Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I know it's a joke but what would they have to offer?

Well Karlsson is a RHD dman so i would imagine Hamonic would be going the other way...something like Hamonic+ Bennett+ (Calgary prospect). Meanwhile, the ask for us would be Draisaitl+Nurse+1st because Oilers.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Nicholson has be talking about Erik Karlsson. The Sens are rebuilding and Melnyk already said that the team has to cut there $68 million payroll. If they are cutting payroll how in the world are they going to be able to re-sign EK?

I don't know if we have the assets but I can see the Sens being interested in Yamamoto to pair him with his WJC linemate Brown. Maybe something like:
2018 1st (as long as it's not Dahlen)
2019 1st
Yamamoto
Puljijarvi
Benning

With Dorion at the helm maybe we can get EK for less...........

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
OEL is a defensive nightmare.

Good, not elite, offensive ability but trash tier defending. He's no #1 d-man. Faulk has been overrated in his career true. But OEL might be the most overrated player in the league over the last 1/2 decade.

OEL not elite offensively? How is a guy who scored 20+ goals in back-to-back years for one of the worst offensive clubs in the league not elite? Come on man. OEL has consistently been a top d-man on a woeful team. The guy has averaged 45 points over the past 4 years. That's really good on such a bad team. His defense is really not "trash tier" either. If he's not a #1D then there's extremely few #1D in this league. In my mind he's not any worse defensively than guys like Subban, Josi, Burns and Klingberg. Put him on a good team and he'd be getting legit Norris talk.

Reactions: LaGu
Oct 15, 2008
Some teams with tons of cap space wouldn't mind a physical, consistent 50pt scorer, and I'm sure teams like the leafs and islanders would love a sekera type.

And btw, I don't consider Sekera a cap dump.
If you have real world examples of teams taking on 12mill in net cap in a single trade I'm all ears.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Probable top 5 pick, Klefbom, RNH, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto. The Oilers have a lot of assets to package together for one. If they want to strike gold with Karlsson, they have Draisaitl as a trading chip (don't know how I'd feel about that one as good as Karlsson is).

Yeah I mean they technically have assets. I just think for a team that showed very little depth this year its pretty risky to trade a bunch of assets for a top pairing dman. The team also has very little depth in its prospect pipeline which is a huge issue imo.

Its no denying that this team needs some help on defense. But I dont think Nicholoson/Katz putting pressure on Chiarelli to pick up a top defenseman is a good thing. Its not easy to pick one up in the first place. Second its going to cost a ton. And third, which defenseman do you even target? Very little chance someones going to move their young stud defenseman who has a ton of good years ahead of him. He hasnt shown much success in making big trades, so he doesnt need the pressure on him to make one. Thats what scares me.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
So I took the evening off from hockey news last night.

What a stupid thing for Nicholson to say publicly.

Nice trade, Ottawa. :sarcasm:

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Nicholson has be talking about Erik Karlsson. The Sens are rebuilding and Melnyk already said that the team has to cut there $68 million payroll. If they are cutting payroll how in the world are they going to be able to re-sign EK?

I don't know if we have the assets but I can see the Sens being interested in Yamamoto to pair him with his WJC linemate Brown. Maybe something like:
2019 1st
Yamamoto
Puljijarvi
Benning

This, to me, is a gross overpayment and would send us back years. Our organization talent pool is already weak and you're willing to give up 4 (not including Benning) pretty high youngsters for Karlsson. I'd pass on this bigtime.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Katz nepotism. Full stop. That was 12 years ago. Blaming today's woes on 12 years ago is absolutely ridiculous.

I think it might be fair to argue that lack of capital from the EIG(no development program) is one of the primary reasons this mess got started.

It is of course entirely due to 'Katz nepotism' that it has taken this long and still isn't fixed though. It's also pretty hard to pile on the EIG too much given that without them the Oilers wouldn't even exist.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

2019 1st
Yamamoto
Puljijarvi
Benning

This will speed up the Sens rebuild while leaving so much to be desired on the Oilers end.

This is a bigger favor than what the Oilers did with the Barzal trade

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
OEL not elite offensively? How is a guy who scored 20+ goals in back-to-back years for one of the worst offensive clubs in the league not elite? Come on man. OEL has consistently been a top d-man on a woeful team. The guy has averaged 45 points over the past 4 years. That's really good on such a bad team. His defense is really not "trash tier" either. If he's not a #1D then there's extremely few #1D in this league. In my mind he's not any worse defensively than guys like Subban, Josi, Burns and Klingberg. Put him on a good team and he'd be getting legit Norris talk.
Over the last 10 seasons 8 defensemen have scored 20 or more goals over a season, OEL has done it twice. In his bad seasons (16/17 and 17/18) he is still comfortably in the top 20 in goal scoring among D and top 3 in PP goals scored. We sure could use a bit of help in that department.

In the end I think it is honestly difficult to be certain of his defensive abilities. I think he looks very good at times, and a bit worse at times, but seeing the tyre-fire of a team he is playing on I cannot say that I would blame even the best of Ds to struggle once in a while.

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
what a dumb comment to say , basically throwing the defensemen they have already under the bus, and its not talbots fault he's played absolutely horrible this year. Nicholson i guess is just as dumb as lowe and company and this team has no hope at all with these boneheads at the helm. how about get some SCORING WINGERS for MCDAVID!! One more season of this and i hope to god Mcdavid asks for a trade, can't stand seeing him frustrated and wasting his talent for these bums.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The only question is whether Kailer will be on McDavid and Draisaitl's line right away or by Halloween, lol who are we kidding. This team has no forward depth and little cap room.
Unfortunate that this is a reality, it’s annoying to already be penciling In unproven players

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
my current stance would be to treat this year as the outlier as opposed to last year.

get what you can for playera you arent resigning. Hit the draft out of the park somehow and keep adding depth.

im worried about talbot and todds.....*creativity*....but grass isnt always greener yadda yadda

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This, to me, is a gross overpayment and would send us back years. Our organization talent pool is already weak and you're willing to give up 4 (not including Benning) pretty high youngsters for Karlsson. I'd pass on this bigtime.

Ditto. Karlsson is gone in a year and/or will be the 2nd highest paid player in the league (if he doesnt get more than McDavid). No way Id sell the farm for a year of Karlsson. Especially considering we arent a cup threat next year (or even anywhere close). Wed sell the future just to make the playoffs.

Tampa should go for him and offer Sergahev + 1st or something. Atleastthey know if they get him, they have a better chance of resigning him and also that for the next 1.5 years they could legit win 2 cups

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
my current stance would be to treat this year as the outlier as opposed to last year.

get what you can for playera you arent resigning. Hit the draft out of the park somehow and keep adding depth.

im worried about talbot and todds.....*creativity*....but grass isnt always greener yadda yadda

Id be for this mentality if it meant standing pat with the current roster. The only thing Id like to see is some of the bad contracts being offloaded and maybe a smart UFA signing or two. Weather the storm of this season and next year I think well be rewarded

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
my first and sad attempt at photoshop

Attachments

• bobnic.jpg
    bobnic.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events