Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Threadmark Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
How much are we missing to fit him?
Hall comes in at $2M @ TD and we have $3M in space, but is something hidden in Smith's bonuses and/or injuries?

I had forgotten that Hall was traded with 50% retention, so I suppose we can rush Neal’s cybernetic prosthetic and get him back on the ice sooner if we don’t need to play fast and loose with the cap :sarcasm:

Reactions: LaGu and Cloned

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
He played 70 minutes with McDavid and played great with Drai. Debate whether he'll be worth the money or a fit, but this stuff is just pure myth.

Not sure how an opinion can be a myth..? :huh:

I'm not an advanced stats guy but I'm sure that they do say that Hall & McDavid were better together than Pouliot & McDavid were. Not really all that shocking. The point is by how much and is the differential vs. splitting them up worth it? If Neal-McDavid-Kassian = 88/100 and Hall-McDavid-Kassian is a 90/100, that's not much of an upgrade and in the case here where we have to spend assets and money to get that small upgrade, it doesn't make any sense.

I wasn't against Hall when it was Drai-McDavid and we needed secondary scoring but that isn't the case anymore. Drai's line is more than fine at the moment, McDavid is fine no matter what, and Hall & McDavid just don't compliment each other well. To my eye there was zero chemistry between them and that shouldn't be surprising. Hall's value comes from his ability to drive the play like a Tazmanian Devil and when you're skating beside McDavid a lot of that talent goes to waste. There's only one puck.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
How would you guys feel about a deal around Bouchard/Dumba?

I know this year has been a down year for him but I think he's a very good top 4 defenseman signed at a reasonable 6x4.

I'd much rather move Broberg, but I don't think Holland will.

I dont personally see the point now. Bouchard will likely be in the NHL next year. Hes cost controlled for the forseeable future.

Not to mention that the expansion will make things complicated if he were to bring in another defenseman at this point.

I'd rather upgrade the LW1 at this point.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
:laugh:what I find funny is everyone is just itching for a trade to happen and when it does look out hf form is going to get flooded

space321

May 11, 2011
So what are your solutions if any ...???

What do you mean? I've posted in this thread about who I think we should target and who I think could be affordable (ie. Haula, Niederreiter, Granlund).

I didn't know I have to give a newwproposal every time I want to discuss the validity of an existing one.

space321

May 11, 2011
Please stop with the Hall talk. I DO think he could move again, I think I predicted that when they got spanked by the Oilers 2 weeks ago, but where does he fit here with the success of the second line?

He doesn't fit in with McDavid, so unless you want to put him in the bottom six, then what's the attraction?

We have 2 real needs, but I just don't think he fits either one.

Uhm why do you think this? Because of that 4 game sample size from McDavid's rookie year? Do you think Yamamoto's current play is sustainable from now until the playoffs? If he falters don't you think Hall-Drai/RNH and McDavid-Drai/RNH would be just as deadly?

One of our top needs right now is a winger for McDavid. He is clearly not playing to his full potential with Archibald AND Kassian on his line. It just doesn't work.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Daily Faceoff has Mark Pysyk listed as a 4th line winger on the Panthers depth chart. What is up with that? If Holland gets an offer for Larsson that is too good to pass up I think Pysyk could be an adequate stop gap, although I can’t say I’ve watched him that much down there.

After tonight it would cost us our 1st and a prospect. ;)

Reactions: Jet Walters

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

I'm not an advanced stats guy but I'm sure that they do say that Hall & McDavid were better together than Pouliot & McDavid were. Not really all that shocking. The point is by how much and is the differential vs. splitting them up worth it? If Neal-McDavid-Kassian = 88/100 and Hall-McDavid-Kassian is a 90/100, that's not much of an upgrade and in the case here where we have to spend assets and money to get that small upgrade, it doesn't make any sense.

I wasn't against Hall when it was Drai-McDavid and we needed secondary scoring but that isn't the case anymore. Drai's line is more than fine at the moment, McDavid is fine no matter what, and Hall & McDavid just don't compliment each other well. To my eye there was zero chemistry between them and that shouldn't be surprising. Hall's value comes from his ability to drive the play like a Tazmanian Devil and when you're skating beside McDavid a lot of that talent goes to waste. There's only one puck.

You could play Hall on the third line and have three lines that could absolutely smash the competition.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

whats wrong with

nuge mcd kassian
Hall drai yama

or

Archibald mcd kassian
Benson Drai yama
Hall nuge Neal

space321

May 11, 2011
Because as of right now, Nuge/Drai/Yama is our best line, why would we want to try and mess with that?

This is such a shortsighted way of looking at things. No one WANTS to mess with that line right now, but Yamamoto's PDO is like 1.14, that's f***ing ridiculous and it WILL regress by a lot. What'll we do then? Adding another top 6 winger is adding depth and insurance, something we desparately need if you have watched the Oilers for the past 2 years. If Yamamoto slows down a bit, we're back to square one basically.

The Cheez

Aug 14, 2015
I agree we need another top six winger, just dont feel Hall is the direction to go. He will likely cost too much for what its worth this year anyways IMO

Reactions: Mr Positive

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The good part about Hall is that he is a line driver. He would actually be deadly with RNH, but I don't think we can afford that. We could run McDavid, Drai, RNH down the middle but then there isn't much ice time to go around. Ideally we can keep RNH at a cheapish contract playing wing, acquire a cheapish passing centre like Kerfoot, Thornton, etc who could just give Hallsy the puck, and then have our top two lines stay similar. I know that puts Hall on a 3rd line, but damn...it would be good.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We want a winger for McDavid I'd think. Hall is expensive and also didnt gel 100%. Hes a line driver but I dont think that's needed. A top line sniper is ideal. I like the Rakell idea.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Athanasiou only has 5 goals and 19 points this season.

I wonder if the Oilers could get him for “relativity” cheap.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You basically couldn't make a better fit for the Oilers precise need than Taylor Hall. A fast, legitimate top-six LW in his prime with known chemistry with two of our current centres who just so happens to be one of the 10 or 15 most dominant 5v5 players in the league. Like, every box checks there.

You can say "he didn't fit with McDavid", but really, what you're saying is that an 18 year old McDavid who was shakey-legged in his first handful of games wasn't productive with Taylor Hall. Even if that does hold to be true, it's not hard to fit that together when we KNOW that RNH and Draisaitl are both actually capable of playing McDavid's LW as well.

It's not hard to imagine RNH with McDavid and Kass (where they were productive for good stretches of last year) and Draisaitl with Hall and Yamamoto. It's not even that hard to see how Hall as a "line driver" gives them back the ability to play Draisaitl and McDavid together as Hall always did legitimize RNH's line as a top line.

If I had to guess, though, the economics of the trade (what it will cost to acquire him and what it will cost to sign him) has me thinking that it's more likely Arizona will keep him, try to make the playoffs and sign him or deal him to Colorado - who wanted him from Jersey as well.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I don't like the thought up giving up a lot to acquire him only to relegate him to the 3rd line

Well I think with a guy like Hall you'd let him carry the third line for 12 minutes, 1st PP for 3 minutes, and then some double shifts with McDavid so you get Taylor into the 18-20 minute range and that would work out quite nicely.

I don't really want to give up a lot for Hall either, but the thought of having a three line attack like that is exciting.

At the end of the day I'm not sure the Oilers are in a spot to be giving up a first rounder for a guy they can't re-sign, but you have to admit it would be a hell of a ride.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
After tonight you can add the Leafs to teams looking for defence. Cody Ceci looks real bad. Imagine if Chairelli went through with Hall for Ceci, rather than Hall for Larsson.

Again it’s worthwhile to draw a circle around Kapanen and Kerfoot. Those are players that could be potential good fits.

Also stop with the Hall talk, yeah he’d be a good fit, but what would it cost us? Not only that you’d have to clear $5.283M in cap space. This is not a team you go all-in for a rental. Hell we haven’t even seen our top-AHL prospect play a game. Be patient, this year has gone way better than anyone expected but that doesn’t mean we should blow our load for a rental.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Because as of right now, Nuge/Drai/Yama is our best line, why would we want to try and mess with that?
Because Drai-McD-Kassian was/is better than out "best line"

We just need another top 6 sniper. Lines will work with any combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->