Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
A nice under the radar target could be someone like Wisniewski.

He'd be 34 going into next season, and this point he's nothing more than a #6. But he does bring offence, and could be a decent guy to push Benning and Bear for that final spot.

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Klefbom
Russell-Wisniewski
Benning

It doesn't have the flash of adding a Faulk or Green, but it is a way cheaper move.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

He'd be 34 going into next season, and this point he's nothing more than a #6. But he does bring offence, and could be a decent guy to push Benning and Bear for that final spot.

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Klefbom
Russell-Wisniewski
Benning

It doesn't have the flash of adding a Faulk or Green, but it is a way cheaper move.

He couldn't get a contract this season and went to Europe IIRC. Anyone know how his play there was?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He couldn't get a contract this season and went to Europe IIRC. Anyone know how his play there was?

He played Div 2 in the DEL for the Kassel Huskies (Kassel is a beautiful city btw) 33 GP, 9G, 33A, 44TP, 28 PIMs and was 1/1/2 in 5 games at the Olympics.

I’m not sure he has the wheels to compete in the current hi speed game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You know what's funny is people are complaining about guys like Faulk, Barrie or whoever as not being the answer. Over the years people balked at the idea of Byfuglien, Myers, Coburn, Mcdonagh, Girardi, Orpik, Niskanen, Orlov and a lot of the Vegas players.

Why are those players good enough for final four clubs now, but in the past 2-3 years they weren't good enough for our crap defense?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You know what's funny is people are complaining about guys like Faulk, Barrie or whoever as not being the answer. Over the years people balked at the idea of Byfuglien, Myers, Coburn, Mcdonagh, Girardi, Orpik, Niskanen, Orlov and a lot of the Vegas players.

Why are those players good enough for final four clubs now, but in the past 2-3 years they weren't good enough for our crap defense?

Because we know what's good for us. All the Nikitin's, Schultz's, Belov's, and Fayne's are what we need.

Reactions: Night Witch

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That works great when you have umpteen years to do so without getting ****canned.

Or maybe you don't get ****canned if you are good at your job?

I know but they gave up a decent prospect...plus they're paying him 6 mil for a looong time

article_fd32606c-3397-4b96-8d22-6b6c1fd0cf50.png

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Remember Seattle is coming online the same year as the options to open the CBA. Players want to risk losing a season the same year an expansion team, and the 50 NHL contracts it provides, comes online? I am not so sure about that and the Olympics appeal to a small percentage of the players. Most of the players dont play, and therefore wont want to burn a season of lost pay checks and possibly careers just so the elite players can have their fun.

The majority of NHL players won't carry about the 50 extra contracts. They will care about escrow. Same thing they have been complaining about since the last CBA.

I'll be shocked if there isn't some kind of work stoppage.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Klefbom
Russell-Wisniewski
Benning

Thought this was a post from two years ago, because most thought he was done then.

Can't be any worse than Gryba was last year I guess, plus he might still be able to shoot even if he can't skate.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The majority of NHL players won't carry about the 50 extra contracts. They will care about escrow. Same thing they have been complaining about since the last CBA.

I'll be shocked if there isn't some kind of work stoppage.

Sure they will, it is why they did not use the total inflator this year, because there were 50 new jobs that did not exist the year before. As for escrow, unless the NHLPA offers up a realistic alternative there is no other way to equitably divide HRR 50-50 without some form of holdback on player salaries until the total amount of HRR is known.

The problem is less as HRR grew at a slower pace for about 4 years, than the 5% inflator the players kept using. If players inflate salaries greater than the amount of HRR inflates, escrow becomes bigger. Its basic math and unavoidable. HRR is now back growing at the same or greater pace than the inflator so escrow becomes less.

You also have to look at why the players use the inflator. It is well documented that it is used primarily to guarantee more money for the pending free agents, who make up a handful of players each year. Point being players do care about a minority as they are conditioned to be team players, what is good for one player is good for all at some point.

Where the fight is going to be is what constitutes HRR, not escrow itself, and its a fight I think the players and league will put off till the CBA expires a couple of years after the option to open passes.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I think the players should either cancel the escrow or lower it to 2%. Cap is going up from revenue so now is the time to do it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think the players should either cancel the escrow or lower it to 2%. Cap is going up from revenue so now is the time to do it.
That's not exactly how escrow works. If the players had it their way there would be no escrow, but it's not really an option

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

tl;dr version:

The board was generally wrong about Byfuglien and Myers. General consensus now is that AV was horrible in NY and misused McDonagh and Girardi. Niskanen and Orlov were never balked at IIRC. Coburn and Orpik - meh. 85% of the Vegas roster had career years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
tl;dr version:

The board was generally wrong about Byfuglien and Myers. General consensus now is that AV was horrible in NY and misused McDonagh and Girardi. Niskanen and Orlov were never balked at IIRC. Coburn and Orpik - meh. 85% of the Vegas roster had career years.
How many d does this board actually want though? Every time a guy comes up there is a group of people that don't want him.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
How many d does this board actually want though? Every time a guy comes up there is a group of people that don't want him.

It's a pretty big epidemic on the board, yeah.

"How about this realistic potential option"
"No, I wouldn't trade midling-to-okay pieces for him, he sucks at 'this', only for the best player in the world would I trade these B-grade futures and trade pieces".

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I would take Myers this year
What would the cost be
Jets have a lot to sign I guess it depends if Troubadour wants to stay and for how much

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would take Myers this year
What would the cost be
Jets have a lot to sign I guess it depends if Troubadour wants to stay and for how much
It's really going to be interesting to see what that team looks like going forward.

Even outside of that issue with Trouba and all their RFA's and UFA's that they had before TDD. Does a Paul Stastny stick around? Guys made his money win or lose he might stick around in a place that looks pretty darn good right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->