Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Deadline Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
So I guess Duchene's 30 goals is nothing, on an abysmal team? Duchene has always been regarded as a high end player, much more than Turris. Like leaps and bounds

Duchene has ALWAYS been known for his speed, FO's and his amazing ability down low, Crosbyesque if you will...hence, he's been traded 2x for a ****load of assets. Dude made Yakupov look good

Anyone talking **** about that trade now is literally speaking out the side of their mouth. Noibody saw OTT's regression this bad, or viewed that 1st rounder as a lottery pick

Ott had all the momentum, talent and Chabot on the way.

Edm hires Yzerman in the summer. Yzerman trades next years 1st for Doughty. Drai and Nurse fight again. RNH makes a move on McD's girlfriend. Team implodes

Edm fans blame call Yzerman an idiot for trading for Doughty lol

10 second google search.

Instant Analysis: The Matt Duchene Blockbuster
Senators paid a steep price to acquire Matt Duchene: Cox | The Star

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I am not feeling the bad reaction today since we didn't trade anyone. First I think we kept Petrovic because he is depth and if a defender gets injured we don't have have to call anyone up. This is big since Nicholson said we wanted to develop prospects. I'd rather keep our prospects on a winning AHL team then bring them up and maybe struggle. For Chiasson, I just think if the market wouldn't pay at worst a 3rd then he is better spent on the team. Partially because of the same point above but also he should be a target to sign again. A depth player that can play top minutes the odd time is what this team needs. The Oilers wanted to acquire players who would make an impact in not this year. Anything past a 2nd is useless and really not worth a trade.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
KG did well not to make a downgrade trade. No one wants Oilers bad contracts and players.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Scary that Calgary almost won another trade by a fair amount, and the only thing that stopped them was a player. Calgary is good at finding these solid players that other GMs are eager to get rid of

While very true, if that was indeed the deal, either GM's are lowballing the new guy on the block or Fenton is Chiarelli-level. Frolik becoming the unpopular guy to Calgary's management by nixing the trade may actually benefit Minnesota in a few months as they will likely get a better offer in the offseason.

In the meantime, God bless the NTC*. ;)

*excluding Lucic's.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't see any fits there for us. Not a chance Panarin comes here, he wants LA, Miami, New York, or Chicago markets for the life style.
Oh I don't see any either, just pointing out there is still a lot of guys out there. Didn't think Stone or Duchene would come here either

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
A good start to the offseason will be unloading Benning's contract for a draft pick and then using that same draft pick to get Connor Brown.

Brown's AAV is not ideal but he would instantly be our 3rd best winger.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
So I guess Duchene's 30 goals is nothing, on an abysmal team? Duchene has always been regarded as a high end player, much more than Turris. Like leaps and bounds

Duchene has ALWAYS been known for his speed, FO's and his amazing ability down low, Crosbyesque if you will...hence, he's been traded 2x for a ****load of assets. Dude made Yakupov look good

Anyone talking **** about that trade now is literally speaking out the side of their mouth. Noibody saw OTT's regression this bad, or viewed that 1st rounder as a lottery pick

Ott had all the momentum, talent and Chabot on the way.

Edm hires Yzerman in the summer. Yzerman trades next years 1st for Doughty. Drai and Nurse fight again. RNH makes a move on McD's girlfriend. Team implodes

Edm fans blame call Yzerman an idiot for trading for Doughty lol

I was halfway with you before - I thought the Duchene pick up made sense but they paid too much - but this is just a terrible analogy. It's not even close to what happened. A more accurate comparison would be:

We go on a deep run with Klefbom leading the way on the last year of his contract playing better than ever. Katz openly refuses to give Klefbom a raise, forcing a trade. We then trade Klefbom, Bouchard, first, second for one year of Doughty.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
It's kind of sad that the new standard for having a "good day" is not doing anything stupid, but KG didn't do anything stupid, so in my mind at least he had a good day.

Reactions: subnet

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Isn't having more NHL caliber players better than a few low round picks?

For a team that needs to retool its roster? Not really.

I'm all for adding NHL talent but let's be real, we're talking about the dregs of the dregs here.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It's a trap man. The OBC and their media puppets are pushing the OMG CHIA WENT ROGUE and EXTERNAL HIRES LIKE TAMBO, EAKINS, AND CHIA HAVE BEEN FAR WORSE THAN US narrative.

Don't fall for it.

Keith's drafting track record in Arizona and Boston speaks for itself. Terrible.

Pretty sure Boston is stacked with prospects . As for Arizona , they had a lot of good young players/prospects that they did not develop right . Strome is an example of a player doing much better away from the team . Most of the picks on the farm are Gretzky's picks and they just won 17 in a row . Not saying they all pan out but in the pass 20 years how many of our 4th rd picks even got a cup of coffee in the NHL ? So far Jones and Bear has

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
We didn't make ONE move? Awesome. So, either our GM thinks the group that is currently a lottery team has all the right pieces, or the guys we had available to be traded are so ****ty that no one was interested.

My dog is sick . Crapped on my area rug and it looked better then the crap we had to trade . Maybe if Chia was a GM I could trade him my crapped on area rug for something good .

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For a team that needs to retool its roster? Not really.

I'm all for adding NHL talent but let's be real, we're talking about the dregs of the dregs here.

For most teams but for the Oilers, one is arguably their best natural winger as sad as that is and the other their best bottom 6 player.
I'd rather them not deal two NHL players for low return and have to add two more items to the shopping list in the offseason.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It is amazing how much rope owners give GMs.
After the Niederrieter trade, Fenton should have been on alert. He should have been gone when he ran the Coyle dead through ownership.
Same with Dorian. After the initial Duchene trade, alert. Hoffman proposal, gone.
Chia. Reinhart, alert. Hall, gone.

This 100X

I am sick of people saying "Its ONLY one move, give them time"

No. A GMs makes those bad moves because they actually believed that was a smart trade. They have formed their decision making process over multiple years. Those trades are as a result of that. Future trades will be similar, because that GM will use the same decision making process.

Chiarelli was a broken and failed GM starting in about 2012ish. The next 6 years was just him getting a ton of rope because of his one cup win. He eventually hung the Oilers with that rope

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
For most teams but for the Oilers, one is arguably their best natural winger as sad as that is and the other their best bottom 6 player.
I'd rather them not deal two NHL players for low return and have to add two more items to the shopping list in the offseason.

Chiasson is probably gone regardless unless they are dumb enough to overpay him and Kassian simply makes too much money. Deal those guys for picks and you actually have extra assets with which to shop around in the offseason for the actual important pieces this team needs. Fill those holes and guys like Kassian and Chiasson can be replaced by waiver wire fodder.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Chiasson is probably gone regardless unless they are dumb enough to overpay him and Kassian simply makes too much money. Deal those guys for picks and you actually have extra assets with which to shop around in the offseason for the actual important pieces this team needs. Fill those holes and guys like Kassian and Chiasson can be replaced by waiver wire fodder.

I don't think it's that easy. Cold now or not, Chiasson still has 17 goals and is an important net front presence on the PP so they'd have to replace that production for cheap and Kassian is their best bottom 6er. On most teams, these guys would be expendable but not on the Oilers.
I'd rather go into next season with..
Khaira-???-Chiasson
???-Cave?-Kassian
than
Khaira-???-???
???-Cave-???

They can always revisit a Kassian trade in the offseason when he'll likely have more value.
Dump the dead weight like Reider, Brodziak, Manning and Petrovic, not useful players.

Reactions: Jet Walters

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't think it's that easy. Cold now or not, Chiasson still has 17 goals and is an important net front presence on the PP so they'd have to replace that production for cheap and Kassian is their best bottom 6er. On most teams, these guys would be expendable but not on the Oilers.

The list of guys who aren't expendable on this team is very short and those two aren't on it.

I'd rather go into next season with..
Khaira-???-Chiasson
???-Cave?-Kassian
than
Khaira-???-???
???-Cave-???

Right now, Chiasson and Kassian are playing in the top six. Ideally, the team adds 2-3 real top six wingers to bump them down where they belong. But how do you do that when you lack assets and cap spacei n part because you've decided to hang on to two overpriced bottom sixers??

They can always revisit a Kassian trade in the offseason when he'll likely have more value.
Dump the dead weight like Reider, Brodziak, Manning and Petrovic, not useful players.

You aren't getting jack squat for any of those players, though.

Reactions: Hemsky is a gangsta

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
My $0.02 is that Kassian and Lucic will be moved at the draft (Lucic after his July 1st payday). Simply because there will be a few team that thought they had the pieces to have a deep run or Cup final appearance...but got killed playing “big boy hockey” (Leafs/Islanders/Sharks come to mind) very skilled teams, but not very tough in a grinding series. I’m positive a GM will take those guys off of the new Oilers GMs hands. I really don’t think it’s that bleak of future for the Oilers.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So uh...the rumoured trade was actually Larsson for Connor Brown.

Although he’s not a super reliable source.

And it wouldn’t have been 1 for 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad