OT: Russia in other sports

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
This team was also without Kokorin.

Russia needs a strong Rubin IMO (and Dynamo). Club is kind of a joke right now.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Both teams need to get their finances in order.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Tashayev progresses. Spartak has been a terrible place for young players in the past, but recently it has been a bit better. Tashayev is very talented, he was often the lone offensive catalyst for Dinamo last year. He could absolutely be a strong presence for the NT.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
The performance was unbelievable, end result heartbreaking. No way near the most talented team in modern Russian history, but the hardest playing one for sure. I am ready to wait, we know it's going to be another decade till we are ok again :)

Dzyuba's character and Cherchesov's bal...z is what carried this team. Also by miracle of injuries, loss of form and cherchesov's character we didn't have too many pansies on this team, such as Kokorin, Mamaew, Shatov, Poloz... (besides Smolov, Mironchuk - everybody was playing super hard), and no cancer in the face of Denisov, no out of shapers like Glushakov. Unfortunately, due to injuries we also missed Raush, Dhizkia, Vasin, Dzagoev for the most of the tournament (props to the coach for building the "new" D so fast and to Ignashevich for coming out of near-retirement)

With the loss of Ignashevich, Samedov (not much of a loss, however, someone needs to step in), and Zhirkov there are gaping holes on the team, and no clear candidates to feel them in. Dhzikia prob comes in for Ignash, Raush (or mb Petrov) for Zhirkov, not sure who takes Samedov's spot. I like Stozkiy as well, he is 29 and has not been an NT player really.

The players who have impressed: Dzyuba, Kutepov (everyone was laughing at him and he played really well), and Cheryshev. The biggest surprise, however, to me was Zobnin - the guy is a beast and an excellent player, I never really thought he was that good.
Some might jump at me for missing out on Golovin, I personally didn't think he played any better than for CSKA in champions league. IMHO he is clearly not ready for big time teams.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
From the young players, I am waiting for further progress from Kuchaev and Chalov, may be, just may be Miranchuk bro's can man up and take the next step (I am not sold on them at all though), not sure if Barinov, Lysov, Zhemaletdinov, Zhamaletdinov, Timofeev are anywhere near taking the next step in their careers, don't know what to expect from Krasnodar young guys, they can't seem to deliver on regular bases.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I disagree that this was the least talented. The team that was on the field 4 years ago was way worse imo. That team was relying on superstars such as Kannunikov, Glushakov, Kombarov, Fayzulin and Shatov.

I actually thought that Cherchesov had more to work with then given credit for. A lot was made about their pre-tournament winless streak and low rankings, but did people look at their pre-tournament schedule? Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, France, etc, its no easy task to have a winning streak for any team. Besides, their lineup was very different.

The lineup that they had at the tournament was ideal for trap-and-counter game. Zobnin and Kuzyaev (Gazinsky earlier) were ideal holding mids capable of helping the D and starting counters. Both of these guys are just settling in this position also as they’ve moved around in their careers.

I’m optimistic about the future. The core is still young and there are a bunch of talented youngsters almost ready. I’m not worried about Samedov’s spot, as his speed wasn’t there anymore anyway, something that limited him at wing. I think there is more then a fair chance that there will be an upgrade. I’ve mentioned Tashayev already, hopefully Spartak doesn’t ruin him as so many before. Plenty of other candidates, there lots of talented guys in the midfield.

Zhirkov’s spot is more problematic. There is no obvious candidate right now. Hopefully Zenit can put Nabiullin back on track. His upside is HUGE, but his tactics are lacking. Kuchaev and Lysov are new guys on the scene and could get there. They are both still learning as they were actually playing in attacking roles in juniors. Slava Karavaev is developing overseas, has moved to Netherlands actually which has a decent track record with youngsters. Two other talented guys to watch are Skopintsev and Zhivoglyadov, the later is moving to a bigger club apparently.

Watch Anton Mitryushkin for the future. He might be Akinfeev’s heir apparent. Still needs to learn a couple of things, but his combination of reflexes and goal coverage is ridiculous. Lunyov or possibly Selikhov might be the more immediate options.

At least one of Dzyuba, Kokorin or Smolov should be there for the next 4 years, but there could be new candidates soon. Ivan Ignatiev and Fedor Chalov are on track.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
I’m guessing Oblyakov should start getting NT looks as well. Especially with Ufa playing in Europe this season.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Btw, since the LD position issues have been brought up, can someone explain me what happened to Shchennikov? I know he is injured now, but I mean like globally - when I still followed football he was considered our main hope at LD, but apparently not anymore, so I was wondering what happened by that time.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Nothing happened to him, he is an option also. He even has showed improvement going forward for a couple of games last year. But it doesn’t sound like Cherchesov is high on him.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Btw, since the LD position issues have been brought up, can someone explain me what happened to Shchennikov? I know he is injured now, but I mean like globally - when I still followed football he was considered our main hope at LD, but apparently not anymore, so I was wondering what happened by that time.

Like most of CSKA players he was over-hyped, plateaud pretty quick and never really improved. Seemed to have gotten more offensive in the beginning of the season, but that tapered off.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Monumental player in 2008 and 2018....He should have gone to a weaker team, other than Chelsea back in the day, what a great player before all the injuries especially.

I remember that game vs Netherlands where he was absolutely killing them on the perimeter.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
So Cherchesov named the roster for League of Nations.

I don’t know what this guy is on, but it must some be good stuff.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
what don't you like about his selections?

Ionov, Mogilevets are '?', but one plays for Rostov, one used to play and the Czech game is in Rostov. What other positions do you questions?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I’ve been a fan of Mogilevets for awhile. Good selection. Ionov, eh.

Kambolov is meh, I get he is versatile but not very good anywhere. Same goes for Stotsky. Zabolotny over Smolov? I get that Smolov isn’t in great form, but he is still far better then Zabolotny.

Similar with Alexey Miranchuk. Even not in great form, he is still better then most mids called up.

Where’s Skopintsev? He has been one of Rostov’s best. I would even nominate him to start.

Frolov has certainly deserved a call up, but #3 goallie isn’t a big deal.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I’ve been a fan of Mogilevets for awhile. Good selection. Ionov, eh.

Kambolov is meh, I get he is versatile but not very good anywhere. Same goes for Stotsky. Zabolotny over Smolov? I get that Smolov isn’t in great form, but he is still far better then Zabolotny.

Stotsky is very good, he has a bit less responsibilities in Kransodar and does not shine as much, but for Ufa last year, he was really really good. Smolov is being given rest, also he is not good for teams chemistry imho, but he will be on the roster for years to come (unfortunately), so Zabolotny is a banger with limited talent, but a hard fighter, u need people like that for chemistry.

Similar with Alexey Miranchuk. Even not in great form, he is still better then most mids called up.

Extremely overrated, week minded, soft player. Talented yes, but that's about it. Not progressing much.

Where’s Skopintsev? He has been one of Rostov’s best. I would even nominate him to start.

Extremely weak defender, while his set up offensive skills are good, he cannot play any D, constantly drops his assignments, will not come back leaving central d-men exposed to speedy attacks from the wing. Until he learns to play his position - he has no spot on NT.[/QUOTE]

Frolov has certainly deserved a call up, but #3 goallie isn’t a big deal.

ok

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
How do you envision the starting lineup?

I’m assuming Erokhin will be given the attacking mid spot, if for nothing else at least he has chemistry with Dzyuba. I’m also assuming Lunyov starts.

That leaves RW, LB and CB as question marks. I’m hoping its Nabiullin at LB. I’m not sure who among these guys can be RW. Ionov maybe? Unless they go with 3-CB system, then Kuzyaev will play there. And the CB position, Dzhikia is one, Kudryashov will play if they go with 3-CB, but then who else? Kutepov hasn’t played since WC. I guess the German guy.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Not the worst champ league draws. No excuses, they need to start playing up to their talent, especially Loko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->