Running the goalie

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
I understand the headgames but running over the goalie is just ugly. Many times the goalie is in pretty voulnerable position after he made the save and running over him or pushing the defensman on him can cause serious injury. And winning by intentionally injuring the opponents goalie is pathetic.:shakehead

Ala... Carolina Hurricanes!

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
If you insist on defending yourself because your defensemen don't want to or won't, fine.

I guess you have to do what you have to do right? This oil can move however, that's crossing the line.

It's like groin punching. Men don't do that. Be a man and defend yourself properly.

ok so we'll put you in the same position we're in... We'll push you down, grab your leg and fold it behind you and jump on top of it. A stick to the nuts won't hurt as much as a torn ligament(s) in your knee.

KariyaIsGod*

I do (as already mentioned).

But people in this thread are condoning cheap shots against the goaltender. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

Why are cheap shots against the goaltender okay, but cheap shots from the goaltender not allowed?

If you want to retaliate with a cheap shot, fine.

A blocker to the back of the head is cheap.

Don't be hitting folks in the groin though.

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
ok so we'll put you in the same position we're in... We'll push you down, grab your leg and fold it behind you and jump on top of it. A stick to the nuts won't hurt as much as a torn ligament(s) in your knee.

See, when I read about stuff like you're commentating on..

It reminds me of the idiotic goalies who snap at players standing in front of them. I've taken more than my share of cheap shots from a 'tender for no reason other than being close to him, including several moves very similar to the checking the oil manuever that's been recommended.

I figure the second there are goalies bringing up idea's like this, then they're focusing on that at several points throughout the game, not just to protect themselves.

I've never ran a goalie. Have I made contact? Yup. Usually been thrown in by a defenseman, that's his problem, not mine. Do I dig at the puck and stand in front of you and make your life a living hell? Better believe it, but if you're one of those goalies who has to resort to chopping at the back of my legs and trying to sack me - well, you're pathetic, and I hope I play you because I always have more fun sliding the puck past you after you've tried some of that **** and giving a few choice words for your trouble.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
If you want to retaliate with a cheap shot, fine.

A blocker to the back of the head is cheap.

Don't be hitting folks in the groin though.

If you're cheap shotting people, don't try to take the high road and tell other people which cheap shots are "okay" and which aren't.

Cheap shots are cheap shots. If you're going to play that game in the first place, you don't get to set the rules any more.

And for what it's worth, I don't do cheap shots.

See, when I read about stuff like you're commentating on..

It reminds me of the idiotic goalies who snap at players standing in front of them. I've taken more than my share of cheap shots from a 'tender for no reason other than being close to him, including several moves very similar to the checking the oil manuever that's been recommended.

I figure the second there are goalies bringing up idea's like this, then they're focusing on that at several points throughout the game, not just to protect themselves.

I've never ran a goalie. Have I made contact? Yup. Usually been thrown in by a defenseman, that's his problem, not mine. Do I dig at the puck and stand in front of you and make your life a living hell? Better believe it, but if you're one of those goalies who has to resort to chopping at the back of my legs and trying to sack me - well, you're pathetic, and I hope I play you because I always have more fun sliding the puck past you after you've tried some of that **** and giving a few choice words for your trouble.

Fair enough. It stands to reason that if there are idiotic players there are idiotic goalies too. I know the some of the guys you're talking about who seem to feel that anything within 3 feet of the crease is their domain and you're not allowed in. And they trip, hook and slash any and all who "trespass." Not to say that these morons are fair game because no goalie should be, but in a lot of cases these guys bring it on themselves. And many of the things my brethren have posted here are in retaliation to being run. If a goalie strikes first... well feel free to turn around and deck him, he deserves it. But don't run him when he's in an awkward position after making a save. And if my defenceman dumps a forward on me I yell at the d-man. He should be between you and me in the first place.

Again in a ideal world the refs should be defending the crease and discouraging the hacking and slashing by being consistent with their whistles. If the refs are slow with the whistles the players are arguably able to keep after the puck. Unfortunately even NHL refs are notably lax in this department, it would be the dream of a seriously deluded individual to hope that beer league refs will call this stuff.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
You're already of the opinion that goalies should "let the players handle it".

I would never do the move in question, because I prefer a more direct approach.

But when a large portion of this thread is populated by neanderthals who think that running the goalie (in a recreational league) is either effective or funny, it's plainly obvious that defending oneself should be an option.

Don't forget the Neanderthals that enjoy smashing in people's trachia's with a punch to the throat with a blocker, and enjoy watching them get pulled off the ice in a stretcher with oxygen mask hoping they get brain damage.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Don't forget the Neanderthals that enjoy smashing in people's trachia's with a punch to the throat with a blocker, and enjoy watching them get pulled off the ice in a stretcher with oxygen mask hoping they get brain damage.

What exactly are you looking for here?

Look - there are *******s everywhere. But it seems to me that a large segment of people here are saying "well, if others are going to be jerks, I'm going to be one, too".

And that's the problem.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I didn't say that I'd do it for no reason. If someone is being an a-hole I'm going to be one back. If you stand in front of me the most you're gonna get is maybe a push. I have no problem with you doing what you're supposed to do(slapping at a loose puck for example) but if you charge into me no reason you better believe I'm going to be pissed.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The absolute best part about being a SOB in front of the net is running and whacking the goaltender so much that they take a swing at you and get a minor.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Anyone who runs a goalie EVER is a pathetic little boy. Even in full-contact hockey. If you don't have the SKILLS to score a goal, deal with it. If the only way you can feel adequate is to attempt to hurt another player, you are a wimp. It's easy to hurt someone. What's hard is the work you have to put in to actually become good at the game.

Thankfully, these days I play in a league where everyone knows each other pretty well, so nothing too much happens except to the same 4 or 5 guys every year. They hit a goalie or someone and either get their a**es handed to them, or suspended for the rest of the year. And then we are done with the crappy players.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Those that can, play. Those that can't, hack, slash, run their mouthes and the goalies. That seems to sum it up.:yo:

:clap:

Sums it up perfectly.

It's fun to see the clowns who run goalies and slash get their butts handed to them by a smaller, but BETTER player. It happens once or twice in every tournament I've ever played in. Skill beats goonery every time, even if it is NOT on the ice!

:clap:

Sums it up perfectly.

It's fun to see the clowns who run goalies and slash get their butts handed to them by a smaller, but BETTER player. It happens once or twice in every tournament I've ever played in. Skill beats goonery every time, even if it is NOT on the ice!

My teammates certainly seemed to get a kick out of seeing a mouthy piece of trash who is about 5'11 try and run me when I went out to play the puck. I saw him coming and I'm 6'4 and 240 without gear. I was standing; he was on his backside in a hurry and the guys on my bench were howling. I could hear them at the far end and they gave that guy the gears the whole rest of the game. Me? I didn't say a word. Didn't have to. We won 3-0.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I should point out that there is a huge difference though between being a pest in front of the net and getting the goaltender off his game that way and running the goaltender in an attempt to injure him in any way shape or form. There is nothing wrong with standing in front of the net and taking a beating in order to provide a screen, get the rebound/tip or even just irritate the goaltender. It isn't the fanciest thing to do I agree, but when I played organized hockey I was never the best player, I will never say I was the best player, but I always left everything I had on the ice and worked my *** off in order to help my team. If I couldn't do that through the dekes and skilled played your damn right I would do that through being the guy at the top of the crease.

You may say that I couldn't play - I say I played as good and as hard as I could given my abilities.... that being said there is a huge difference between being a pest and being a p-rick. A p-rick tries to injure someone a pest realizes it is just a game.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I should point out that there is a huge difference though between being a pest in front of the net and getting the goaltender off his game that way and running the goaltender in an attempt to injure him in any way shape or form. There is nothing wrong with standing in front of the net and taking a beating in order to provide a screen, get the rebound/tip or even just irritate the goaltender. It isn't the fanciest thing to do I agree, but when I played organized hockey I was never the best player, I will never say I was the best player, but I always left everything I had on the ice and worked my *** off in order to help my team. If I couldn't do that through the dekes and skilled played your damn right I would do that through being the guy at the top of the crease.

You may say that I couldn't play - I say I played as good and as hard as I could given my abilities.... that being said there is a huge difference between being a pest and being a p-rick. A p-rick tries to injure someone a pest realizes it is just a game.

Biiiiiiiiiiiingo.

Smartest person in this thread as far as I can tell right here.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
My teammates certainly seemed to get a kick out of seeing a mouthy piece of trash who is about 5'11 try and run me when I went out to play the puck. I saw him coming and I'm 6'4 and 240 without gear. I was standing; he was on his backside in a hurry and the guys on my bench were howling. I could hear them at the far end and they gave that guy the gears the whole rest of the game. Me? I didn't say a word. Didn't have to. We won 3-0.

A shutout to boot! Nice!!! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad