Run hockey like golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

WM

Aug 21, 2004
I know this would never happen but the NHL could pay their players like golf. Instead of having players sign contracts and get paid 10 million throughout the season, pay players on their performace game to game. for example if a player scores a goal in game pay him 200,000 or if he gets an assist pay him 100,000. The figures just used are just an example, not an actual figure. This would eliminate players having one good season, signing a big contract and never putting up those numbers again. You could pay goalies based on how many goals they let in etc and d men with their plus minus and such. This would give players more of an of an incentive to score and to play their best.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
That could perhaps work in golf because golf is an individual game, but hockey is a team sport and there are players who job it is not to score goals, yet they are equally important to the game. Then you would have the selfish players who are just after their bottom line vs. what is the best thing for the team. This is why so many teams do not offer individual bonuses but rather only offer team bonus.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
WM said:
I know this would never happen but the NHL could pay their players like golf. Instead of having players sign contracts and get paid 10 million throughout the season, pay players on their performace game to game. for example if a player scores a goal in game pay him 200,000 or if he gets an assist pay him 100,000. The figures just used are just an example, not an actual figure. This would eliminate players having one good season, signing a big contract and never putting up those numbers again. You could pay goalies based on how many goals they let in etc and d men with their plus minus and such. This would give players more of an of an incentive to score and to play their best.

If you thought a player like Sergi Berezin refused to pass the puck before .. You ain't seen nothing yet by your suggestion .... Every single player would be doing end to end rushes and even if a teammate has and empty net he would refuse to pass as that would cost him 100,000 if the other player scores and even worse if he misses the pass or does not score ..

You may have to re-think this plan of yours ..

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
WM said:

I'm sick of hearing about this idea. What happens when there's a 2 on 1 and the guy with the puck decides to shoot when the better option is to pass because he gets paid more for goals then assists. How about when a goalie is put with an awful defense. Some guys would be the richest goalies because of good defense in front of them. Also, what happens when a coach benches a player for a game because he isn't performing. Would the coach be under heat for not letting a player "feed his family." I can go on and on about how many flaws this system has. It's a team sport, and the hockey part is already being taken away from the NHL because of money. Why make money more a part of the game with this awful system?

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Here's an interesting twist to the idea. It'll never happen, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Why not put all money allocated for payroll leaguewide into escrow and have the worst team points-wise get the agreed-upon cap range minimum, while the best team gets the cap range max. Of course, the money would have to be distributed either at the end of the regular season, or in installments at the 20-game marks. That way team performance controls entirely what the players get paid.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
nhlfan79 said:
Here's an interesting twist to the idea. It'll never happen, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Why not put all money allocated for payroll leaguewide into escrow and have the worst team points-wise get the agreed-upon cap range minimum, while the best team gets the cap range max. Of course, the money would have to be distributed either at the end of the regular season, or in installments at the 20-game marks. That way team performance controls entirely what the players get paid.

So players like Mario or Rick Nash who are good players on bad teams would make $300,000 and a bad player who just takes up space on a good team makes $9M. Yeah, I can see the players going for that.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Player 1 Says: Hey, I'm really low on cash.. Can you pass it to me every time there is a scoring chance?

Player 2 Says: I'm low on cash too! :amazed: That lockout sure sucked.

WM

Aug 21, 2004
i know this wouldn't work but i am just throwing things out there as it seems our current system is not working out. oh yeah and the system we have is just fine. we have players such as jagr gettng paid 11 million guaranteed and they are putting up tons of points.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
WM said:
i know this wouldn't work but i am just throwing things out there as it seems our current system is not working out. oh yeah and the system we have is just fine. we have players such as jagr gettng paid 11 million guaranteed and they are putting up tons of points.

I know that way sucks too, but there's no alternative that is workable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->