WJC: Russia 2019 Roster Talk | Mod Note in OP

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I agree with Blitz Snipe. It seems that the USA, Finland and Sweden have an advantage in playing a team game that it is becoming increasingly difficult for Russia to overcome. They are loaded with talent, but Canada is somewhat in the same boat as Russia in lacking that "national team development" structure (in the USA, it was developed in the late 1980's to, ironically, counter the Soviet advantage in structured team play). Canadians play junior hockey under varying coaching systems, and don't neatly fit into a fixed structure either. I would love to see a return to the Soviet-style national team concept because it was so beautiful to watch. We were on the right track with a U18 national team a couple of years ago, and then abandoned it for unexplained reasons (other than the silly heart pill crisis). The RHF must recognize emerging trends and be flexible enough to counter them.

I think Bragin has sort of "had his day". He's been in there since 2011, which was a great victory, but 8 years with no Gold, that's not a result befitting Team Russia. As far as the RIHF is concerned, many Russian commentators criticize it for possible corruption and an inflexible development system. For all I know, it could be true. Finland has won the tournament 3 times in the past 6 years, and has had 5 coaches during this time span. Thus, I have the impression that the system there is more flexible and "willing to learn" and experiment to find the proper style of play. Bragin, on the other hand, can't seem to get the "rambo" mentality out of the boys. Yes, it works against weaker teams. But it doesn't do it against the strongest ones. Apparently, Bragin's still got his contract for next year. Unfortunately, this probably means a similar result.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I agree with Blitz Snipe. It seems that the USA, Finland and Sweden have an advantage in playing a team game that it is becoming increasingly difficult for Russia to overcome. They are loaded with talent, but Canada is somewhat in the same boat as Russia in lacking that "national team development" structure (in the USA, it was developed in the late 1980's to, ironically, counter the Soviet advantage in structured team play). Canadians play junior hockey under varying coaching systems, and don't neatly fit into a fixed structure either. I would love to see a return to the Soviet-style national team concept because it was so beautiful to watch. We were on the right track with a U18 national team a couple of years ago, and then abandoned it for unexplained reasons (other than the silly heart pill crisis). The RHF must recognize emerging trends and be flexible enough to counter them.

"Must" is a such a nice word :). I hope there are at least some people around the leading RIHF figures, coaches, etc. who voice critical views. It's never good when a system is self-contented and unwilling to progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad