WJC: Russia 2019 Roster Talk | Mod Note in OP

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I am really excited to see Alexeyev play in this tournament. He is ripping it up in the WHL right now and all signs point to him being a decent player.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am really excited to see Alexeyev play in this tournament. He is ripping it up in the WHL right now and all signs point to him being a decent player.
He was the best defenceman on the team so far. Looks like a lock for WJC and as a #1 at that.

Reactions: Sam Spade

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Chekhovich - Kravtsov - Kostin
Denisenko - Shen - Starkov
X - X - X
Shashkov - Kolygin - Slepets

Alexeyev - X
Morozov - Olshansky
X - X
X - X

Tarasov
X
Kochetkov

That's what I see so far after the Canada/Russia series. I think there are still quite a few spots up for grabs. The bolded players are those that really surprised me. Olshansky came out of nowhere for me, don't know about his pro level potential, but he looks made for a tournament like the WJC.

The one big thing about this team is it still looks weak down the middle, and with Kravtsov getting some g-pig treatment down the middle he could be a possibility, I was really hoping Kostin might get some time but that's looking moot. Some names I think that are in the running are Galimov (could see him in a bottom 6 center role), Khovanov, Muranov.

Some of the big disappointments for me were Lipanov, Toropchenko, Shafigullin (I think he played himself off the team for sure).

The way some of the older players are playing there could actually be some younger kids in the lineup this year.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Zavgorodniy was really good too, he scored a very important goal at the end of the 3rd. Haven't seen him mentioned too much so far on the thread.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
What's up with Max Zhukov? He wasn't good enough to be invited to the series?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Chekhovich - Kravtsov - Kostin
Denisenko - Shen - Starkov
X - X - X
Shashkov - Kolygin - Slepets

Alexeyev - X
Morozov - Olshansky
X - X
X - X

Tarasov
X
Kochetkov

That's what I see so far after the Canada/Russia series. I think there are still quite a few spots up for grabs. The bolded players are those that really surprised me. Olshansky came out of nowhere for me, don't know about his pro level potential, but he looks made for a tournament like the WJC.

The one big thing about this team is it still looks weak down the middle, and with Kravtsov getting some g-pig treatment down the middle he could be a possibility, I was really hoping Kostin might get some time but that's looking moot. Some names I think that are in the running are Galimov (could see him in a bottom 6 center role), Khovanov, Muranov.

Some of the big disappointments for me were Lipanov, Toropchenko, Shafigullin (I think he played himself off the team for sure).

The way some of the older players are playing there could actually be some younger kids in the lineup this year.

- I don’t think it’s necessary to experiment, Kravtsov should play where he is most comfortable. There is enough talent at C where I don’t think it’s a weakness.

- Kochetkov might get a chance to even be #1. Ustimenko will probably be the 3rd guy, unless they want to give Miftakhov experience.

- Samorukov showed well, plus has experience, he should be there. Romanov had a good showing also imo.

- Khovanov, Zavgorodny and Muranov did all they could, if they aren’t selected then they were never really considered.

- Denisenko isn’t a lock, maybe even Kovalenko might be ahead of him.

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Denisenko - Kostin - Kravtsov
Muranov - Shen - Slepets
Chekhovich - Khovanov - Starkov
Shashkov - Galimov - Kovalenko

Alexeyev - Romanov
Morozov - Olshansky
Kalabushkin - Samorukov

Kochetkov
Tarasov

is my guess

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If Anokhovsky is fit, my guess is:

Starkov - Shen - Kravtsov
Chekhovich - Khovanov - Kostin
Denisenko - Anokhovsky - Kovalenko
Slepets - Koltygin - Muranov
Yaremchuk

Alexeyev - Samorukov
Morozov - Kalabushkin
Olshansky - Romanov
Rubinchik

Tarasov
Kochetkov
Ustimenko

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
What is the point to experiment with skilled wingers like Kravtsov or Kostin at center as some of you are doing? At this point of their careers , it has been several years since these wingers have played center or they have never done so at all. Not such an easy transition .

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
What is the point to experiment with skilled wingers like Kravtsov or Kostin at center as some of you are doing? At this point of their careers , it has been several years since these wingers have played center or they have never done so at all. Not such an easy transition .
I think Kravtsov just played center for Russia in the U20 Four nations tournament

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I think Kravtsov just played center for Russia in the U20 Four nations tournament

Kravtsov's played center at the 4 nations in an attempt to see if he could handle the role for this tournament, and he's played the position in very limited minutes against men this season.

Kostin played Center ~2 years ago, and the thought process early in the offseason was with the limited center depth this team has maybe look at one of the powerhouses on this team to make the conversion (it looks like they're looking at Kravtsov), especially so you could have that defacto #1 line. I still think, even with barely any reps this season, just based on his size and skillset, Kostin would be a fantastic center in a U20 tournament, if Kravtsov does it though the need for that move isn't strong.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
While the depth at Center isn’t as impressive as at wing, it is not to the point where you start experimenting with moving natural wingers to center.

Besides, Bragin is old school. He is a believer in top 6/bottom 6 roles, so grinder players have a realistic shot. That means that there is a solid shot we will see either Galimov or Tsitsyura on the roster.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Kravtsov's played center at the 4 nations in an attempt to see if he could handle the role for this tournament, and he's played the position in very limited minutes against men this season.

Kostin played Center ~2 years ago, and the thought process early in the offseason was with the limited center depth this team has maybe look at one of the powerhouses on this team to make the conversion (it looks like they're looking at Kravtsov), especially so you could have that defacto #1 line. I still think, even with barely any reps this season, just based on his size and skillset, Kostin would be a fantastic center in a U20 tournament, if Kravtsov does it though the need for that move isn't strong.

Today coach Bragin mentioned that they're viewing Kravtsov primarily as a winger. Center is not totally out of the question though, but then he will need someone to take faceoffs for him (so basically there will have to be someone with center experience on his line). Kostin's experience at playing at center is an urban legend that still keeps on rolling here on HF for some weird reason.

While the depth at Center isn’t as impressive as at wing, it is not to the point where you start experimenting with moving natural wingers to center.

Besides, Bragin is old school. He is a believer in top 6/bottom 6 roles, so grinder players have a realistic shot. That means that there is a solid shot we will see either Galimov or Tsitsyura on the roster.

Actually here you're not exactly correct, maybe you're confusing Bragin with Varnakov, as classic Bragin's set-up is a Top9+4th line (with the exception of last year, when it was basicaly Top12, as he was rolling all four lines) and he already told in an interview that Top9 will likely be this year too, the only difference from this usual set-up might be that he still considering possibility to go with 13 FWs instead of usual 12.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad