Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Regarding Campbell is there anyone that he can be traded to? Eg a David Clarkson Nathan Horton swap.

Ie some poor team gets a starting goalie that plays and oilers get $5 mil cap space for taking on an ltir contract? Logan couture is 35 isn't in the best health. I'm not saying he'd never play again but could fool around ala Vegas at least.

Also would be nice if Mike Grier could do his old team a favor and he does need a goalie.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Regarding Campbell is there anyone that he can be traded to? Eg a David Clarkson Nathan Horton swap.

Ie some poor team gets a starting goalie that plays and oilers get $5 mil cap space for taking on an ltir contract? Logan couture is 35 isn't in the best health. I'm not saying he'd never play again but could fool around ala Vegas at least.

Also would be nice if Mike Grier could do his old team a favor and he does need a goalie.

Dumping Campbell is the first move for our new GM just as dumping Lucic was our first move for our old GM.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't necessarily think that he'll regress. If he were to maintain his current play over a 4 year deal at that term it would be a fair and good deal. I just don't like the thought of locking into any bottom pairing/line players for that long. It shouldn't be difficult to replace guys like that every couple of years, but that's just my opinion and I could be entirely wrong. Given how tight the cap will get in a hypothetical McDrai both extend scenario, every 1.5-2 million will count.
If you can sign Desharnais long term for under $2M you definitely do so. Say something like 4 years at $1.6M. There is little risk to such a contract. He has made a huge stride forward this year. While he may never be anything more than a #5/6 5 vs 5 he could become an elite pk'er. But unless he regresses significantly at the very worst you would be able to trade him if need be with minimal retention.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If you can sign Desharnais long term for under $2M you definitely do so. Say something like 4 years at $1.6M. There is little risk to such a contract. He has made a huge stride forward this year. While he may never be anything more than a #5/6 5 vs 5 he could become an elite pk'er. But unless he regresses significantly at the very worst you would be able to trade him if need be with minimal retention.

If they wanted to sign him last summer I think his number would have been much less than it will be this summer. Now I think it begins with a 2 + depending on term.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If they wanted to sign him last summer I think his number would have been much less than it will be this summer. Now I think it begins with a 2 + depending on term.
No question had they signed him last year the number would have been much lower. I suspect he would have jumped on a 3 year $1M deal. However, his offensive numbers are still going to hold him back salarywise to a significant degree. Even for defensemen points equal money. With 11 points he just limits what he might get as a bottom pairing defenseman. It typically takes them several contracts to establish themselves consistently enough on the defensive side to move up the salary ranks. A guy like Seeler for example now gets $2.7M but this is his 5th deal.

It might seem strange but from Desharnais' perspective there is a risk of going for the bigger dollar deal especially if it is on a weaker team. Given his lack of offense if he ever laps defensively he risks becoming a buyout candidate. And for a late drafted strictly defensive 5/6 defenseman that usually is a career ending proposition.

He is in a great spot with the Oilers. His skill set matches their needs and the team values what he does. Term might be the most valuable thing the Oilers could give him. Four years in the $1.5-2M range goes a long way to giving him a small degree of financial security. He won't be able to live like a king for life of course but a couple of million $US in the bank is a decent safety net for a guy in his 20's even if he never signs another deal. Moreover, his target should be to stay in the league as long as possible. 4 years earns him $110K US per year in pension with a 100% survivor benefit at age 62 indexed to inflation.. The NHL pension plan gives full benefits at 10 years of service. For a guy like Vinny that is a huge plus.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No question had they signed him last year the number would have been much lower. I suspect he would have jumped on a 3 year $1M deal. However, his offensive numbers are still going to hold him back salarywise to a significant degree. Even for defensemen points equal money. With 11 points he just limits what he might get as a bottom pairing defenseman. It typically takes them several contracts to establish themselves consistently enough on the defensive side to move up the salary ranks. A guy like Seeler for example now gets $2.7M but this is his 5th deal.

It might seem strange but from Desharnais' perspective there is a risk of going for the bigger dollar deal especially if it is on a weaker team. Given his lack of offense if he ever laps defensively he risks becoming a buyout candidate. And for a late drafted strictly defensive 5/6 defenseman that usually is a career ending proposition.

He is in a great spot with the Oilers. His skill set matches their needs and the team values what he does. Term might be the most valuable thing the Oilers could give him. Four years in the $1.5-2M range goes a long way to giving him a small degree of financial security. He won't be able to live like a king for life of course but a couple of million $US in the bank is a decent safety net for a guy in his 20's even if he never signs another deal. Moreover, his target should be to stay in the league as long as possible. 4 years earns him $110K US per year in pension with a 100% survivor benefit at age 62 indexed to inflation.. The NHL pension plan gives full benefits at 10 years of service. For a guy like Vinny that is a huge plus.

Agree with all you’ve said but being a UFA I think someone out there will offer him 2 to 2.5 x 4.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He's winning me over so far this post season. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Reactions: barry halls

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Agree with all you’ve said but being a UFA I think someone out there will offer him 2 to 2.5 x 4.
It is quite possible that there will be a team that would be willing to do that. But it is also possible that such a contract won't be on the table at least not right away. Unless they increase the cap more than the amount in play there will still be a fairly tight cap for the majority of the teams. This is a big risk for a guy like Desharnais who is unlikely to be a first choice UFA. There are a lot of UFA defenders who could be on the move next year. Guys like Pesce, Tanev and Hronek will be in the first tier. But you also have a long list of people like Edmundson, Brodie, Barrie, Ghost, Matt Roy, Dumba etc that will probably be on the move. If I had to guess there could be 20-30 #4-6 defensemen looking to move on. A lot of these guys would be more likely targets for early signing by teams with cap space to spare.

The advantage the Oilers have is that they can offer him a deal before he hits UFA status that gives him stability without the risk of ending up having to take a lesser deal. . Of course they may not choose to do so. But I suspect he ends up staying.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
With Vinny, he was such a long shot to get drafted, let alone make the NHL in the first place. I can see him being one of those loyal guys to the org because they stuck with him and gave him a shot. Guys like Vinny don’t forget about that kind of stuff.

He’ll sign with the Oilers and at a reasonable cap hit, I’m not worried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad