Russia may ice weakened team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Meh. If the Russians want to embarrass themselves to prove a point, then let them embarrass themselves.

There are more than enough quality teams to make the Olympic tournament top notch.

It's not like this is womens hockey, where there are only two legitimate contending teams in the world, and one is threatening to ineffectively boycott the tournament.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This has been an internal struggle within the RHF for years and it is finally coming to a head. They're willing to sacrifice good results to make their point. Over the past few years the RHF has been an absolute mess and neither side cares who is the one who will be embarassed. Bring back Slava Fetisov and everything will be fixed

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
To all those who read this article : don't pay any attention to it, and forget it.

The guy who wrote it simply misinterpreted what was written in the Russian press, or used a very bad Internet translator. He has absolutely no clue what he's talking about.

greatwhite101*

Resolute said:
Meh. If the Russians want to embarrass themselves to prove a point, then let them embarrass themselves.

There are more than enough quality teams to make the Olympic tournament top notch.

It's not like this is womens hockey, where there are only two legitimate contending teams in the world, and one is threatening to ineffectively boycott the tournament.

When Russia brings top notch players into NHL like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Zherdev and others they can not get a fair deal or what they think is right? Why not?

There are more than enough quality teams to make the Olympic tournament top notch. That sounds like your "hero" Don CHerry.

O yeah? Like who? Today, what country can challenge Canada except Russians or Czechs?
USA? Finland? Slovaks? Swedes? Germany or Ukraine? Give me a break…

Russian hockey is on the rise again. When was the last time Russians won anything? Bronze in 2005 when Russians lost a very close game to Canada but beat Czech who then beat Canada in finals. Here is the roster I’d play in Olympics. If you think you know a lot of TOP NOTCH countries who can beat this roster I would like to know. Took me 7 minutes to come up with this roster....

Kovalchuk Malkin Kovalev
Samsonov Datsuk Zherdev
Ovechkin Fedorov Vorobov
Frolov Yashin Mogilniy

Gonchar Zhitnik
Kalinin Andrei Markov (6’0)
Zubov Volchenkov Ott
Is Zubov USA citizen? Not sure..
Khabibulin
Nobakov
HM: Zhamnov Bruins, Afinogenov (if Mogilniy will not play), Semin Washinton, Kasperatus, Danny Markov, Tyutin NYR, Malakhov Devils

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I don't see the Russians being too far ahead of the Swedes or Czechs on paper (although Sweden has some goalie issues for sure). A little bit better, but not too much.

On Paper:

Canada
-
Russia
Czech Rep.
Sweden
-
Finland
Slovakia

Avery4Byng*

arrbez said:
I don't see the Russians being too far ahead of the Swedes or Czechs on paper (although Sweden has some goalie issues for sure). A little bit better, but not too much.

On Paper:

Canada
-
Russia
Czech Rep.
Sweden
-
Finland
Slovakia

Sweden....Goalie.....Salo.......

greatwhite101*

arrbez said:

On Paper:

Canada
-
Russia
Czech Rep.
Sweden
-
Finland
Slovakia
I would not put Canada that far ahead of Russia either. Well top 3 countries are really great. It could go either way. (Anything can happen in hockey and USA knows it better then anyone especially after 1980. I’d say it will be long while before we see 2nd part of “Miracle on Ice†movie but that’s another conversation)
If you watched international hockey this summer you know what I am talking about. My point is that Russia is still a good top contender, this time more then ever. By no means I think everyone should bend over and kiss their behind BUT some sort of a deal should be worked out to make everyone happy. After all, Czechs got their own deal. That was my point… not even trying to get into who is better and who is not.

But since you brought it up…. :)
I'd say Russians can roll 4 lines unlike Sweds who have a significantly drop of talent after Sundin and Forsberg line plus as you mentioned goaltending and I will add Russian defense is a little better as well.

DayWalk3r

YouTube Guru
Sep 13, 2005
Northern Hemisphere
tray said:
Sweden....Goalie.....Salo.......

I would say Henrik Lundqvist.

This is my predictions of Team Sweden in the olympics.

#1 Johan Hedberg, Dallas Stars
#32 Mikael Tellqvist, Toronto Maple Leafs
#35 Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers

#2 Mattias Öhlund, Vancouver Canucks
#3 Kim Johnsson, Philadelphia Flyers
#5 Nicklas Lidström, Detroit Red Wings
#6 Dick Tärnström, Pittsburgh Penguins
#8 Christian Bäckman, St Louis Blues
#14 Mattias Norström, Los Angeles Kings
#36 Daniel Tjärnqvist, Minnesota Wild

#11 Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa Senators
#12 Daniel Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
#13 Mats Sundin, Toronto Maple Leafs
#15 Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
#19 Markus Näslund, Vancouver Canucks
#21 Peter Forsberg, Philadelphia Flyers
#22 Per-Johan Axelsson, Boston Bruins
#26 Marcus Nilson, Calgary Flames
#33 Fredrik Modin, Tampa Bay Lightning
#37 Mikael Samuelsson, Detroit Red Wings
#40 Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings
#92 Michael Nylander, New York Rangers
#96 Thomas Holmström, Detroit Red Wings

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Disapointing, kinda taints it a little bit, but I guess no one is to blame but themselves. :dunno:

Either way, its not unexpected.

RoyIsALegend*

They could ice their best possible team and still wouldn't challenge Canada.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Nah. Stupid article. Only 2 quotes. Other article means nothing.

Russian coach Vladimir Krikunov is quoted as saying in Russian newspapers said:
"We will not crawl on our knees asking players to play for Russia".
True. Krikunov had said it before WC. Did we have a bad team ? He has said it now. It's his strategy. Only who wants play will play. I bet if someone says : "I need time to think" or something like this then Krikunov will pass on this guy.

Krikunov is also quoted as saying said:
"There is no way Khabibulin is our No. 1 goalie."
True. But quote was taken out of context. Krikunov said something like : "I don't care about names. If Bryzgalov is better than Khabi in camp or Nabokov is better in camp then they will play." It's his strategy too, and I like it too ;)

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
RoyIsALegend said:
Yeah, it's true.

The Czechs are the only team even close.

Please. A little objectivity would not hurt even a proud canuck like yourself. Canada is obviously the deepest team, but Russia can challenge Canada for sure, heck, even Finland can on a good day.

RoyIsALegend*

Boucicaut said:
Please. A little objectivity would not hurt even a proud canuck like yourself. Canada is obviously the deepest team, but Russia can challenge Canada for sure, heck, even Finland can on a good day.

I'm being objective.

If I really said how I honestly feel, you'd be alot more upset.

There is a ridiculous gap between Canada and the rest of the competition... on forwards, on defensemen, in goal, and behind the bench. Nobody even comes close.

I'll rest my case as this is solely an opinionative discussion and I've voiced mine.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
RoyIsALegend said:
I'm being objective.

There is a ridiculous gap between Canada and the rest of the competition... on forwards, on defensemen, in goal, and behind the bench. Nobody even comes close.

I'll rest my case as this is solely an opinionative discussion and I've voiced mine.

Seems like some people didn't learn anything from 1998.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
RoyIsALegend said:
I'm being objective.

Upset? This is more like a routine discussion to set another homer back on the track. Been there a few times :)

So. Where was that huge gap in the World Cup of Hockey 2004? You got outplayed by the Czechs who could have equally easily ended up in the final. The final also didn't look like any kind of total domination by Canada to me. The last two Olympics didn't showcase total domination by Canada either.

RoyIsALegend*

Epsilon said:
Seems like some people didn't learn anything from 1998.

Nowhere in my post did I say Canada would win the Olympics.

Nowhere in my post did I say Canada would walk all over the competition.

I said that there's a ridiculous gap for forwards, defense, goaltending and coaching between Canada and everybody else.

This cannot be denied.

Seems like some people can't even read. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad