OT: Russia in other sports

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
How do you envision the starting lineup?

I’m assuming Erokhin will be given the attacking mid spot, if for nothing else at least he has chemistry with Dzyuba. I’m also assuming Lunyov starts.

That leaves RW, LB and CB as question marks. I’m hoping its Nabiullin at LB. I’m not sure who among these guys can be RW. Ionov maybe? Unless they go with 3-CB system, then Kuzyaev will play there. And the CB position, Dzhikia is one, Kudryashov will play if they go with 3-CB, but then who else? Kutepov hasn’t played since WC. I guess the German guy.

I haven't thought about it much: I think Neustetter will start, there is also Semenov; Kutepov is hurt. Ionov I think likes to play on the left side. Whatever Cherchesov does, I have faith in him, how could you not after the WC

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Jeez, that’s an ugly looking lineup. Just 2 attacking players.

Why are we back with 3-CB system, our success was with 2-CB/2-DM system.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Solid victory. Cheryshev and Dzyuba are in good form.

I’m still not a fan of Cherchesov’s system. I guess he was forced to deploy this lineup due to the absence of top players.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Win in Turkey is good in my book...I read Kudryashov was a liability in the second half (only watched the first half), it's a bit scary, with Zhirkov's retirements his only sub is Raush....

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Win in Turkey is good in my book...I read Kudryashov was a liability in the second half (only watched the first half), it's a bit scary, with Zhirkov's retirements his only sub is Raush....

No, I disagree. Nabiullin, Skopintsev and a few others that might be down the line can take it. It’s only a matter of experience and time.

My issue with Cherchesov and this current team is that it’s built to out-work their opponents. I mean, it’s not the worst thing, but if the ultimate goal is to be a top team you need more skill on the field. Golovin’s absence certainly doesn’t help, but I still find it hard to believe that this is the most skilled team that they could field.

They basically had 3 CBs and 5 DMs. I like Kuzyaev, but if he is on the field it shouldn’t be in an attacking mid role. Also, Erokhin playing as a wing? Come on.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I shared my opinion on Skopintsev - too much of liability on the pitch.
I forgot Nabiullin, but he would have been a lot better off staying under Berdyev, don't see much progress since he came to Zenit

Agree on Erokhin, that is NOT his spot.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Not the worst game I’ve seen Russia play.

And I like this formation FAR more.

I honestly don’t see the point of Kudryashov starting if we are playing 2 DMs. Let’s not pretend that he is a LB, he is a 100% CB and an undersized one at that. Rausch looked very solid. He was in the middle of that Czech goal, but it was more of a miscommunication/bad timing rather a bad defensive play. Actually, he was about to make a great defensive play before Lunyov wiped him out.

Ionov, whoa. Interesting. There might a bit of a competition brewing at that spot. His presence also allowed Erokhin and Kuzyaev to play at their natural positions.

It’ll be interesting to see who will start in the next game.

I mean, a bunch of midfielders made a strong case for themselves in these 2 games. Whom do you sit? Especially, when Golovin comes back, even a tougher decision.

Good game by Zabolotny. He is not a starting caliber forward, but he has the ability to contribute as a sub.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Why are there only 2 posters talking about this subject?

Did this team really do so much damage over the past few years that even a successful WC can’t fix it?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Why are there only 2 posters talking about this subject?

Did this team really do so much damage over the past few years that even a successful WC can’t fix it?

It can, but for me the issue is that I've been really dissapointed with football as such, so it's hard to get the interest back to the level that would allow me to gain the knowledge back to properly discuss it. :)

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
There are definitely some really talented young guys that are already getting playing time and already showing flashes. Several have already made their NT debut, others are on the verge. The fact that top teams are actually showing a commitment to getting young guys playing time is also very encouraging.

Very interesting period in Russian soccer.

Actually, this guy made 2 great videos on the subject:

Top young Russian players.

Top Russian prospects.

There are definitely others that could have a case for these lists, including 2 guys who are playing overseas (Anton Mitryushkin and Viacheslav Karavayev).

Reactions: Caser

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Meh, those results have other variables besides talent. Our coaching is always poor at that level. It’s always disorganized.

I’m not jumping the train. These guys still have a long road ahead of them. Russian clubs are notoriously bad at developing young players. They rather buy some mediocre foreign player and give him playing time rather then the young guy.

They do loan them to FNL, but that league is a grind where it’s a slow-paced, close-quarters foul-fest. Skill doesn’t get developed there.

Biggest success with young guys is usually RPL mid- or bottom-tier teams. They get playing time and a chance to play at higher level. Rostov is the best team by far when it comes to development, Rubin might be up there this year.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I like bandy, unfortunately it's hard to follow and rarely on tv. Also, there isn't a single club team I can associate myself with. I used to somewhat support SKA Yekaterinburg in associations with CSKA.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It's more like 'other sports in Russia', but this weekend it's F1 Russian Grand Prix in Sochi. I'm not a big fan of F1 these days, but I enjoyed the Sochi event in previous years.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Akinfeev retires from NT.

Good career I would say.

His career was good, but instead of trying to play for a team in a top European league, he chose comfort zone. He had atrocious mistakes on NT levels, yes this last world cup @ home was good for him, thank you and let's move on. Lunev, Selikhov, Djanaev, Gillierme and co. can duke it out for a no.1 position

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Khabib won the most anticipated fight ever vs McGregor.

Unfortunately, his moment was ruined by post fight brawl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->