Running the goalie

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
Just wondering what other people do when a player runs the goalie, or gets in a whack or two on the goalie as he covers the puck.

Personally I always hate when people run into my goalie or get a whack in on him as he covers the puck or whatever. If a player gets in a whack I will let him know that is is unacceptable depending on whether I thought it was intentional or not. I expect the same kind of treatment from the other team if I am going for the puck and the goalie covers it but I catch him anyways.

The worst for me is when a player intentionally is taking cheap shots at my goalie after he has the puck covered and sometimes after the whistle has blown (this happened the other night in our playoff game and since it had been happening for the first two periods I had no choice but to lay him out with a good solid body check. Needless to say that he didn't take anymore cheap shots.)

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Resolve it in the most aggressive way possible without getting a penalty. The goalies who defend themselves are the best, though. It's always fun to see your goalie pounce to his skates and get right in the guys face.

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
Resolve it in the most aggressive way possible without getting a penalty. The goalies who defend themselves are the best, though. It's always fun to see your goalie pounce to his skates and get right in the guys face.

I love when they do that to me and get 2:00 in the box.

And then get my *** right back in their face

Don't let a guy like me near your goalie, it really does drive 'em nuts. Worst thing you can do is push him towards your goalie... that's just asking for bad things to happen.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
Ask the last team that took a dive at the goalie...who was me.....Their best player got a breakaway so i speared him to the ground, yet the puck found it's way in, i honestly didn't really care, he looked like he was in some pain....lol

KariyaIsGod*

Ask the last team that took a dive at the goalie...who was me.....Their best player got a breakaway so i speared him to the ground, yet the puck found it's way in, i honestly didn't really care, he looked like he was in some pain....lol

He gave you a little wack on the hand so you speared him on a breakaway???

Goalies...

I love goalies. They need to shut up and let their players sort it out.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
As a goalie, the thing I hate the most is when someone take a cheap shot at me after the whistle or when a player hit me with his stick. However, I have great teammate who solve the matter pretty fast :) . I try to stay focus and forget about it: I don't want to lose my concentration.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
He gave you a little wack on the hand so you speared him on a breakaway???

Goalies...

I love goalies. They need to shut up and let their players sort it out.

I know, we're crazy, but no he ran me and basically dismantled my neck...Well that's a little stretching it, but i honestly thought i was going to get hurt pretty badly, my helmet went off, and i smacked my head off the post.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Personally, If a player runs my goalie, I don't think about avoiding a penalty at all. I will usuall just sock them right in the face or throw them to the ice the best way possible. I find it's the best way to get the point accross. Of course from then on during game play sneak in as many shots as you can when the ref isn't looking. If you're a forward another option is to just run their goalie right back every time possible. That's my game at least. Kind of sleazy but usually gets the job done for the most part.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I love when they do that to me and get 2:00 in the box.

And then get my *** right back in their face

Don't let a guy like me near your goalie, it really does drive 'em nuts. Worst thing you can do is push him towards your goalie... that's just asking for bad things to happen.

Why, 'cause sloppy seconds is the only way you can score goals and get women?

Guys like you, don't get near guys like me, that's just asking for trouble ;)

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Why, 'cause sloppy seconds is the only way you can score goals and get women?

Guys like you, don't get near guys like me, that's just asking for trouble ;)
Usually try to avoid hitting or running into the opposing teams goalie. But if the puck is visible, I'm going straight towards the net and trying to jam it in. It really pisses me off when players and goalies whine and moan when we hack at a loose puck. I once got sucker punched straight on my jaw, for trying to put in a loose puck. Nearly got knocked at cold, and the Funny part was the guy was nearly a foot smaller then me. It's funny how peolpe can act tough when they have the ref's to protect them, but when you see them in the parking lot after the game, their the exact opposite and can't even look at you straight face to face.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
It really pisses me off when players and goalies whine and moan when we hack at a loose puck.

The pucks loose and the goalie is reaching to cover it, whats wrong with trying to force it in? is it against the rules? I understand if there is a whistle but if there is no whislte whats the problem? i honestly dont understand why guys get so mad mat me. I dont hack the goalie.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
anyone who runs a goalie should be given a 5 minute major

anyone who crosses the line and actually checks or intends to cause injury to a goalie should be suspended

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
Usually try to avoid hitting or running into the opposing teams goalie. But if the puck is visible, I'm going straight towards the net and trying to jam it in. It really pisses me off when players and goalies whine and moan when we hack at a loose puck.QUOTE]

I agree with poking at the puck trying it jam it in. I know the other team won't like it and I accept that. What I really dont like are guys who come down on the puck, not those who poke at it with their stick on the ice, because that can break a goalies fingers.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
i absolutely love doing these "cheap" little things like harassing goalies and light slahes to players away from the play. getting under others players skin is an art and can really be useful if you learn to do it correctly

Zimmer12

Dec 15, 2005
Leduc, Alberta
When someone hits my goalie, I don't keep anything back. And I mean nothing at all. If the guy is around, you dump him on his ***. Do whatever you can possible to make sure he doesn't come back and do it again. Even if it is taking a penalty, you are sure to take him with you...well most of the time :D Some chirping at him might stir the pot a little bit and maybe get under his skin and force him to take a stupid penalty. Last but not least, take his number. You have to make damn sure you take his number and if he is in your defensive zone and he is late getting out, give him a nice whack on the back of the legs, if the refs not looking. As someone said up there, you have to perfect the skill of being an adjetator.:yo:

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I agree with poking at the puck trying it jam it in. I know the other team won't like it and I accept that. What I really dont like are guys who come down on the puck, not those who poke at it with their stick on the ice, because that can break a goalies fingers.
I agree, I was pretty surprised when I went to National Sports and checked out some of their goalie equipment. The lack off padding on top of the catcher and where the goalie grips his stick was pretty surprising. So I agree that goalies deserve a little bit more respect, because nobody wants to get hurt playing rec league hockey.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
The only time i've intentionally ran into a goalie was when the one slow jackass would crosscheck me 10 times whenever i went near the crease, i got between him and the goalie and he did it yet again and i went flying into their tender. he had a delayed penalty untill they gave him a major for blindsiding me while i was sprawled out on his netminder. He then mouthed off to the refs and got himself a misconduct and had to leave the ice. I was pretty happy with the outcome, people with tempers like that shouldn't be playing ice hockey anyways, but sadly many of them do. As for whacking the puck when the goalie thinks he has it, I will do that as well, but you need to know when and when not to do it. If your planted in front of the crease and the goalie has the puck covered, don't try to dig it out or you will get sucker punched/cheapshotted. Instead, come in with some speed and try to arrive right when or right after the puck arives at the goalie so you can get a good chance and be out before anybody has the oppertunity to rough you up. I've scored a lot of easy goals like this, you have to be quick though.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
The only time i've intentionally ran into a goalie was when the one slow jackass would crosscheck me 10 times whenever i went near the crease, i got between him and the goalie and he did it yet again and i went flying into their tender. he had a delayed penalty untill they gave him a major for blindsiding me while i was sprawled out on his netminder. He then mouthed off to the refs and got himself a misconduct and had to leave the ice. I was pretty happy with the outcome, people with tempers like that shouldn't be playing ice hockey anyways, but sadly many of them do. As for whacking the puck when the goalie thinks he has it, I will do that as well, but you need to know when and when not to do it. If your planted in front of the crease and the goalie has the puck covered, don't try to dig it out or you will get sucker punched/cheapshotted. Instead, come in with some speed and try to arrive right when or right after the puck arives at the goalie so you can get a good chance and be out before anybody has the oppertunity to rough you up. I've scored a lot of easy goals like this, you have to be quick though.

if the guys a jerk and provokes it, sure

but its inexcuseable when guys are skating fast and deking and then get touched by another player and just fly into the goalie hoping the puck rolls in. just disgusting play.

and its happening more and more under these new rules. they need to make revisions so prevent cheap Bill Goldberg like "spears" from happening

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
I understand your concern, but I play an adult non-checking leauge where there is really no place for this. You don't need to lay out huge hits to be a good defenseman, seriously. When I am assigned to play back, I almost never hit people, but I probably lift more sticks than anybody has ever seen. Cross checking is an easy short cut to playing defense. Yeah, anybody can do it and it does nullify forwards, but you might as well sucker-punch them in the side of the head, they will stay down longer. You see where I'm going? It's cool if you wish you were in the UFC, but some people prefer to play hockey, and yeah, I knew what I was doing when i went flying into their netminder, but guess what, if you insist on sending me "messages", I know how to send them back, and within the rules of the game. FYI The goalie took a while to get his head straight after that incident, but it showed that he wasnt the same when we lit him up for four goals in the 3rd.

I'm sorry that their goaltender(as well as the rest of the team) had to suffer for that guys actions, but I believe that what I did wasn't too out of line.

i absolutely love doing these "cheap" little things like harassing goalies and light slahes to players away from the play. getting under others players skin is an art and can really be useful if you learn to do it correctly

Long as you don't mind a hack on the laces, a spear in the calf, a kick save that happens to kick out your feet and a stick in the nuts then be my guest. Us goalies can be at least as cheap as players and sometimes worse. All without the ref seeing a thing. In addition to which we stop your best shots and get inside your head to the point that this is the stuff you come up with to get a goal.

Getting under someone's skin is indeed an art.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Last season my teammates didn't nothing when someone ran me. They didn't even do anything when some loser shot the puck into the net and celebrated as if he scored after I froze the pick.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I prefer to handle my own issues and i go for a multiple of 10 with my response. As a goalie I am well protected and it is rare that a player can hurt me other than something from the blind side. I bide my time and when the chance arises....I get em clean. last one speared down into the front of my chest as I covered a puck. No problem....but when he pulled the stick out he turned the blade and hooked under the chin of my mask trying to get my throat. With a gel collar I was well protected. His pathetic little throat guard was no match for the lead edge of my blocker. I shot to my skates driving it in as hard as I could. Last I saw him was on a stretcher with an O mask applied. I hope the lack of oxygen he experianced caused brain damage, if any there to harm.

Second last one jammed me clearly after the whistle. He got a break a few shifts later and tried one of the between the leg moves. Simply shot the gap on him taking the skates out as I grabbed his hand and stick. NEver got his free hand out and did a complete face plant losing two front teeth. I still have the tooth i picked off the ice tucked in the corner of my skate pouch I love to see the red of their blood mingle with the blue of MY crease!

IF ya happen across a goalie wearing red/white/blacxk heaton 6800s(brody 2000)....dont risk it. It could be your last. I play for keeps.

Last edited:

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Dudes who run goalies or hack away on a blatantly covered shot should be dealt with in a violent manner. Most goalies know when a puck is loose or when they have it covered, and I find most can take a few hacks if it's loose. But any other BS is not cool and it's the responsibility of the players to defend their keep.

Devs

Jun 1, 2006
NJ/DC
As someone who loves to get his nose into the other goalie's crease, as well as having to defend my own, the best advice I can give is DO NOT PUSH THE OTHER PLAYER INTO YOUR GOALIE. If a defender so much as breathes on me by their goalie, I will look for a way to take the goalie out of the play. Likewise, always stay between your assignment and your goalie. And be strong on your feet. No need to get pushed into your own goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad