OT: Russia in other sports

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Honesty, when they name the NT roster next time, Safonov should be #1.

That won't happen, I know.
I agree, the guy is good, he beat out two solid Russian goaltenders to get a starting job, one of them touted as the next one at some point (Kritsyk). With all the knocking and mocking Krasnodar is getting, a few guys from their academy are playing more and more. Utkin is from Rostov area - scored his first goal.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Roster for the Euro qualifiers announced. Komlichenko in, Sobolev and Chalov are not. Dzhanaev over the young guys?

Cherchesov is on something.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Eventful day.

Russia beat Scotland on the road to extend their lead for the 2nd spot in the Euro qualifiers.

Daniil Medvedev reached his first ever Grand Slam final.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
There are 7 Russians fighting at UFC 242 in Abu Dhabi today. Four of the five fights on the main card feature a Russian.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
There are 7 Russians fighting at UFC 242 in Abu Dhabi today. Four of the five fights on the main card feature a Russian.

Russians went 4-2-1. Obviously Khabib's dominance continues. At this point it's not just him fighting to defend the title but also building a case for an all time great list.

Aburakhimov's loss I expected, Blaydes is title contender, but Taisumov's loss is disappointing. Taisumov is very talented and deserved a top 10 opponent already, this is probably a set back.

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Well if you are going to lose in the final of US Open, that's the way to do it.

Amazing effort by Medvedev.

Hopefully he is just getting started.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Hopefully Belgium doesn't win in Scotland today, doubt it, but who knows.

Why?

If anything, you want Belgium to win. Keep mind, top 2 teams in division qualify for Euro automatically, so it doesn't matter if Russia finishes above Belgium, as long as they finish top 2.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Why?

If anything, you want Belgium to win. Keep mind, top 2 teams in division qualify for Euro automatically, so it doesn't matter if Russia finishes above Belgium, as long as they finish top 2.
I wanted to keep it interesting in the dog-fight for the first place. Now it's clear as daylight.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Second straight Master's 1000 title for Medvedev. He is knocking on the door of the big 3.

Russia needs a draw vs Cyprus today to officially qualify for Euro.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Second straight Master's 1000 title for Medvedev. He is knocking on the door of the big 3.

Russia needs a draw vs Cyprus today to officially qualify for Euro.

draw they needed, draw they didn't get :) This team is likable to say the least, just please put up a good fight vs Belgium

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
draw they needed, draw they didn't get :) This team is likable to say the least, just please put up a good fight vs Belgium

I wanted to ask you what you thought about Evgeny Chernov getting snubbed. He has certainly been playing better then Kudryashov and he has more talent in general.

Some of Cherchesov's decisions make everyone scratching their heads, but I guess as long as they are winning...

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I wanted to ask you what you thought about Evgeny Chernov getting snubbed. He has certainly been playing better then Kudryashov and he has more talent in general.

Some of Cherchesov's decisions make everyone scratching their heads, but I guess as long as they are winning...
I don't think Chernov is better than Kudryashov. Kudryashov is versatile d-man, and Chernov is a work horse with limited skill and game IQ

Reactions: MaxV

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Nikita Nagornyy won the Mens World title in Artistic Gymnastics with Artur Dalaloyan second. The Mens team won the Gold the women the silver. The womens team were disappointing again. Some funny judging as well in the apparatus finals. I am sure FIG does this to make sure some of the smaller countries don't feel left out of the medal party.

Reactions: MaxV

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Daniil Medvedev is now #2 in the world.

This is the first time in 15 years that someone other then Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray that has been top 2. Hopefully he keeps it up and starts winning Grand Slams.

Rublev has been hot lately also. But maybe no one has been as hot as Aslan Karatsev. He followed up an incredible SF run at Australian Open with a title in Dubai. He went from 114 in the world to 27 in one month.

Reactions: BMann

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Khachanov, Medvedev and Karatsev going along in the mens singles in Tokyo. Fencing doing well.

Men and women both won the team golds in artistic gymnastics. Nagorny and Dalaloyan are strong contenders for the gold in the all around. Dalaloyan having made a terrific comeback from his Achilles injury.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Khachanov is in the final.
All Russian final in mixed doubles.
Kudermetova/Vesnina playing for Bronze in women doubles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->