GDT: Running Out of Ideas: Devils @ Sabres, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
‘stoppable’ is utterly meaningless anyway lol. if you have a goalie in net, literally every single shot is technically stoppable
Fine

And this is when I lazily throw ''Kinkaid has an .898% save percentage on the season and Schneider has an .852% save percentage on the season'' and don't even analyze.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I have a feeling if this off-season doesn't run smoothly, my name and avatar may be outdated before January 2020 lmao

games like this are UGLY

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I'd just like to point out that it was the season where LaLaLaLaLaFontaine suffered the injury that wrecked his career in Hartford colliding with a teammate. Given that fact it makes what that team acomplished even more impressive, double that they won a playoff round when Hasek basically quit on the team.

That had an 11.3% shooting percentage that year. I'm gonna say that was well above average. That was also the highest they had out of those years, outside of 11.8% in 93-94 (which I retracted them as part of my statement that those Sabres teams weren't all that good), but judging by league average save percentage in 93-94 (.895%) and what it was in 96-97 (.905%), I'm going to assume they show at a higher rate relative to league average in 96-97 than they did in 93-94. Like I said, these are the type of teams that would be referred to as riding the PDO (how's that for a three letter stat?) train and unsustainably good these days.

The one thing I'll give you is that it's possible score effects played into having such a bad shot differential. Kind of like how we caught up tonight and have such a good shot differential this year. If they were blowing out teams, they were probably leading games more often than not and by A LOT, but that's still a terrible shot differential. I wonder if they're the last team with that poor of a shot on goal differential to actually make the playoffs? I don't even think the 12-13 Leafs (48 game season) were on pace to have a differential that bad if we had played 82 games that year.

we’re both finding out own narrative in advanced stats. fact is the sabres were a first place team. much like the marty teams in the mid 2000’s they had a bubble playoff team with legendary goaltending. this devils team is not a bubble playoff team with average goaltending. theyre on the outside looking in and by good margin. hasek would not turn a -0.25 SRS team like this one to a .25 team like his 96-97 team. potentially he would make it a 0.02 team or where we were last year. where we averaged out in PDO and would have been higher with better luck.

too many players on this team are underperforming. it was the height of the dead puck era and buffalo playeda decent defensive team game. no where near comparable to hynes’ defensive disaster.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I have a feeling if this off-season doesn't run smoothly, my name and avatar may be outdated before January 2020 lmao

games like this are UGLY

Too bad nobody holds anyone's feet to the fire in the organization. That's one of the things I DO miss about the glory days...actual accountability. So the fans are left to hold anyone and everyone accountable but just wind up getting in stupid, needless fights during GDT's.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You have no clue what you're talking about

You really spent the time to post that?
That's even more pathetic than the Devils tonight.

You're still wrong, let it go

***Bogisian went to be 3rd man in , Seney put his arm out like he's supposed to, to hold him up, Bogosian went ape shat for no reason
Axe murderer Bogo > Broken Bogo

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Time to replace Rollie maybe ?
Why would we do that? We already fired Terreri when Cory first showed signs of declining and it looked like it might have worked last season, before his hip gave out and now he's at the point where he's turning 33 soon and his career is either over altogether or over at being anything more than barely serviceable. And if this year was any indication, he's not even serviceable, but I realize that's a small sample size. However, 100 games is not a small sample size and that's how long he's been bad for. Not unserviceably bad, but bad.

And as far as Kinkaid goes, the goalie coach should not pay for Kinkaid putting up terrible numbers when he has to play almost all of the team's games between the opener and Christmas and now even more due to the other goalie getting injured.

Kinkaid this year is like what would have happened if we brought back Scott Clemmensen in 09-10 and he had to play 40 or more games again. He wouldn't have done what he did the first year, that's for sure.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Fine

And this is when I lazily throw ''Kinkaid has an .898% save percentage on the season and Schneider has an .852% save percentage on the season'' and don't even analyze.

that’s not lazy, it’s factual and objective (and true)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Too bad nobody holds anyone's feet to the fire in the organization. That's one of the things I DO miss about the glory days. So the fans are left to do it to anyone and everyone and just wind up getting in stupid, needless fights during GDT's.
I mean, it could be worse...

we could have all the young, supposedly high-end talent in the world and still be a bottom-end team ala Edmonton or Florida

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Those would be nice save percentages if we were still in the 80’s.

Ugly.
And that's why I say. If we don't wanna argue about which goals were and weren't ''Stoppable'' ones or ones the goalie should have had, then I'll just throw the numbers around.

And usually, when numbers are thrown around here without any context, be it corsi or even goaltending, people complain and say ''Well my eyes tell me something differently'' and my eyes tell me the goaltending has been as bad on my eyes as it's been on paper when I look at the stats.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Why would we do that? We already fired Terreri when Cory first showed signs of declining and it looked like it might have worked last season, before his hip gave out and now he's at the point where he's turning 33 soon and his career is either over altogether or over at being anything more than barely serviceable. And if this year was any indication, he's not even serviceable, but I realize that's a small sample size. However, 100 games is not a small sample size and that's how long he's been bad for. Not unserviceably bad, but bad.

And as far as Kinkaid goes, the goalie coach should not pay for Kinkaid putting up terrible numbers when he has to play almost all of the team's games between the opener and Christmas and now even more due to the other goalie getting injured.

Kinkaid this year is like what would have happened if we brought back Scott Clemmensen in 09-10 and he had to play 40 or more games again. He wouldn't have done what he did the first year, that's for sure.

clemms is a good comparable.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean, it could be worse...

we could have all the young, supposedly high-end talent in the world and still be a bottom-end team ala Edmonton or Florida

So instead we're a bottom-end team without it. Other than one guy who might beg to be out of here this offseason.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
clemms is a good comparable.
I mean, this is really starting to play out like it would have if Clemmensen stayed in 09-10 and Marty got injured again and he had to play 40 or more games again. I don't think he would have done as well that second year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean, this is really starting to play out like it would have if Clemmensen stayed in 09-10 and Marty got injured again and he had to play 40 or more games again. I don't think he would have done as well that second year.

Possibly but Lemaire and the system might have dragged him to a good performance in all likelihood, for the 10-12 games Marty would have allowed him to play anyway.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So instead we're a bottom-end team without it. Other than one guy who might beg to be out of here this offseason.
Yeah but thats normal and a part of the cycle. Teams cant go 12+ seasons without missing the playoffs and then strive for mediocrity and miss on draft picks and not expect to be this bad.

I do think the losses are beginning to insert a bad attitude this season but what else can be done?

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I'm beginning to question how good Rollie is. Again, I'm not sure you saw me post this before, but I could have sworn I saw a TV show where Cory said Rollie had him playing DEEPER in net, which was a stunning thing to say for me.
If I had to guess he’s telling him to play deeper in net because his hip is shot and it allows for less movement and less athleticism.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

eh more like if he was around for the 10-11 season. 09-10 parise was beasting and that was a decent team. 10-11 was a comparable to this years team if kinkaid is comparable to clemms

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Possibly but Lemaire and the system might have dragged him to a good performance in all likelihood, for the 10-12 games Marty would have allowed him to play anyway.
I'm talking in the hypothetical that Marty got injured again that year and Clemmensen had to play 40 or more games again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
eh more like if he was around for the 10-11 season. 09-10 parise was beasting and that was a decent team. 10-11 was a comparable to this years team if kinkaid is comparable to clemms
He may have won more games than Kinkaid is winning with this team, but I think we're seeing a save percentage somewhere around the .900% range or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->