WJC: Russia 2019 Roster Talk | Mod Note in OP

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Things and thoughts have cooled off a bit, maybe it's time for some guessing again.

So, as it was already mentioned, Bragin told that he is likely going with Top9+Bottom3 at FWs with 13th FW as a possibility.

Top9:
Iirc, in Bragin's Top 9 there isn't that much difference at which line is the first and which is the third, so I won't distinguish those too.

Yaremchuk-Shen-Starkov
Just because you don't change what is working well.

Chekhovich-Khovanov-Kravtsov
Khovanov was really impressive at the Series bringing to the table what you need in every zone, quite some progress here. Chekhovich was expected to be good and he was good there, but as for the RW position I placed Kravtsov here instead of Zavgorodniy, just because you have to place him somewhere, although I actually think that he can upgrade this line. Also initially I thought that Lipanov coud be given another chance here too, but judging by Bragin's recent comments it was enough even for him.

Kostin-Anokhovskiy-Kovalenko
Anokhovskiy and Kovalenko chemistry is a known value and for the LW it would make sense to try Kostin - just because you need to place him somewhere and I think it is possible to make the required adjustments for him to be in sync with the chemistry of Loko guys. The big question here is if Anokhovskiy can get healthy in time, as he is still healing his ankle and the ETA is in the second week of December, if not I'd say Koltygin might be the right guy to replace him.

4th Line:
Classic Bragin's 4th line usually consists of two two-way guys and someone fast and able to create something out of nothing.

Muranov-Morozov-Slepets
Bragin was quite clear on Muranov by comparing him to Telegin and saying that you need guys like him on the team. With Slepets we have just the type of guy Bragin usually likes to have on these lines - fast and creative. Due to Slepets inconsistency I can't call him a lock though (and there are guys like Nikolayev or even Filin who can be good at that role too), but I'd say he is the favourite to take that spot. Probably putting Morozov on the roster might be unobvious to say the least, but there are two reasons for that: 1. he was really solid at the 4 Nations tournament 2. he is right-handed, which is a deficit stuff for us, so that puts him ahead of other centers.

Possible 13th FW: Denisenko
While it makes sense to go with a more versatile player as the 13th FW I think we need a right-handed sniping guy more (as otherwise the powerplay will be screwed again), so it was Denisenko over Zavgorodniy here for me due to the natural talent. Also while Denisenko is a headcase, I don't think he can make too much damage at 13th FW position.

Defense
Similarly to FWs there is usually not much difference between top three pairings, so I think Bragin will distribute the top guys (Alexeyev, Samorukov, Morozov) between those lines.

Samorukov-Rubinchik
This pairing played together at U18 level, was reunited again at the Series and was looking fine, so not much sense in breaking it.

Morozov-Malyshev

And this pairing was looking really interesting at the 4 Nations. Again, might be not obvious what Malyshev is doing here, but I think he is basically the only realistic right-handed D option still available, would be good to have someone right-handed on the D at least for the PP purpose.

Olshanskiy-Alexeyev

Olshanskiy was looking very confident while orchestrating the PP at the Series, but also showed how you can basically single-handedly lose a game due to his errors. Hopefully Alexeyev is good enough to compensate that.

Zhuravlyov
Decent reliability and versatility here in Zhuravlyov, which makes him a pretty good candidate for the 7th D position.

Possible 8th D: Romanov
To be honest, the idea of having both Olshanskiy and Romanov on the same WJC team really makes me nervous due to their error-proneness, but if we're going with 8 Ds then I'm not sure if there's a stronger candidate (ok, there's also Baranov, but is he really an improvement over Romanov?).

Goalies

Tarasov
Kochetkov
Ustimenko

It is totally clear who will take WJC goalie roster spots, but it is quite unclear in which order it will be. I'd say Tarasov is still the main candidate for the starter's spot, but between Kochetkov and Ustimenko it is a coin toss.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
If AlexAlex ends up on the third pairing RD, thats gonna be some potential wasted...

Wouldn't expect anything more from Bragin though,

But again, in Bragin's system there is no difference between first and third - earlier there was the icetime posted and you can see that basically the only difference between them is the PP time. And in my pairings I also could easily put Samorukov's line as a third or second or whatever - the order here doesn't exactly mean anything.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But again, in Bragin's system there is no difference between first and third - earlier there was the icetime posted and you can see that basically the only difference between them is the PP time. And in my pairings I also could easily put Samorukov's line as a third or second or whatever - the order here doesn't exactly mean anything.
Fair enough.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
Why everyone thinks that Ustimenko deserves a spot on the team? His numbers have been getting worse and worse. He still plays in the MHL without any VHL or KHL call-ups. His SV% is 38th in the frikin MHL while Tarasov, Kochetkov and Miftakhov are younger and already play in the VHL. Even Ustimenko's back-up on the Dynamo St. Petersburg team has a way better numbers than him:
Makar Chufarov 11 games, GAA 1.47, SV% .936
Kirill Ustimenko 23 games, GAA 2.16, SV% .910

Looks like Phillys drafted the wrong goalie again. They should have taken Tarasov who was spectacular at the Super series and went just 6 picks later after Ustimenko.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Things and thoughts have cooled off a bit, maybe it's time for some guessing again.

So, as it was already mentioned, Bragin told that he is likely going with Top9+Bottom3 at FWs with 13th FW as a possibility.

Top9:
Iirc, in Bragin's Top 9 there isn't that much difference at which line is the first and which is the third, so I won't distinguish those too.

Yaremchuk-Shen-Starkov
Just because you don't change what is working well.

Chekhovich-Khovanov-Kravtsov
Khovanov was really impressive at the Series bringing to the table what you need in every zone, quite some progress here. Chekhovich was expected to be good and he was good there, but as for the RW position I placed Kravtsov here instead of Zavgorodniy, just because you have to place him somewhere, although I actually think that he can upgrade this line. Also initially I thought that Lipanov coud be given another chance here too, but judging by Bragin's recent comments it was enough even for him.

Kostin-Anokhovskiy-Kovalenko
Anokhovskiy and Kovalenko chemistry is a known value and for the LW it would make sense to try Kostin - just because you need to place him somewhere and I think it is possible to make the required adjustments for him to be in sync with the chemistry of Loko guys. The big question here is if Anokhovskiy can get healthy in time, as he is still healing his ankle and the ETA is in the second week of December, if not I'd say Koltygin might be the right guy to replace him.

4th Line:
Classic Bragin's 4th line usually consists of two two-way guys and someone fast and able to create something out of nothing.

Muranov-Morozov-Slepets
Bragin was quite clear on Muranov by comparing him to Telegin and saying that you need guys like him on the team. With Slepets we have just the type of guy Bragin usually likes to have on these lines - fast and creative. Due to Slepets inconsistency I can't call him a lock though (and there are guys like Nikolayev or even Filin who can be good at that role too), but I'd say he is the favourite to take that spot. Probably putting Morozov on the roster might be unobvious to say the least, but there are two reasons for that: 1. he was really solid at the 4 Nations tournament 2. he is right-handed, which is a deficit stuff for us, so that puts him ahead of other centers.

Possible 13th FW: Denisenko
While it makes sense to go with a more versatile player as the 13th FW I think we need a right-handed sniping guy more (as otherwise the powerplay will be screwed again), so it was Denisenko over Zavgorodniy here for me due to the natural talent. Also while Denisenko is a headcase, I don't think he can make too much damage at 13th FW position.

Defense
Similarly to FWs there is usually not much difference between top three pairings, so I think Bragin will distribute the top guys (Alexeyev, Samorukov, Morozov) between those lines.

Samorukov-Rubinchik
This pairing played together at U18 level, was reunited again at the Series and was looking fine, so not much sense in breaking it.

Morozov-Malyshev

And this pairing was looking really interesting at the 4 Nations. Again, might be not obvious what Malyshev is doing here, but I think he is basically the only realistic right-handed D option still available, would be good to have someone right-handed on the D at least for the PP purpose.

Olshanskiy-Alexeyev

Olshanskiy was looking very confident while orchestrating the PP at the Series, but also showed how you can basically single-handedly lose a game due to his errors. Hopefully Alexeyev is good enough to compensate that.

Zhuravlyov
Decent reliability and versatility here in Zhuravlyov, which makes him a pretty good candidate for the 7th D position.

Possible 8th D: Romanov
To be honest, the idea of having both Olshanskiy and Romanov on the same WJC team really makes me nervous due to their error-proneness, but if we're going with 8 Ds then I'm not sure if there's a stronger candidate (ok, there's also Baranov, but is he really an improvement over Romanov?).

Goalies

Tarasov
Kochetkov
Ustimenko

It is totally clear who will take WJC goalie roster spots, but it is quite unclear in which order it will be. I'd say Tarasov is still the main candidate for the starter's spot, but between Kochetkov and Ustimenko it is a coin toss.

Good insights, but I can't see Yaremchuk making it despite that line clicking. I think Denisenko is a better option. I also don't see what Morozov brings that someone like Galimov or Koltigin can't do. In fact just based on his usage during the series I'm pretty certain Galimov will get a look on this team. Still think you have to look at Kravtsov or Kostin down the middle because that is a considerable hole in the lineup if you're lining up with Shen or Khovanov as your #1 center. Still think Shashkov's got a chance too.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Why everyone thinks that Ustimenko deserves a spot on the team? His numbers have been getting worse and worse. He still plays in the MHL without any VHL or KHL call-ups. His SV% is 38th in the frikin MHL while Tarasov, Kochetkov and Miftakhov are younger and already play in the VHL. Even Ustimenko's back-up on the Dynamo St. Petersburg team has a way better numbers than him:
Makar Chufarov 11 games, GAA 1.47, SV% .936
Kirill Ustimenko 23 games, GAA 2.16, SV% .910

Looks like Phillys drafted the wrong goalie again. They should have taken Tarasov who was spectacular at the Super series and went just 6 picks later after Ustimenko.

Possibly because Bragin basically said so. Actually, while he doesn't have a great MHL season (possibly just demotivated because of having to be stuck in the MHL due to his contract), he still brings his usual consistent game to the U20 NT. And, of course, having ethnic Belorussians on the team is a great tradition and should be continued.

Good insights, but I can't see Yaremchuk making it despite that line clicking. I think Denisenko is a better option. I also don't see what Morozov brings that someone like Galimov or Koltigin can't do. In fact just based on his usage during the series I'm pretty certain Galimov will get a look on this team. Still think you have to look at Kravtsov or Kostin down the middle because that is a considerable hole in the lineup if you're lining up with Shen or Khovanov as your #1 center. Still think Shashkov's got a chance too.

I actually think Yaremchuk is underrated: while I also see him as a third guy there on that line, he did a lot of important things, especially in the beginning phase of the attacks. Denisenko doesn't look like a good replacement for him, as he is just of a different style, and chemistry would need to be redeveloped, Chekhovich could be a better suitable replacement then i think.

About Morozov Vs. Koltygin I don't think much separates them now, basically just Morozov being right-handed. Comparing to Galimov I didn't like that Galimov looked totally lost in the attacking zone, but again, just for the 4th line's defensive duties he would be fine i guess.

About Kostin and Kravtsov they played 0 and 2.5 games at center respectively on a more or less serious level, not exactly a great way to address the center issue, imo. Then I'd rather remember about the center experience of Slepets, Yaremchuk and Denisenko.

Reactions: greasysnapper

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If AlexAlex ends up on the third pairing RD, thats gonna be some potential wasted...

Wouldn't expect anything more from Bragin though,
It's not NA. We don't have that stern 1st to last mentality. There is no such thing as a 1st or 3rd pairing here.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's not NA. We don't have that stern 1st to last mentality. There is no such thing as a 1st or 3rd pairing here.

Lets hope youre right, because Ive seen enough AlexAlex to know hes a gamebreaker and the team should be built around him, rather than an afterthought.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
Possibly because Bragin basically said so. Actually, while he doesn't have a great MHL season (possibly just demotivated because of having to be stuck in the MHL due to his contract), he still brings his usual consistent game to the U20 NT. And, of course, having ethnic Belorussians on the team is a great tradition and should be continued.
1.He has contract with Dinamo St.P. and last time I checked they also have a team in the VHL, but he's never played a game there. The guy is almost 20 and still has to face a grown man in competitive game.
2. He was so consistent for the U20 NT that they didn't take him to the Superseries.
3. The only time Russia had an ethnic Belrusian at U20 WJC was a couple years ago when you finished 3rd with Karnaukhov on the roster.
The only visible reason to take him is the fact that he plays with Pavel Rotenberg on the same team.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
1.He has contract with Dinamo St.P. and last time I checked they also have a team in the VHL, but he's never played a game there. The guy is almost 20 and still has to face a grown man in competitive game.
2. He was so consistent for the U20 NT that they didn't take him to the Superseries.
3. The only time Russia had an ethnic Belrusian at U20 WJC was a couple years ago when you finished 3rd with Karnaukhov on the roster.
The only visible reason to take him is the fact that he plays with Pavel Rotenberg on the same team.

1. Dynamo is Vityaz's VHL affiliate and Ustimenko is Salavat's prospect, so there's no goalie spots remaining for him.
2. You can't take everyone to the Series, guys like Kravtsov also weren't there. At the 4 Nations he was consistent (btw, especially comparing to the aforementioned Miftakhov).
3. I wasn't too serious on that one, it's just a bit of a wishful thinking from another ethnic Belorussian. :)

That's a bizarre philosophy.

It is bizarre only when you're spoiled with good Ds. Imagine that you're a coach and you have only 3 quality Ds on your team: you can either load them to top pairings and close your eyes when the 3rd pairing comes to the ice or you can distribute those good Ds among all the pairings and hope that it will balance it out. So we're talking about the second option here.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
That's a bizarre philosophy.
Having designated pairings is more bizarre and due to the spread out talent in the NHL. Though many NHL teams don't have that pattern. Many shift defencemen through the pairings.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
1. Dynamo is Vityaz's VHL affiliate and Ustimenko is Salavat's prospect, so there's no goalie spots remaining for him.
2. You can't take everyone to the Series, guys like Kravtsov also weren't there. At the 4 Nations he was consistent (btw, especially comparing to the aforementioned Miftakhov).
3. I wasn't too serious on that one, it's just a bit of a wishful thinking from another ethnic Belorussian. :)
Ok. That KHL/VHL/MHL affiliation thing is too complicated for me. But now he doesn't play even for his MHL team. He gave up 4 goals on 24 shots against Riga and 5 goals on 28 shots against SKA, after that he's been serving as a back-up for the next 3 games in a row. That gonna be laughable if he makes a U20 NT after that.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Ok. That KHL/VHL/MHL affiliation thing is too complicated for me. But now he doesn't play even for his MHL team. He gave up 4 goals on 24 shots against Riga and 5 goals on 28 shots against SKA, after that he's been serving as a back-up for the next 3 games in a row. That gonna be laughable if he makes a U20 NT after that.

You can laugh if you want, of course, but it totally sounds he will be there unless he will be awful at the camp. And again, I'm not saying he is having a great season (not an awful either though), but again - he has played for the U20 NT in 4 tournaments now and I don't think he had a single bad game (at least I can't remember any) - if he continues like that, no one really cares how he looks in the MHL.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Is podkolzin getting a look

Bragin's "19-year olds only" philosophy will be accepted as long as it produces results. Results like last year should force him to expand his options a bit. Svechnikov played last year, and was one of the few players who, at least occasionally, looked dangerous. Exceptional talents like Svechnikov and Podkolzin possess capabilities that non-exceptional talents can't match. Podkolzin might be virtually worthless in the defensive zone, but there are times when they will need goals! Take advantage of him while you can, because next year, like Svechnikov, he may be "unavailable."

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Bragin's "19-year olds only" philosophy will be accepted as long as it produces results. Results like last year should force him to expand his options a bit. Svechnikov played last year, and was one of the few players who, at least occasionally, looked dangerous. Exceptional talents like Svechnikov and Podkolzin possess capabilities that non-exceptional talents can't match. Podkolzin might be virtually worthless in the defensive zone, but there are times when they will need goals! Take advantage of him while you can, because next year, like Svechnikov, he may be "unavailable."

He doesn't have that policy he's used a number of 18 year olds... he'll use them IF they're capable. Kostin played at 17. Provorov played at 17. It's not like he'd be like OH NO, I'M NOT TAKING THE BEST PLAYER BECAUSE THEY AREN'T 18. That's stupid. But he will lean towards the older players if there isn't a gap.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
He doesn't have that policy he's used a number of 18 year olds... he'll use them IF they're capable. Kostin played at 17. Provorov played at 17. It's not like he'd be like OH NO, I'M NOT TAKING THE BEST PLAYER BECAUSE THEY AREN'T 18. That's stupid. But he will lean towards the older players if there isn't a gap.

You missed the context of my post and took me much too literally. Of course, Bragin never published an article in SportExpress stating categorically "Under no circumstances will I ever put a player younger than 19 on the roster, even if it has been proven that he is already the greatest hockey player in the history of the world!" What we have been discussing is his tendency to always load up on 19-year olds instead of taking the risk of trying younger players. That is simply a fact that you would have to concede if you did the research.

Reactions: Wings4Life

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Kostin was 18 when he played at WJC.

So far, only Provorov and A.Svechnikov have made the roster as 17-year-olds under Bragin. So yes, it takes a lot.

18-year-olds make it more often, but I don’t remember a single roster under Bragin where the number of underagers even came close.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Any chance Matvey Guskov gets a look?

Highly unlikely. Bragin has only picked two 17 year olds for this tournament, and that was Provorov and Svechnikov. If Guskov was in serious consideration, he would've been at the Super-Series, and he wasn't.

Its more likely that Podkolzin would be the 17 year old picked this year, and I don't think thats going to happen either. Bragin has passed up on adding many very good 17 year olds to Russia's roster over the years, which I think has hurt their results.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Outside chance for a 3rd-4th line role could be Marchenko, I know he's played a little for the national team this year. The only reason I think he's got a shot is his size. Outside of Kostin there isn't a lot of size along the wings.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Outside chance for a 3rd-4th line role could be Marchenko, I know he's played a little for the national team this year. The only reason I think he's got a shot is his size. Outside of Kostin there isn't a lot of size along the wings.
Isn’t Kravtsov the same height as Kostin?
Also, how are Kravtsov’s chances playing center in the WJC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad