WJC: Russia 2019 Roster Talk | Mod Note in OP

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Podkolzin was the most dominant player on any team in the Hlinka tournament, on two occasions going the length of the ice through the entire Swedish And American teams to score critical 3rd period goals. I'm not at all convinced that he is less talented than Svechnikov, and I definitely think he has more talent than Provorov, who is outstanding but not great.
Provorov is in a Doughty mold. That's not great?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Provorov is in a Doughty mold. That's not great?

In my opinion, Provorov is very good, but not great. If you are suggesting that he deserves to be called great, provide some support for your opinion. Please don't obviously overblow it by using praise that is not justified based on actual accomplishments!

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
In my opinion, Provorov is very good, but not great. If you are suggesting that he deserves to be called great, provide some support for your opinion. Please don't obviously overblow it by using praise that is not justified based on actual accomplishments!
15/16 - CHL Defenseman of the Year
16/17 - #1D at 20 years old (21:56 average) and Flyers Defenseman of the Year (Barry Ashbee Trophy)
17/18 - NHL most goals by Defenseman (17) and only defenseman in the top 30 for points with less than 15% coming from the PP (1st is Provorov at 12% and the 2nd is Dumba at 24%)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Obviously he is quite young and it's too early to give a qualified evaluation of a career, so there is still a lot of guessing and projecting, but to keep it factual and supporting my comparison Drew Doughty who by many was called the best D-man in the league right now has scored 27 pts in the season in which he turned 20. Provorov scored 30 and lead the league in goals scored by a defenceman in the next scoring 41 pts as opposed to Doughty's 57 pts which though was his breakout and his best season ever since. Is that an actual accomplishment you could relate to?

Yes, Provorov is off to a slow start in the first six games so far. Is that a sample size to call quits on high expectations and call him good, but not great already?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
15/16 - CHL Defenseman of the Year
16/17 - #1D at 20 years old (21:56 average) and Flyers Defenseman of the Year (Barry Ashbee Trophy)
17/18 - NHL most goals by Defenseman (17) and only defenseman in the top 30 for points with less than 15% coming from the PP (1st is Provorov at 12% and the 2nd is Dumba at 24%)

Great??

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Although I'm seriously souring on Lipanov, if WJC was today, Bragin's team probably resembles the following locks.

X - Shen - Kravtsov
X - Lipanov - Kostin
X - Anokhovsky - Kovalenko
X - X - X

Alexeyev - Samorukov
Morozov - X
X - X
X - X

Tarasov
X
X

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Has the Russian roster(s) been released somewhere?

Nope, just, if I understood correctly, the QMJHL announced their players to play for Team Russia.

Although I'm seriously souring on Lipanov, if WJC was today, Bragin's team probably resembles the following locks.

X - Shen - Kravtsov
X - Lipanov - Kostin
X - Anokhovsky - Kovalenko
X - X - X

Alexeyev - Samorukov
Morozov - X
X - X
X - X

Tarasov
X
X

Well, more or less your version is the same as mine, although I'd say Maksimov and Chekhovich are very strong candidates as well. Maksimov is basically the only right-handed sniper candidate (ok, there are also Morozov and Denisenko, but they are 2000 borns, so Bragin will take them only if they're too good), which is critical for the PP. And Chekhovich, as I've already mentioned couple of times here, just because he has been very good. Also about goalies, it's hard for me to imagine that, if WJC would start today, Ustimenko wouldn't be there.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don’t know why you think all of those are “locks”.

To me, Kravtsov is the only lock.

I don't know, to me it's pretty hard to imagine that guys like Kostin, Samorukov and Alexeyev don't have roster spots reserved for them already. Not to mention that Zine's post was about 'if WJC is tomorrow'.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Surprised they haven’t named the rosters for the super series yet…

Here’s the preliminary roster for the Russian based players. There will be a handful of cuts before the remaining players will travel to Canada to be joined by the CHLers.

Goaltenders
Pyotr Kochetkov
Daniil Tarasov
Kirill Ustimenko
Defensemen
Venyamin Baranov
Danila Galenyuk
Yevgeny Kalabushkin
Alexander Lyakhov
Savely Olshansky
Mark Pavlikov
Alexander Romanov
Mark Rubinchik
Artyom Volkov
Daniil Zhuravlyov
Forwards
Nikita Anokhovsky
Artyom Galimov
Yevgeny Kanitsky
Kirill Marchenko
Maxim Marushev
Ivan Morozov
Ivan Muranov
Artyom Nikolayev
Bulat Shafigullin
Nikita Shashkov
Pavel Shen
Kirill Slepets
Stepan Starkov
Vladislav Tsitsyura
Alexander Yaremchuk

CHL
Ivan Prosvetov
Alexander Alexeyev
Dmitry Samorukov
Ivan Chekhovich
Alexander Khovanov
Pavel Koltygin
Kirill Maximov
Alexei Toropchenko
Dmitry Zavgorodny

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Shashkov made it to prelims. This kids going to not only make the team but get drafted.

Couple names I have no idea about are:

Vladislav Tsitsyura
Alexander Yaremchuk
Artyom Volkov

Any info here or are they fringe players for the WJC?

I could have just not noticed before but do we see 21 year olds (Artyom Volkov, possibly more, maybe there's another one?) at the super series?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Shashkov made it to prelims. This kids going to not only make the team but get drafted.

Couple names I have no idea about are:

Vladislav Tsitsyura
Alexander Yaremchuk
Artyom Volkov

Any info here or are they fringe players for the WJC?

I could have just not noticed before but do we see 21 year olds (Artyom Volkov, possibly more, maybe there's another one?) at the super series?

That's a different Artyom Volkov: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/340196/artyom-volkov

About Tsitsyura, he can win faceoffs, is decent in a two-way game and can contribute to offense from time to time, so he is competing for a 4th line center spot.

Yaremchuk is skilled, yet responsible winger (played mosty LW so far in the NT, but can play C too), so far has been productive in the NT in different tournaments, but again, probably not a candidate for top lines (athough who knows, Kravtsov line's LW roster spot is still open).

Reactions: greasysnapper

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
The guy I was hoping to see big things from Shashkov has been rather so-so in the Canada Russia series (in fact he didn't even play in the OHL game), but the guy really impressing me is Starkov. He's playing quite well, and certainly raising his stock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad