WJC: Russia 2019 Roster Talk | Mod Note in OP

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
MOD NOTE: We are here to discuss the Russian Team Roster. There will be no attacking other posters over how they format lines. Talk hockey and the Russian Team and do it civilly.

Any thoughts about Russian roster for the upcoming WJC?
I would try something like this at the moment:

Chekhovich - Lipanov - Kostin
Denisenko - Khovanov - Kravtsov
Maksimov - Koltygin - Kovalenko
Shen - Marushev - Shafigullin

Morozov - Alexeyev
Samorukov - Romanov
Khabarov - Malyshev
Rubinchik - Rodionychev

Tarasov
Zhukov
Miftakhov

Last edited by a moderator:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Defense and goaltending look much better than last year. Still tons of questions and decisions for forwards tho.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Any chance the Podkolzin-Morozov-Marchenko line makes it?
Very slim chance. It's not a secret Bragin prefers older players playing in the men's leagues, mostly KHL. I'm not even sure Denisenko will make it, altought he plays in KHL regulary with decent minutes. Same for Khovanov, but I believe he could impress Bragin with his skill and smarts. In addition he plays at a very valuable postion.
I dunno maybe they'll get their chance at SuperSeries?

Any chance Semyon Der-Arguchintsev makes the roster?
Pretty much no chance. He is young, small, plays in CHL and actually doesn't tear it apart.

Reactions: MordredGK

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was shocked to see Romanov make his KHL club at 18. He wasn't even playing that much with them in the preseason, he played twice as many games with his VHL club. But he's looked solid in the 3 games I've seen so far. Great skater, takes the body, his ice time has mostly been up after the first few games. So I'm hoping he's put himself on the map to make the team, would be great experience for him to get 2 WJC's under his belt since if he makes it this year I assume he'd be pretty much a lock for next year.

Reactions: Sticktape

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Any thoughts about Russian roster for the upcoming WJC?
I would try something like this at the moment:

Chekhovich - Lipanov - Kostin
Denisenko - Khovanov - Kravtsov
Maksimov - Koltygin - Kovalenko
Shen - Marushev - Shafigullin

Morozov - Alexeyev
Samorukov - Romanov
Khabarov - Malyshev
Rubinchik - Rodionychev

Tarasov
Zhukov
Miftakhov

I like that defense a lot and Tarasov in net should be great.

I still think there's a chance given his play from a few years back down the middle that Kostin could be looked at as a center for the tournament just to get some size. We'll see how he performs in the coming months in the AHL but I think he has the size and skill to really do some damage in a U20 tournament down the middle. Takes some pressure off Lipanov too, who's had international success but I do not like him that much last season. I think if he's the 1C on this team, there's trouble.

A few not mentioned darkhorses for the team

Toropchenko
Timirov
Shashkov

I think Toropchenko looked great with Kostin during prospect camp, there was great chemistry. And Shashkov just seems like too much of a personality. The guy is a real treat, not sure the coaches would love him, but I enjoy his game.

363cde1475c8087920684efb37620bc2.jpg

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Any chance the Podkolzin-Morozov-Marchenko line makes it?

17 year-olds don’t make the Russian roster unless they are top tier. Svechnikov was the first in awhile (I think Provorov was the last before him).

Podkolzin is talented but not on that level.

I like the roster of OP.

Just Koltygin ... meh. He wins face offs, I guess that might give him a chance.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Not like early guessing makes any sense, but it is still fun. :)

Maksimov-Shen-Kravtsov
Chekhovich-Lipanov-Kostin
Yaremchuk-Anokhovskiy-Kovalenko
Filin-Koltygin-Toropchenko

Morozov-Alexeyev
Samorukov-Rubinchik
Baranov-Lyakhov
Romanov-Zhuravlyov

Tarasov
Ustimenko
Zhukov

Reactions: theVladiator

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not like early guessing makes any sense, but it is still fun. :)

Maksimov-Shen-Kravtsov
Chekhovich-Lipanov-Kostin
Yaremchuk-Anokhovskiy-Kovalenko
Filin-Koltygin-Toropchenko

Morozov-Alexeyev
Samorukov-Rubinchik
Baranov-Lyakhov
Romanov-Zhuravlyov

Tarasov
Ustimenko
Zhukov
Why wouldn't Khovanov make the team ? He's clearly the best C in that group.
Also doesn't Galenyuk have a chance here?

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

I don't think he is the best. To me some of the older C's probably more likely to get his spot over an 18 year old at his overall skill level. I think he's in the mix because I do think the center depth on this team is questionable (which is why I still feel like Kostin to the middle could be an option) but he's not the best C at this moment.

For example, one name that I think I really deserves a spot and he hasn't been talked about by anyone but me here is Shashkov. He's playing C in the KHL and looks solid down the middle. He has 2 goals against Semin's team (which isn't a huge accomplishment but look at the team Shashkov plays for, the worst team in the league and one of the worst offenses in the league, and yet at 19 he's putting up points and playing his position well. I think he's getting noticed for sure.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

About Khovanov, he is the best C by ceiling/talent, but what about his current ability considering that he is a year younger, which really matters here? For example, if we compare him to Shen, I totally won't bet my money that he is better at this current moment - if Shen is in a good shape (which is a different question, btw, due to his TOI), he is clearly ahead of Khovanov at least in terms of maturity/athleticism.

Then we need to look at the center roles:

Shen's role is called "Kravtsov's center", it has worked at the 4Nations and, unless it fails at the CAN/RUS Series, you don't change what is working.

Lipanov is Lipanov - talent is there and judging by the Sochi tournament he should be able to be one of the leaders here, so the place in the top 6 (athough there is no such thing as a top6 in Bragin's team) shouldn't be a question, just need to find appropriate linemates.

When talking about Anokhovskiy, I consider a typical middle-six line. Here we have to understand that we probably are also talking about Kovalenko's line here. Kovalenko will need to have some sniper at LW to pass to and therefore at center we need a hard-working guy with size and two-way ability. Since Anokhovskiy is exactly that kind of guy and has a solid chemistry with Kovalenko, it's hard to find a better candidate.

And a fourth line center is a fourth line center (at least it should be that way) - strong guy with PK and FO abilities, it just isn't Khovanov.

About Galenyuk, he had a rough start of the season after a pre-season injury and is still not at his best (not to mention that he wasn't really great at the second half of last season). But if talking about the defense, it's a guessing game at this point: currently there are Alexeyev, Samorukov and Morozov, everyone else will be determined by the natural selection of the CAN/RUS Series.

And again, I'm writing a lot of stuff here, but then there will be November and the CAN/RUS series will just come in and turn all the tables, so not much sense in that now. But yeah, just writing down my view of the current situation.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
About Khovanov, he is the best C by ceiling/talent, but what about his current ability considering that he is a year younger, which really matters here? For example, if we compare him to Shen, I totally won't bet my money that he is better at this current moment - if Shen is in a good shape (which is a different question, btw, due to his TOI), he is clearly ahead of Khovanov at least in terms of maturity/athleticism.

Then we need to look at the center roles:

Shen's role is called "Kravtsov's center", it has worked at the 4Nations and, unless it fails at the CAN/RUS Series, you don't change what is working.

Lipanov is Lipanov - talent is there and judging by the Sochi tournament he should be able to be one of the leaders here, so the place in the top 6 (athough there is no such thing as a top6 in Bragin's team) shouldn't be a question, just need to find appropriate linemates.

When talking about Anokhovskiy, I consider a typical middle-six line. Here we have to understand that we probably are also talking about Kovalenko's line here. Kovalenko will need to have some sniper at LW to pass to and therefore at center we need a hard-working guy with size and two-way ability. Since Anokhovskiy is exactly that kind of guy and has a solid chemistry with Kovalenko, it's hard to find a better candidate.

And a fourth line center is a fourth line center (at least it should be that way) - strong guy with PK and FO abilities, it just isn't Khovanov.

About Galenyuk, he had a rough start of the season after a pre-season injury and is still not at his best (not to mention that he wasn't really great at the second half of last season). But if talking about the defense, it's a guessing game at this point: currently there are Alexeyev, Samorukov and Morozov, everyone else will be determined by the natural selection of the CAN/RUS Series.

And again, I'm writing a lot of stuff here, but then there will be November and the CAN/RUS series will just come in and turn all the tables, so not much sense in that now. But yeah, just writing down my view of the current situation.
I mostly agree with everything here, but its still weird to leave off arguably your 3rd best forward, maybe fit him on wing or something or as 13th forward, I have a hard time seeing him not being on a roster on talent alone, but it is russia afterall, and weirder things have happened.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I mostly agree with everything here, but its still weird to leave off arguably your 3rd best forward, maybe fit him on wing or something or as 13th forward, I have a hard time seeing him not being on a roster on talent alone, but it is russia afterall, and weirder things have happened.

But again, talent is a great thing, but without proper maturity (both in terms of experience and athleticism) to play with best guys, who are a year older than you, it has to be at the level of leading the team, otherwise it can become an issue for the whole team. Because in that case coach will have to really build a line around that player - play him with some guys, who will compensate his weaknesses. Again, no issues if that talent already at this point allows this player to be one of the leaders at least in the offensive zone, but if that isn't so, you will just waste player resources.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But again, talent is a great thing, but without proper maturity (both in terms of experience and athleticism) to play with best guys, who are a year older than you, it has to be at the level of leading the team, otherwise it can become an issue for the whole team. Because in that case coach will have to really build a line around that player - play him with some guys, who will compensate his weaknesses. Again, no issues if that talent already at this point allows this player to be one of the leaders at least in the offensive zone, but if that isn't so, you will just waste player resources.
Theres clearly a rift in mentality with NA and Russia there. Khovanov isnt all potential, hes producing better numbers than Lipanov, Chekhovich.

Not saying youre wrong, because ultimately, I think this is what Bragin and the brass believes in and have shown to believe.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Theres clearly a rift in mentality with NA and Russia there. Khovanov isnt all potential, hes producing better numbers than Lipanov, Chekhovich.

Not saying youre wrong, because ultimately, I think this is what Bragin and the brass believes in and have shown to believe.

Well, if we're talking about NA we can take a look at the Canada roster, it had similar tendencies last year: only 3 players were a year younger and now we can see why they made it - they are in the NHL now despite their age. For example, Cody Glass, who was 6th overall at the draft and posted unreal numbers in the WHL didn't make it despite all the talent.

About Lipanov's numbers, I think just something got wrong there in Sudbury, otherwise he wouldn't be traded to Kitchener right before sending him back to juniors. He was praised on his AHL stint last season, also in the camp recently, even he got sent down to juniors only at the last moment, as there were thoughts of keeping him in the AHL. Not to mention the Sochi tournament in May. About Chekhovich's numbers, I kind of like them much more than Khovanov's (not to mention Chekhovich's camp and Sochi performances).

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Ya Khovanov is lighting the Q on fire. He's 50th in league scoring with 8 in 8 lol. Guess what Chekhovich had in 8 games last year? 7 points. Lipanov had 9 points in his first 8 games too. He's not doing anything special.

At this stage, right now Chekhovich and Lipanov are better than Khovanov.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

It’s debatable Khovanov is even the best center of the 2000 borns anymore. Imo, Morozov has passed him.

Reactions: Flynn84

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It’s debatable Khovanov is even the best center of the 2000 borns anymore. Imo, Morozov has passed him.
Morozov is good, I agree and fits what the russian program wants more than Khovanov, but I think a lot of people are putting too much weight on last year.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Morozov is good, I agree and fits what the russian program wants more than Khovanov, but I think a lot of people are putting too much weight on last year.

Too much weight on last year?
Obviously it's early but Khovanov has done virtually nothing this year. He's currently 5th on his team in production, and this is against junior aged competition. Not to mention his defensive game is iffy.
He was a monster u16 player in Russia, but I'm not sold on his upside moving forward. He's not WJC quality at the moment. Maybe next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flynn84

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
17 year-olds don’t make the Russian roster unless they are top tier. Svechnikov was the first in awhile (I think Provorov was the last before him).

Podkolzin is talented but not on that level.

I like the roster of OP.

Just Koltygin ... meh. He wins face offs, I guess that might give him a chance.

Podkolzin was the most dominant player on any team in the Hlinka tournament, on two occasions going the length of the ice through the entire Swedish And American teams to score critical 3rd period goals. I'm not at all convinced that he is less talented than Svechnikov, and I definitely think he has more talent than Provorov, who is outstanding but not great.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Podkolzin was the most dominant player on any team in the Hlinka tournament, on two occasions going the length of the ice through the entire Swedish And American teams to score critical 3rd period goals. I'm not at all convinced that he is less talented than Svechnikov, and I definitely think he has more talent than Provorov, who is outstanding but not great.

Raymond was better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->