Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | ChaoticOrange: "The man you're looking for is Joel Persson"

Is Joel Perrson the man you're looking for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I suspect if the Oilers aren't in playoff contention, Nuge might be a deadline deal.
Be an interesting situation. By then Holland will have a good idea of what his new core is. RNH could have some value to those clubs that want to add, but don't want to blow the bank on a short term rental.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Strome was dealt once Chia fully realized he had destroyed the forward depth of the team with the Hall, Eberle deals and letting Maroon walk.

He needed more offence and gambled on Spooner who he drafted in Boston.

Blew up in his face, predictably.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Did McDavid do something to Chia? Trades way two of his friends and brings in a guy that broke his collarbone.

Like WTF?
I swear I think Chia was trying to get fired. Maybe upper management was vetoing his big plans and then he said f*** it fire me.

The Strome trade was a fireable offence on it's own. Manning also.
And the Koski overpay was the final straw.

Reactions: Duke74 and Aerchon

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Be an interesting situation. By then Holland will have a good idea of what his new core is. RNH could have some value to those clubs that want to add, but don't want to blow the bank on a short term rental.
That was my though, my other thought was the Oilers might just look to remake some of the roster and what Nuge would bring back (imo) could go a long way to that end.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I swear I think Chia was trying to get fired. Maybe upper management was vetoing his big plans and then he said **** it fire me.

If that’s the case then Nicholson should be gone as well, as he defended the contract and said it was a group decision that he signed off on.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Except they don’t. Source? His career numbers.

Let’s be real here if he was such a god awful defender as his Corsi suggests I would think he would be outscored by a pretty good margin over a nearly 800 game sample size no?

I mean going off Corsi and fenwick Milan Lucic was one of our most effective forwards this year. Which is more of a reach?

Good post... logic tells me that while banking the puck off the glass and out isn't very sexy, it's pretty tough to score from the neutral zone or from a non-blocked perimeter shot. I'm also aware that gaining the zone with control once the puck has been banked out and the defending team is waiting for you is not likely to lead to clean possession very often. In that situation, I'd be taking the bet on the defending team gaining the next clean zone entry.

Reactions: Raab

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I swear I think Chia was trying to get fired. Maybe upper management was vetoing his big plans and then he said **** it fire me.

He was desperate, he figured his job was saved when Hitch took over and then went on that little run.

Then Klefbom and Russell get hurt and it fell apart awfully quick. Manning/Petrovic were desperation deals to replace those two until they came back.

Koskinen signing I think was to show that he was still in charge and doing things, I believe by this point he and Nicholson had become "estranged" and weren't communicating much because Bobby Burgers knew he had to fire Chia most likely and he wanted to avoid doing that, so they were both avoiding each other.

Chia trying to keep up appearances like everything was OK kept making deals.

And yes, they both should have been axed.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If that’s the case then Nicholson should be gone as well, as he defended the contract and said it was a group decision that he signed off on.

Yes he should. I wonder if rumors of him taking over the IIHF when Fasel leaves in the near future are still out there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The problem that really hurt Chia is two fold on these deals.

One, he was going after guys he wanted in the past. Sure maybe there was a case for these guys at one point, but not when we got them.

Two, he didn't have enough from scouts to actually go and scout this useless players.

And to add a third, he didn't use the media. A simple tactic of leaking that we were looking at Manning and the media would've talked to their media friends in Chicago. They would've then found out that the guy was completely useless.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yes he should. I wonder if rumors of him taking over the IIHF when Fasel leaves in the near future are still out there.
Yes. That would be fantastic. He's better suited for that kind of role. He seems like a decent enough guy.

I don't understand why he's here when it seems as though Holland runs the entire hockey side and Tom Anselmi is now running the business side.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yes. That would be fantastic. He's better suited for that kind of role. He seems like a decent enough guy.

I don't understand why he's here when it seems as though Holland runs the entire hockey side and Tom Anselmi is now running the business side.

He was brought here so that we’d have a credible name in the front office. Turns out that running a NHL team is a whole lot more challenging than picking all star teams for team Canada every 4 years.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

His role now is to basically report back to Katz. I suspect he'll go running back to Hockey Canada soon, think he wanted to bail earlier in the year but Katz probably laid into him and told him he would have to find the new POHO/GM.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
His role now is to basically report back to Katz. I suspect he'll go running back to Hockey Canada soon, think he wanted to bail earlier in the year but Katz probably laid into him and told him he would have to find the new POHO/GM.
The guy really has the perfect gig right now. No one really knows what responsibility he truly has as he went out and hired enough people do to everything.

I suspect he's getting a pretty fat pay cheque to go along with it all, as well as whatever perks you get being Katz's buddy.

Heck why would he want to leave? Is he going to get an easier job with Hockey Canada or IIHF? One that pays as much as he gets now, and gives him unlimited resources to hire people to do all your work for you?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Which one is the development camp? The one that just passed? Didn't Holland say that they limited the number of invites because they wanted to focus their attention to their own prospects considering it was his first full month on the job?

Also, wouldn't Dougie have to foot the bill for travel expenses if he wanted to attend this camp considering his son is committed to an NCAA program?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Which one is the development camp? The one that just passed? Didn't Holland say that they limited the number of invites because they wanted to focus their attention to their own prospects considering it was his first full month on the job?

Also, wouldn't Dougie have to foot the bill for travel expenses if he wanted to attend this camp considering his son is committed to an NCAA program?
It's probably the rookie camp in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad