Russia Defeats Canada on All Levels in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It´s kind of a shame that Russia made it all the way into the semifinals of the tournament despite the "efforts" they have put into their games so far.....

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
The final shots count was 37-20 in favor of Canada. That being said, Russia only had 4 shots in third period and scored 2 goals.

However, that is always the case that Canada outshooting Russia badly. It's just the way the teams play. Canadians shoot whenever they get a chance and try to get a deflection or rebound while Russians try to shoot only when they think they have a decent chance at scoring.

That's not necessarily the case. I have distinct recollections of Canada being outshot heavily on occasion against Russian in the past.

The reality is Canada dictated the play for longer stretches of the game than Russia did and consequently had the puck in Russia's more often than not. Hence, the shot disparity.

However, this Canadian team was lacking in skill and weren't able to generate very many quality chances. This Russian team, otoh, had more high end skill and were able to generate a few more higher end quality chances.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That's not necessarily the case. I have distinct recollections of Canada being outshot heavily on occasion against Russian in the past.

The reality is Canada dictated the play for longer stretches of the game than Russia did and consequently had the puck in Russia's more often than not. Hence, the shot disparity.

However, this Canadian team was lacking in skill and weren't able to generate very many quality chances. This Russian team, otoh, had more high end skill and were able to generate a few more higher end quality chances.

maybe you are right, but the only game I can recall where we outshot Canada was last year's quarterfinal where Canada had its worst roster in ages.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I turned it off after two periods thinking Canada would easily win given how the teams had looked until then, so it's obviously a bit of a surprise to me to see this result.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
well they did lose to Czech and Finns but those were pretty close games, they lost by 1 goal.

Forgot one loss there didn´t you? :D In other way I can also say that they managed to beat Slovakia (who didn´t? oh, yeah, Slovenia) and (barely) Denmark before this game. This Russian team should be playing much better hockey and it´s very disappointing for me that they didn´t pay for not doing so tonight.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Forgot one loss there didn´t you? :D In other way I can also say that they managed to beat Slovakia (who didn´t? oh, yeah, Slovenia) and (barely) Denmark before this game. This Russian team should be playing much better hockey and it´s very disappointing for me that they didn´t pay for not doing so tonight.

they won like 20+ games in a row until the loss in the finals last year, so I guess they just can't be that good all the time.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
stupid thread, true fans of hockey have utmost respect for Canada - for us to beat any team with a maple leaf on the jersey is a great achievement, always has been always will be.

I hate yahoo_ism, see you - Canada during the Subway Series, can't wait and here's hoping to Russian not taking any passengers!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
To tell the true never cared a lot of WC during the Soviet era. And don't care a lot now. Sure, when we couldn't win a single WC for a dozen years it was a bit refreshing to win 2 world championships in a row. But it was nothing close to that Canada Cup 1981 victory...

And as to best vs best, I'd say those games look like Canada 1 vs Canada 2. Where some canadiens strangely have russian names... Hope big rink in Sochi will make it different...

Fulcrum

Ha, Russia totally blows on WHC 2011. They were incredibly lucky to win against Canada today.

Lucky?! LUCKY?! Did you watch the game? Did you see how many bounces did NOT go their way? They forced this win, despite bad luck!

They dont Tottaly blow. Totally blowing would be not making it past prequals. Making it to Semi's is almost the opposite. But yes, they are only now starting to reach their potential now.

Coaches have been saying that players should reach their peak around playoffs, not in games against Germany and Slovenia.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Coaches have been saying that players should reach their peak around playoffs, not in games against Germany and Slovenia.

This is absolutely true.

In fact, it's something we Canadians often say about our own slow-starting teams.

If Russia improves, and somehow wins, no one will care about the silly preliminary rounds. They only exist to carry you through to the next round.

Fulcrum

stupid thread, true fans of hockey have utmost respect for Canada - for us to beat any team with a maple leaf on the jersey is a great achievement, always has been always will be.

I hate yahoo_ism, see you - Canada during the Subway Series, can't wait and here's hoping to Russian not taking any passengers!

No passengers if Bragin is still at the helm

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
I was pretty pissed off at the sour grapes displayed by some of my countrymen after the loss today but gloating is just as ugly frankly.

jarude*

Good year for the Russians, but I would honestly give every int'l matchup until Sochi to them in exchange for our Vancouver win. We can bomb every int'l matchup until 2014, but if we sochi it to them (hurrr) at the Olympics, it'll all be worth it.

WJHC means the most out of these - world class prospects in their final hurrah before the big leagues. U-18 and WHC are entertaining, but are a poor representation of the proper rivalry between countries. I was really sore about losing the Juniors but I'm already over this one.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
WJHC: Russia - Canada 5:3

WJHC U18: Russia - Canada 6:4

WHC: Russia - Canada 2:1

Considering that Russia also won the Subway SuperSeries, it's safe to say that this has been the best year for Russian hockey against Canadians since Soviet times.

Interesting as well to note that Kane, Duchene, Skinner, and Taylor Hall who would have played today had he not been injured all were eligible to play for the Canadian team at the WJHC. :handclap:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Really really really hope the NHL goes to Sochi.

This. I dont understand how can they even consider not going there. Sport is not a sports, if its not in olympis. And that league.. it would make NHL just look ignorant and stupid league. I really hope someone was just joking about talking not going to olympics, but if not i hope they will go... Players should just go to the olympics, **** the buttman and others who dont know anything about sports.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Really poor effort from Canada, but congrats to the Ruskies.

Gotta cheer for Finland now, methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad