Running the goalie

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
By saying this, you admit that "running and whacking" the goaltender makes you a *****, right?

If the puck is open in the crease you bet your bottom dollar that I will try and dig it out to pot a goal. But still I think that is different from intentionally going out and trying to knock over the goaltender and just being a dick on the ice who tries to injure another player. A goaltender has the puck or the whistle blows - I won't go after the puck but until I lose sight of the puck I will dig for it.

There is honour in being a pest though... hardest working players on the ice are those who don't score the fancy goals and hang out around center ice. When I played I was always hanging out in front of the net and then busting my *** back when the puck went the other way.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I should point out that there is a huge difference though between being a pest in front of the net and getting the goaltender off his game that way and running the goaltender in an attempt to injure him in any way shape or form. There is nothing wrong with standing in front of the net and taking a beating in order to provide a screen, get the rebound/tip or even just irritate the goaltender. It isn't the fanciest thing to do I agree, but when I played organized hockey I was never the best player, I will never say I was the best player, but I always left everything I had on the ice and worked my *** off in order to help my team. If I couldn't do that through the dekes and skilled played your damn right I would do that through being the guy at the top of the crease.

You may say that I couldn't play - I say I played as good and as hard as I could given my abilities.... that being said there is a huge difference between being a pest and being a p-rick. A p-rick tries to injure someone a pest realizes it is just a game.

The first thing you need to remember about any league of this type is that all the players out there have to get up the next day and go to work to support themselves and most also have families. Having some jerk who delights in running and slashing a goalie out on the ice is going to lead to problems. I have no issues with guys digging for the puck when it's loose in the crease, but when it's covered, the poking ends. When you get whacked 3 or 4 seconds after the puck is covered, that's uncalled for, not to mention a penalty, whistle or not. When that happens, I will usually respond with a similar whack to the calf or the ankle, just to show my appreciation. I have no issues with a player that parks in front of me, who just plays hard, totally different scenario there. Those are the guys that my D-men better be taking care. I respect the guys who play hard, who have to work all game long. It's the guys that have the attitude
The absolute best part about being a SOB in front of the net is running and whacking the goaltender so much that they take a swing at you and get a minor.
that have no idea what the game is about and have no business being in an "adult" league.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I agree completely on that part - in fact if it is an adult rec league and someone has their head down coming down the ice I make a special concerted effort not to hit them in the noggen or do anything which could lead to an injury just because it is just a game for fun. I would rather miss a check than have someone laid up for a week unable to work. It is an adult beer league and the recreation takes center stage being able to crack open a couple beer after the game with the opposing team is what it is all about.

getting under the opponents skin is one thing - injuring an opponent is another thing.

All that being said some goaltenders do some very cheap unprovoked things in hacking the ankles and attacking the testicles.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
All that being said some goaltenders do some very cheap unprovoked things in hacking the ankles and attacking the testicles.

There's a fair share of cheap players on both sides of the coin, to be sure.

My favourite is when a guy on my team runs the opposing goalie (intentional or not), so the other teams decides to get even by going after me. Re-freaking-diculous.

A shutout to boot! Nice!!! :handclap:

The hell of it was I got to the game late, had a terrible warm-up, and was feeling really shaky on my first couple of saves. This guy tries a wrap-around to the stick side and I whipped my stick around got the puck, tripped him and made him mad. He runs at me and wakes me up.

I still think if he would half left me alone we would have lost. After the run-in I just blocked out everything and really bore down on the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad