bring all-star teams?

I don't think Rykov is ready. Let him move up to a bigger role with SKA before he's playing in a big tournament like the World Championships. I don't know why Yakovlev gets no respect. Its not just you, I see it many places. He stands out way more on SKA than Belov who I think is very overrated.

1.Having 3 good goaltenders isn't bad, right?

2.Namestnikov is doing okay in the NHL. He is what he is. Not a star. Nobody expects that from him. Grigorenko however is a diffrent case. He is not that versatile as Namestnikov. You can't put him on different positions on different lines like Namestnikov. And he is not showing any brilliance. Both Golyshev and Prokhorkin do. Let's not look at small sample sizes. Pure skillset comparison leaves Grigorenko behind by now. I know it's the same old discussion, but yes, he went to NA early and there he is, a shadow of the junior player he once was. Prokhorkin and Golyshev matured pretty well on the other hand.

3.Telegin has already earned his wings as a 4th liner at the World Cup. I also picked rosters close to what Znarok will have in mind.

4.Rykov should be a spare D-man to watch and learn because he has the skill to develop into something meaningful. Yakovlev is a defensive black hole, mistake prone. and he will be forced to make more mistakes at a higher level of competition. That is why he is getting no love. And Belov is underrated as a steady DD.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
What happened to Chudinov? Before his move to SKA he was looking like he was going to be one of Russian leaders.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What happened to Chudinov? Before his move to SKA he was looking like he was going to be one of Russian leaders.

SKA happened. It's not like SKA is some kind of monster that eats players alive, but it is a difficult place to be for a player unless you are Kovalchuk and we know even Kovalchuk had his troubles. On the one hand it is tempting to get complacent with a big contract on the other no matter how good you are with SKA you might end up a healthy scratch just because there are too many KHL level players. It must be really hard to stay focused.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Grigorenko has never been a goal scorer. His only effectiveness is as a playmaker, so it would only be useful to have him on the ice if he is playing between two talented scorers at Wing. Yes, he plays for the worst team in the NHL, but his role was supposed to be to make them better.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Grigorenko has never been a goal scorer. His only effectiveness is as a playmaker, so it would only be useful to have him on the ice if he is playing between two talented scorers at Wing. Yes, he plays for the worst team in the NHL, but his role was supposed to be to make them better.

He spent too much time in the CHL/AHL/NHL's 3rd lines. He is done. That is my harsh, but sincere opinion.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He spent too much time in the CHL/AHL/NHL's 3rd lines. He is done. That is my harsh, but sincere opinion.

Can't get that U18s out of my mind where he dominated with Kucherov. There was a lot of promise there.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Sorry that he suffered a serious injury. Bad luck! It probably doesn't really affect the team at all.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Suddenly it has been announced that the B-team will play Vs. South Korea on 18-th and 19-th of March.

GK
Andrei Kareyev
Igor Ustinskiy
Ilya Yezhov

D
Fyodor Belyakov
Yaroslav Dyblenko
Gleb Koryagin
Vadim Kudako
Vladislav Naumov
Dmitriy Ogurtsov
Vladislav Provolnev
Alexei Vasilevskiy

FW
Anatoliy Golyshev
Kirill Kapustin
Viktor Komarov
Vyacheslav Leshchenko
Konstantin Okulov
Stepan Sannikov
Kirill Semyonov
Maxim Shalunov
Anton Shenfeld
Sergei Shumakov
Vladislav Ushenin
Vyacheslav Ushenin

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
With Tampa currently residing at the last place in eastern conference, we might get a good reinforcement for the World Championship. Actually I would really like to see Vasya at the starter's role this year, I think it might give him a confidence boost to finally take it to the next level.

I prononce it with havy english accent

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I watches Vasya play last night. He was incredible. Got the game to overtime. He's been playing a lot better recently, since Bishop was traded. If they don't make the playoffs, he should be starting at the World Championships.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Ha, for a while from this 'Vasya' talk I thought you guys meant Koshechkin.

RuskiNik

May 19, 2014
Montréal
Two snipers on one line never works. You can't have Kovalchuk and Tarasenko together.

Btw tht's what is not working with Ovechkin and Malkin. Malkin is not a pure playmaking center he loves to score too, but Ovechkin needs a center to create plays like Dats. Malkin is good fit with Kucherov who can be a great playmaker. Kulemin as a Palat-clone can fit in or a Mozyakin to make it a all-creative-offence line.

I would like to see one day Radulov with Ovechkin. Radu has amazing vision, passes and I'm sure he can get crazy feeds to Ovi. Plus both of them can do some good forecheking with their size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad